Old 11-11-2003, 02:02 AM
Salty Thumb

Default help with insect id

hey everyone,

can someone help me ID an insect? The insect is a bettle, yellow color
with black spots. I always thought it was a colorado potato bettle, but
then I looked that up and it doesn't look anything like it.

The spots are arranged like this: (- is the head)

_ooo
ooo

below and offset about 1/2 a spot from the top spots are another row of 3
spots more or less on the sides of the bettle. bettle is approximately 8
mm in length (6 mm body, 2 mm head, antenna length ~7mm) and 3 mm in body
width. carapace is not as round as a red ladybug. it's rather
rectanglur. spots are not perfectly round either, having about the same
proportions as the bettle's body. spots are a little over 1 mm in
diameter.

I've seen them in my garden, but this particular one was loitering around
inside the house. Right now he's under a glass and depending on what you
guys tell me, he'll either go smushy or get out of jail free.

I thought someone posted an insect id site earlier, but I can't find it
now.

Thanks for any help,

-- ST
Old 11-11-2003, 02:02 AM
JNJ

[...]

How about a cucumber beetle?

http://troyb.com/photo/gallery/065-3...mberBeetle.htm

http://insects.tamu.edu/fieldguide/bimg182.html

http://www.immersivephoto.com/Digita...eetle2214.html

http://oregonstate.edu/Dept/nurspest...ber_beetle.htm

James

Old 11-11-2003, 02:12 AM
Salty Thumb

"JNJ" wrote in
:

[...]

http://oregonstate.edu/Dept/nurspest...mber_beetle.ht

James

Yes! That's exactly it. Thanks!

The websites you provided don't make it out to be especially pestilent, but
inclined to go smushy on this guy. Anybody think I should let it go?

Thanks again,

- ST
Old 11-11-2003, 03:32 AM
Lar

In article ,
says...
"JNJ" wrote in
:

[...]

They can spread a type of vine wilt from plant to plant. Here is another
site.. http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2139.html
--
Neat site:
http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/j...su/powersof10/

Lar. (to e-mail, get rid of the BUGS!!

Old 11-11-2003, 04:02 AM
Salty Thumb

Lar wrote in
t:

The websites you provided don't make it out to be especially
estilent, but ) inclined to go smushy on this guy. Anybody think I
:should let it go? )
Thanks again,
They can spread a type of vine wilt from plant to plant. Here is
another site.. http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2139.html

okay, but Clarence is a spotted cucumber bettle. The page you list is for
striped cucumber bettles.

At any rate, Clarence is about to take a swim with the fishies.

Old 11-11-2003, 06:32 AM
Lar

In article ,
says...
okay, but Clarence is a spotted cucumber bettle. The page you list is for
striped cucumber bettles.

Well all righty..how about..
http://www.extension.iastate.edu/wap...vinsect10.html
http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.corne...cles/CucBW.htm
http://bugs.osu.edu/101/coleoptera/chrysSpCuc.htm

PS I think naming your garden pest is just a step away from naming your pre
butchered Thanksgiving dinner. :/

Old 11-11-2003, 04:22 PM
JNJ

Yes! That's exactly it. Thanks!

You're welcome.

The websites you provided don't make it out to be especially pestilent,

but
inclined to go smushy on this guy. Anybody think I should let it go?

If you have a vegetable garden then no -- you'll need to handle them before
a large population is able to build up. They tend to prefer the tender
young growth and can transmit bacteria wilt from plant to plant; the larvae
will eat growth underground. FWIW, striped or spotted, the issues and
resolutions are typically the same.

Control measures vary. Natural predators include braconid wasp, tachinid
flies, and beneficial nematodes. (Nematodes are good because they interrupt
the life cycle -- they get the larvae in the ground before they mature to
adults.) I've read that planting nasturtiums, catnip, tansy, or radishes
near your veges will help keep them at bay but I've never tried it. You can
spray with Neem as well.

Hope that helps!

James

[IMG] code is On

Help identifying insect Robert North Carolina 5 11-07-2004 06:08 PM
Insect Help Please STEVEN STEIN Edible Gardening 9 25-05-2004 03:10 PM
Help identifying insect Robert North Carolina 4 21-04-2004 05:05 PM
Help id an insect Vanis Texas 2 27-05-2003 03:44 AM
[IBC] Insect attack (was: [IBC] Need help with problem) Jim Lewis Bonsai 4 16-05-2003 07:44 PM