Old 10-11-2003, 10:12 PM
MC

Default Sodium Grow Light from Home Depot

I have read some people by the HPS at Home Depot and wire it for
growing plants indoors. I am planning on doing this given the
difference in price ($80) vs online sellers ($150). My question is
does the housing make much of a difference in how the light is
distributed? From the looks of it, the real HPS grow lights seem to
direct more light in a concentrated fashion while the HD lights are
for lighting a parking lot or something.
Old 11-11-2003, 04:32 PM
USA

I haven't seen the lights you mean here but for the shop light type I have
been advised I need the type with wide reflecting "wings". Reflectors are a
must.

Do you have a url to the ones you are talking about here?
--

USA
om...

Old 11-11-2003, 11:02 PM
MC

No, there is no link to the HD kind. However, this link will give you
a general Idea of what they look like.

http://www.electricsupplyonline.com/...s&item=W002981

"USA" wrote in message ...
I haven't seen the lights you mean here but for the shop light type I have
been advised I need the type with wide reflecting "wings". Reflectors are a
must.

Do you have a url to the ones you are talking about here?
--

USA
om...

Old 14-11-2003, 10:22 PM
Andrew Ostrander

I expect some people do buy High Pressure Sodium lights at Home Depot and
use them for growing plants indoors. They are brighter than High Density
sodium lights for the same amount of electricity. The design of the
reflector around the light is not particularly important, as long as it is
safe, but there are differences in results between the various styles.
There are alternative sources for HDS lamps besides Home Depot and online
sellers. In my city several hydroponic shops offer a selection of lamps
together with ADVICE.

om...

Old 14-11-2003, 11:02 PM

the problem is.... sodium lights put out in the yellow spectrum, not the wavelength
for chlorophyll. ???? Ingrid

"Andrew Ostrander" wrote:

I expect some people do buy High Pressure Sodium lights at Home Depot and
use them for growing plants indoors. They are brighter than High Density
sodium lights for the same amount of electricity. The design of the
reflector around the light is not particularly important, as long as it is
safe, but there are differences in results between the various styles.
There are alternative sources for HDS lamps besides Home Depot and online
sellers. In my city several hydroponic shops offer a selection of lamps
together with ADVICE

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 17-11-2003, 05:32 PM
MC

Thanks for the comments on the reflector.

I take anyone giving me "advice" that is making money off of that
"advice" with a grain on salt. That is why I am in these forums.
People on here have nothing to gain/lose from the advice unlike
salespeople or business owners trying to sell you something.

Also, Home Depot has buying power 1000X greater than the local grow
and brew and can sell HPS at a substantial discount even compared to
internet retailers.

"Andrew Ostrander" wrote in message ...
I expect some people do buy High Pressure Sodium lights at Home Depot and
use them for growing plants indoors. They are brighter than High Density
sodium lights for the same amount of electricity. The design of the
reflector around the light is not particularly important, as long as it is
safe, but there are differences in results between the various styles.
There are alternative sources for HDS lamps besides Home Depot and online
sellers. In my city several hydroponic shops offer a selection of lamps
together with ADVICE.

om...

Old 18-11-2003, 05:42 PM
Beecrofter

For a reflector you can use aluminum flashing in either bare or white.
Anybody doing a siding job will have coil stock and a bending brake
and can whip up a reflector in less time than it takes to smoke a
cigarette.
Bring the appropriate barter. coffee beer etc
Old 18-11-2003, 11:02 PM
Bill R

Beecrofter wrote:
For a reflector you can use aluminum flashing in either bare or white.
Anybody doing a siding job will have coil stock and a bending brake
and can whip up a reflector in less time than it takes to smoke a
cigarette.
Bring the appropriate barter. coffee beer etc

Good suggestion. I build one out of some left over flashing
from a roofing job. It is a good idea to paint the flashing
with white paint (be sure that you clean it first and that
you use paint that is recommended for aluminum). I found
that if you paint it, the light is more evenly distributed.
--
Bill R.

Remove No-Junk-Mail- in e-mail address to reply by e-mail

Old 14-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Registered User

If you are new to hydroponic gardening, you may feel a bit overwhelmed by the growth of all the different types of lights available. Each lamp can be most suitable for specific purposes, such as helping plants mature at different stages of growth. You may have heard that the high pressure sodium grow lights.
hydroponics

[IMG] code is On

New bushes from Home Depot Me Roses 4 29-01-2004 03:45 AM
Shade cloth at Home Depot? [email protected] Orchids 17 01-09-2003 05:22 PM
Rose bushes at Home Depot Mceezee Gardening 7 15-05-2003 02:56 AM
Salt at Home Depot or Lowes? Bob Ponds 3 12-05-2003 12:45 AM
whats' the chroma 50 bulb from wall mart or home depot Wynand Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 20-04-2003 06:15 AM