Old 22-12-2003, 11:42 PM
Shell

Default you know you're a mad gardener when......

I try to wait for the extended/director's cut/collector's editions
especially on anything Pixar puts out I love all the extra stuff.

Shell

"madgardener" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:31:38 GMT, wrote:

LOL... yep, I saw them too. I know there was a lot of talk about they

started 2
years before to landscape for the shooting... 2 years for the plants to

mature and
look like they been there a while. wasnt it an incredible movie? Ingrid

yes absolutely incredible. I can't wait now for them to release the
DVD to complete the set we've gotten already. (I have a bad habit of
purchasing the first release and then they came out with the extended
versions. This time I will hold back and wait until I know it's the
only version they're releasing. I told my husband it was a nice back
up DVD collection we have and he just says "yeah, right" but he loves
these movies too. Starz was playing the extended version back to back
with the release of Two Towers this weekend, but I pointed out to him
that the Two Towers version was the first release and not the extended
version. But it was nice to see both of them and then go to the Return
of the King the next morning. (boy was he glad I purchased the
tickets online for mattinee and we got there 45 minutes early for best
seating. The place filled up completely and they were showing it in
two theaters where we were)
Maddie

Old 23-12-2003, 01:02 AM
SAS567

Actually, this is what got me into the industry. I used to go to my favorite
garden center all the time. I'd walk around looking at plants, pulling
weeds,
cleaning the plants, even watered some. The owner came over to me one day
and
asked if I'd like to work there. I quit my 18 dollar an hour (20 years ago)
job and worked for 6 dollars an hour at the garden center. I never looked
back.
After a year I was the manager and director of the herb division. I went to
school, became a grower and that was that.

Wow, that's awesome. That's what I call following your dreams!
Sue in Mi. (zone 5)
Old 23-12-2003, 03:07 AM
animaux

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 16:00:05 GMT, "rosie" opined:

I quit my 18 dollar an hour (20 years ago)
job and worked for 6 dollars an hour at the garden center. I

never looked
back.

there is NO MONEY and NOTHING like working at something you love!
congrats to you!

Yes, I never felt so free. I am starting to grow again. My neighbor has more
acreage than we and isn't using an inch of it. Next year I am going to buy two
larger greenhouses and pay her rent from November till March. Clearly, I can
sell what I grow, since I did last spring and this fall.

I'd love to make 5,000 dollars a year, but that is pipe dreams!
Old 23-12-2003, 03:08 AM
animaux

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 17:12:09 -0500, madgardener opined:

[...]

Do wait. They will release it again in a three picture set, probably with about
15 DVDs! I still haven't seen any of these films, nor Harry Potter films, but I
will catch up. I'm waiting for The Matrix to come out in a box set. That was
the most about Buddhism in any film that I've seen, sans Seven Years in Tibet or
Kundun.

Victoria
Old 23-12-2003, 05:32 AM
madgardener

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 02:55:32 GMT, animaux
wrote:

Do wait. They will release it again in a three picture set, probably with about
15 DVDs! I still haven't seen any of these films, nor Harry Potter films, but I
will catch up. I'm waiting for The Matrix to come out in a box set. That was
the most about Buddhism in any film that I've seen, sans Seven Years in Tibet or
Kundun.

Victoria

my problem would be that I have the extended first two, and I wouldn't
be able to afford a boxed set. You ain't seen the Harry Potter
films???? Honey I don't get out and even I"VE seen the Harry Potter
films and have them on DVD g (I keep begging son to find his books
so I can READ them.........and this summer, THIS SUMMER the next one
is due out! This is starting to get fun. Makes getting well into 50
worth the wait. I had fun as a twenties and some during my 30's but my
Crone teen years are a riot. Who knew?? gBSEG Even the re-release
of Peter Pan looks like it's worthy of the story. Now if only they'd
do a REAL version of the dark story about Mary Poppins. She was never
a wholesome rosy cheeked nanny. She was a witchly, stern character and
when I read her story one rainy day in my huge over sized closet, I
had nightmares for weeks.................Another book I'd just love to
find a copy of is The Water Babies.........sigh. My search has gone on
for this book for decades. I remember the original one in my
elementary school in Nashville I checked out continuously with
rememberance of Chimney sweepTom and Mrs. Doasyouwouldbedoneby and
Miss Beasyouhavealwaysbeen and the waterbabies..................if I
EVER find a copy of that with the original prints throughout the book,
I will be a happy bookworm...............
madgardener

Old 23-12-2003, 02:03 PM
animaux

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 00:13:18 -0500, madgardener opined:

[...]

They'll have film 3 on a separate package. Not everyone has the money to rebuy
whenever the release new "editions." It's all a ploy.

I was wanting to READ Harry Potter before I saw the films. I'm about 5 Anne
Rice books, behind. When I was in treatment I had horribly blurred vision so
couldn't read, or stitch, too weak to garden or paint the house or decorate or
anything. Now I have energy, and eyesight and I'm on over load!

I'll look for The Water Babies. Is it a childrens book? We have many used
bookstores in Austin.

....and I never knew that about Mary Poppins. I really dislike Disney...didnt'
they do Mary Poppins? They can't seem to make a childrens movie without scaring
the shit out of the kid with the first ten minutes. Wasn't Nemo, Disney? First
few minutes the mother gets offed. Nice.

Keep warm,
Old 23-12-2003, 03:12 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 12/23/03 8:52 AM, in article ,
"animaux" wrote:

[...]

