Old 13-11-2003, 07:32 PM
Bill Stock

Default Magic Tree Stump Dust

I recently removed a maple tree that had grown up between the neighbour's
lot and mine. Problem is that the tree has actually grown around the chain
link fence. I don't mean that the tree surrounds the fence, I mean that the
fence is in the tree. I removed as much as I can of the tree without
damaging the fence. But how do I get the rest of the stump out of the fence?

I can't burn it off, as the fence is vinyl coated. The only thing I can
think of is to drill as many holes as possible and let nature take it's
course.

Any suggestions?

Old 13-11-2003, 08:02 PM
hermine stover

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:26:48 GMT, "Bill Stock" wrote:

I recently removed a maple tree that had grown up between the neighbour's
lot and mine. Problem is that the tree has actually grown around the chain
link fence. I don't mean that the tree surrounds the fence, I mean that the
fence is in the tree. I removed as much as I can of the tree without
damaging the fence. But how do I get the rest of the stump out of the fence?

I can't burn it off, as the fence is vinyl coated. The only thing I can
think of is to drill as many holes as possible and let nature take it's
course.

Any suggestions?

Drill the holes and then get that stuff which causes stumps to rot and
stick it in the holes and keep at it, eventually you will prevail! it
is a boring job, hard to do in one sitting, and BORING. there is
always the last piece which is hung up in the fencing and seems to
persist forever! i hate that, i have had to remove long woody ivy from
chain link. SOME is still there!

hermine
Old 13-11-2003, 08:02 PM
ronm

why not just replace that section of chain link. I don't know if you could
just buy 2 ft of fence but mosy people that have installed chain link
usually have a few feet extra laying around.

e.rogers.com...

Old 14-11-2003, 01:02 PM
TOM KAN PA

why not just replace that section of chain link. I don't know if you could
just buy 2 ft of fence but mosy people that have installed chain link usually
have a few feet extra laying around.
____Reply Separator_____
A hell of a lot easier said than done!
And since most chain link posts are ten feet apart, how do you propose
replacing a two feet section?

Old 14-11-2003, 04:22 PM
Bill Stock

Thanks for the replies.

It looks like I'm in for a BORING summer, as Hermine suggested.

If I were to replace a section of Chain Link, I'd likey have to go from post
to post. Although a tension bar might allow you to join a short piece. The
tree stump is at the end of the fence BTW, so it's only one join, not two.

e.rogers.com...

Old 14-11-2003, 06:02 PM
hermine stover

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:16:39 GMT, "Bill Stock" wrote:

Thanks for the replies.

It looks like I'm in for a BORING summer, as Hermine suggested.

If I were to replace a section of Chain Link, I'd likey have to go from post
to post. Although a tension bar might allow you to join a short piece. The
tree stump is at the end of the fence BTW, so it's only one join, not two.

My situation is even more critical! not to be in a competition for
chain link problems...but my chain link is pre-stretched kennel
panels, made of fine link, about 1 and 1/4 inches square, custom
fabricated in about 1977! and part of a modular setup. High up in the
air where a person like me (short) can hardly reach. However, when i
dismantle it for relocating it here, it will be up on trestles, and i
will gently remove the last of this BURL WOOD, which is hyper hard and
has persisted for fifteen years, i am ashamed to admit. At today's
prices, replacement is not an option, this is bethanized chain lin,
smooth as silk and VERY EXPENSIVE. chain link can be very elegant if
the detailing is PERFECT, or it can look like a sagging mess. a whole
other story.
get out the drills and burs and work on it like fifteen minutes at a
time, with a radio or something for diversion.

hermine
Old 14-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Philip Lewis

"Bill Stock" writes:
Thanks for the replies.
It looks like I'm in for a BORING summer, as Hermine suggested.

another thought....
take a hand held belt sander to it.... get as close to the fence as
you dare.... then drill/hammer/chisel the rest out...

--
be safe.
flip

Old 15-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Hal

I've woven a strand into two ends of the fabric of a regular zinc
coated chain link fence and the only place it is even detectable is
the top and bottom where the single strand of fence is woven in and
not twisted to the mating/adjacent strand. Never worked with vinyl
coated, but don't think it would be a problem.

Regards,

Hal

Old 15-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Beecrofter

"Bill Stock" wrote in message le.rogers.com...
I recently removed a maple tree that had grown up between the neighbour's
lot and mine. Problem is that the tree has actually grown around the chain
link fence. I don't mean that the tree surrounds the fence, I mean that the
fence is in the tree. I removed as much as I can of the tree without
damaging the fence. But how do I get the rest of the stump out of the fence?

I can't burn it off, as the fence is vinyl coated. The only thing I can
think of is to drill as many holes as possible and let nature take it's
course.

Any suggestions?

Keep it moist and keep moistening it with a high nitrogen fertilizer
solution.
Wood is mostly carbon but if you provide enough nitrogen bacteria will
do all the work for you given time.
Old 15-11-2003, 02:42 PM
Dick Adams

"Bill Stock" wrote:

I recently removed a maple tree that had grown up between the neighbour's
lot and mine. Problem is that the tree has actually grown around the chain
link fence. I don't mean that the tree surrounds the fence, I mean that the
fence is in the tree. I removed as much as I can of the tree without
damaging the fence. But how do I get the rest of the stump out of the fence?

I can't burn it off, as the fence is vinyl coated. The only thing I can
think of is to drill as many holes as possible and let nature take it's
course.

Three ways I'd do it.
1) Split the stump into four pieces. Take out the pieces with a
stump puller or pour rock salt into the splits.

2) Drill dem holes deep. I'd use at least a 1-1/2" bit. And then
pour rock salt into the holes.

3) Hire a landscape contractor to pull it.

If you pull it, do not use a car or truck! Very dangerous.

Dick

Old 16-11-2003, 02:12 AM
Bill Stock

Gee,

If I'm going to drill 1-1/2" holes, might as well use dynamite! :-) Might
put a kink in the fence though. You know one of those Chain Kink fences.
Worked for my Grandfather's stumps.

On a side note. My grandparents added their basement several years after the
house was complete. Of course the house was sitting on the mother of all
rocks, pretty common where I grew up. So they had to blast a spot for the
furnace under the house.