Old 24-12-2003, 04:02 PM

Default you know you're a mad gardener when......

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=27 9
you need to do an amazon.com search, find the specific one you want and then put your
name on a list to find it. I finally found a copy of the first book I ever read,
(Little John Little), this way. Ingrid

madgardener wrote:
Another book I'd just love to
find a copy of is The Water Babies.........sigh. My search has gone on
for this book for decades. I remember the original one in my
elementary school in Nashville I checked out continuously with
rememberance of Chimney sweepTom and Mrs. Doasyouwouldbedoneby and
Miss Beasyouhavealwaysbeen and the waterbabies..................if I
EVER find a copy of that with the original prints throughout the book,
I will be a happy bookworm...............
madgardener

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 24-12-2003, 04:12 PM

see the films, then read the books. the books are so densely packed they are really
independent from the films in so many ways. even having seen the movies, got the
movies I continue to reread the books. She really is a superb writer. Ingrid

animaux wrote:
I was wanting to READ Harry Potter before I saw the films.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 24-12-2003, 06:12 PM
animaux

Will do. I usually like to read first, then see. With films like fantasy of
any kind, it's better for me to read first. I like to form my own visual image,
rather than to have the one of the film. Though, I did read the film closely
resembled the story and was relatively close in its appointments.

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 16:00:14 GMT, opined:

animaux wrote:
I was wanting to READ Harry Potter before I saw the films.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 24-12-2003, 07:12 PM
Ann

animaux expounded:

I suppose. However, I don't think children should be introduced to hardship in
films or television. Real life has plenty of hardship to overcome and that's
where I believe those lessons should be learned. Not forced on us in a
fictional way. The images of hardship in film media leaves an indelible
impression in the mind of a child. At least it did with me.

Another Bambi survivor! G I was traumatized by Bambi, the thought
of my parents dying and leaving me alone haunted me after seeing that
movie.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA

Old 24-12-2003, 07:12 PM
Ann

animaux expounded:

Will do. I usually like to read first, then see. With films like fantasy of
any kind, it's better for me to read first. I like to form my own visual image,
rather than to have the one of the film. Though, I did read the film closely
resembled the story and was relatively close in its appointments.

That was the beauty for me of the LOTR series. The movie nailed
Middle Earth for me perfectly. I had tears in my eyes when I saw
Hobbittown (yes, I know, I'm a sap!!)

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 25-12-2003, 01:02 AM
madgardener

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 13:45:30 -0500, Ann wrote:

animaux expounded:

Will do. I usually like to read first, then see. With films like fantasy of
any kind, it's better for me to read first. I like to form my own visual image,
rather than to have the one of the film. Though, I did read the film closely
resembled the story and was relatively close in its appointments.

That was the beauty for me of the LOTR series. The movie nailed
Middle Earth for me perfectly. I had tears in my eyes when I saw
Hobbittown (yes, I know, I'm a sap!!)

then I'm a bigger one. I wept when I sat in the theater when Squire
took me to the first one, cried when I saw the Ents, and BOTH of us
wept ALOT during the Return of the Kings, so I guess we're ALL saps!!
(like I said in the first post, considering how much I cried, I was
rather surprised that I still had to pee.........GBSEG I don't have
your e-mail address for some reason e-mail me!!
madgardener
Old 26-12-2003, 02:32 PM
animaux

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 13:44:16 -0500, Ann opined:

animaux expounded:

I suppose. However, I don't think children should be introduced to hardship in
films or television. Real life has plenty of hardship to overcome and that's
where I believe those lessons should be learned. Not forced on us in a
fictional way. The images of hardship in film media leaves an indelible
impression in the mind of a child. At least it did with me.

Another Bambi survivor! G I was traumatized by Bambi, the thought
of my parents dying and leaving me alone haunted me after seeing that
movie.

My mother tells me when she brought me to see it I had to be removed from the
theater. I was screaming and crying. I've never seen Bambi, to this day. Only
those short minutes in the theater.
Old 26-12-2003, 06:42 PM
Zemedelec

Real life has plenty of hardship to overcome and that's
where I believe those lessons should be learned. Not forced on us in a
fictional way.

Agreed. And not hidden from us either. I'll never forget a relative lying to
me and telling me they'd found a new home for my old horse, when in fact he was
bound for the glue factory. I'd seen a horse "put down" for inoperable
gangrene, and held the halter because the owner was too upset. A quick death
for a dying animal was part of my life.
zemedelec