Funny, I have the same basic complaint about Disney. The only ones that I
can think out with out death are Toy Story, TS2 and ( I think, never saw the
whole thing) Monsters, Inc.

Cheryl

Old 23-12-2003, 08:12 PM
Syd

They were very colorful but didn't look all that real. Do you think
they used real flowers? Syd
madgardener wrote in message . ..
you know you're a madgardener when you're sitting in the theater,
watching "Return of the Kings" and you catch yourself telling your
spouse that the bright red flowers outside Sam Gamgee's house at the
end of the movie are very healthy nasturtiums.............
madgardener

Old 24-12-2003, 12:32 AM
Dvd

Get a certificate to prove it:
http://home.golden.net/~dhobson/madsoc.htm

And check out the mad ones:
http://home.golden.net/~dhobson/madones.html

http://www.gardenhumor.com

Old 24-12-2003, 01:03 AM
animaux

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 15:08:41 GMT, Cheryl Isaak
opined:

Funny, I have the same basic complaint about Disney. The only ones that I
can think out with out death are Toy Story, TS2 and ( I think, never saw the
whole thing) Monsters, Inc.

Cheryl

No death in Monsters Inc. but very emotional situations for little children to
deal with. Getting lost, secret, scary doors, etc.

Old 24-12-2003, 03:02 AM
madgardener

"animaux" wrote in message
news
They'll have film 3 on a separate package. Not everyone has the money to
rebuy
whenever the release new "editions." It's all a ploy.

yeah, but for those of us who at first didn't know they were releasing
extended versions..........I didn't purchase the second one, Squire did. I
was willing to wait for the release of the extended version but he was
champing at the bit to own a copy of Two Towers so there you
go............patience is a virtue g

I'll look for The Water Babies. Is it a childrens book? We have many

used
bookstores in Austin.

I found it thanks to a most remarkable woman by the name of Allegra Smith
who sent me a weblink this morning. Border's bookstore is searching for it
for me currently. I hope by the time they locate it (I do so HOPE they find
it!) I'll have the money saved up. There were two listed. One was printed
in 1937 and the one I ordered was a reprint in 1980. Written by Charles
Kingsley and Illustrated by Linley Sambourne. I wept when I went to the
link this morning.

...and I never knew that about Mary Poppins. I really dislike

Disney...didnt'
they do Mary Poppins?

Yes, they did. The funny thing was originally Walt did the darker stories.
The brothers Grimm weren't all pastels and such. And Mother Goose and such
weren't always nice as much as necessairy tales to teach morals and the
like.

They can't seem to make a childrens movie without scaring
the shit out of the kid with the first ten minutes. Wasn't Nemo, Disney?

First
few minutes the mother gets offed. Nice.

Ahhh but that is what life is about honey. Fish eats fish, and on up the
food chain. I think I'd rather have a good annimation with reality
portrayed than "cleaning it up and glossing over the reality" of life's
harshness. I got rather tired of the fluffy images that have been spun out
of the last few decades. It never taught children the reality of life.
Fairy tales are wonderful, but there are still fairies that bite...........

Keep warm,

today was remarkable! It got up to 68o!! Now it's raining and for a brief
moment I was able to go out today and lay the metal spring things I've had
all these years Lets hope that Sugars digging hasn't killed the roots of
most of my perennials. (I hope all she's done is a little division, but I'm
not being unrealistic either) pics of the beds before her destruction would
show you why I freaked (she dug in the same box again sometime last night
and that's why I got off my butt and laid down the metal spring things
today. It's large enough to lift easy and wide enough to allow plants to pop
thru and when the bags of soil thaws, I will lay soil over the holes and
plant things as I see what returns if anything.
(hug)
maddie

Old 24-12-2003, 03:06 AM
madgardener

"Dvd" wrote in message
Get a certificate to prove it:

I don't have to prove I'm a madgardener. I've been THE madgardener since
1986. I have the issue of Organic Gardening with the letter I wrote to Mike
McGrath when he was the editor after Robert Rodale died where I wrote to him
about the "triffid like Cleome spinosa" in my gardens in Nashville and
signed it the madgardener. I dropped my handle of years of Madwoman to
Madgardener when I became aware of my budding obsession with horticulture
when I returned to Tennessee in 1983. Mike not only answered it, he titled
it and put the first piece of title in the contents page. A HUGE trowel in
my garden bucket. We've crossed garden paths before. I have always called
myself madgardener, and thanks to the endearment of a music dj friend who
has decided to shorten it, I've taken on Aunt Maddie now as well. I am not
here to contest you or the title you use. There's even a book written by
Sarah Watkins called Garden Madness. But I don't have to prove I am THE
madgardener or that I am a madgardener. It speaks for itself.
madgardener up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee, zone 7, Sunset zone 36

Old 24-12-2003, 10:32 AM
Dvd

Whoa! OK, you are THE original MAD GARDENER, but not the only mad gardener.
Keep your trowel holstered. It's only for fun.

Merry Christmas!

Old 24-12-2003, 02:32 PM
animaux

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 01:24:13 GMT, Cheryl Isaak
opined:

But don't most good movies (for the younger set) deal with overcoming some
fear/hardship?
Cheryl

I suppose. However, I don't think children should be introduced to hardship in
films or television. Real life has plenty of hardship to overcome and that's
where I believe those lessons should be learned. Not forced on us in a
fictional way. The images of hardship in film media leaves an indelible
impression in the mind of a child. At least it did with me.