Old 15-01-2004, 03:02 AM
MLW

Default Wind Chimes

"Broomhilda" wrote in message
nk.net...
I have heard about a windchime that is sort of tuned???? Don't know what
they are called. Can anyone help me?

Thanks a bunch

Broom Hilda

This site has some nice chimes. Our local nursery had some for sale at
Christmas time that were from this company and they sounded very nice. I
still prefer my bamboo chimes though.
http://www.musicofspheres.com/

Mary

Old 15-01-2004, 10:02 AM
David Hill

Why not a "Mono chime" just the one pipe and nothing else for those that
like a quiet garden.

Wonder if anyone has tried an Aeolian harp in the garden?

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 15-01-2004, 03:32 PM
Broomhilda

Used to write a long time ago but gave it up when my agent said I should add
more sex. I figured if that's what it took to sell a book forget it. I
refuse to write that stuff.

"Starlord" wrote in message
I kind of write Sci-Fi shorts.

http://adworld.netfirms.com

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Ad World
http://adworld.netfirms.com

"Broomhilda" wrote in message
nk.net...

So, under what name are your books published?

I don't know Stephen King although my best friend lives close to him. I
think Stephen King is a great writer but I don't read him anymore. I

don't
like his subject matter.

Salem's Lot scared me so badly. I was sitting alone in a field in the
mountains one night and I swear the trees started closing in on me and

it
was all Stephen King's fault. Haven't read another of his since.
"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article et,
"Broomhilda" wrote:

What a wonderful mind you have. Ever think of taking up writing for

living? I think you would probably outsell Stephen King.

No one outsells Stephen King. Though you may not have meant that, in

fact
Stephen's a pal; he wrote a generous introduction for one of my books
years ago. That was an anthology of new writers & when I told Stephen
these unheard-of folks would not be easy sales on the strength of

their
names, he lent his, writing a long juicy introduction commenting on

each
tale. This insured that the volume became a bestseller on genre lists,
which in turn made it easy to sell a second volume. That's old history
now, & a few of those then-new writers have gone on to great success,
others have never been heard of since. More recently: at start of this
month I sold a tale called "A Bottle of Egyptian Night" to a major
anthology; I had a collection of my own tales issued in December by a
Canadian publisher as THE DEEP MUSEUM; & I have my own edited-series
called "Grim Maids," collections of Victorian women's supernatural

tales
(volume 5 appeared last November as THE EMPIRE OF DEATH, complete

weird
tales of Alice Brown, with my monograph on her life & works for
introduction; & will turn in a new volume within a couple weeks after

final revision of the long introduction, that one'll be issued as THE
DREAMS OF GHOSTS, complete supernatural tales of Annie Trumbull

Slosson).
Then just three weeks ago I was called up by Fox television who want

option an old novel of mine for a mini-series. Productions almost

never
follow mere options, but I immediately turned the negotiation over to

my
agent to try to get the most possible for the mere option since odds

are
against my ever getting anything else out of the deal. Though if I

ever do
get to see it produced by Fox, woo-hoo! Fox's vice-pres asked me to
imagine Lucy Lu starring, so even as "just talk" this has been a bit

of a
thrill.

Even with some slightly noticeable success, however, it's a stupid way

try to make a living, & it has made me the opposite of rich -- though

at
least I've not had to have any boss but myself for a couple of

decades.

-paggers

"paghat" wrote in message
news Wind chims in gardens are horrifying. They are noisy & annoying &

disturb
the natural sounds a garden can engender with birds & crickets &

rainfall
& rustling leaves & water features.

When some loon collects ten to sixty rackety hanging bits of

ugly-ass
chimes to dangle all around the edges of their home, they make

themselves
a nuisance to their neighborhood. Such collectors should be shot

dead
by
their own drug-dealing teenagers during a drive-by, the corpse

buried
under dismantled windchimes & left to decay right there on the

broken-down
porch of the chimester's trailer house.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"

---

Old 15-01-2004, 04:02 PM
Starlord

I wite my own and have never submitted it anyplace, I run the site I posted and
have my stuff there for sale, it's open to anyone who wants to sell their own
writings on there. I do Sci-Fi, but any type is welcome. I've made a few sales
there, will not get rich, but it's a place to do it and no one to say what
should or should not be in it.

[...]

"Starlord" wrote in message
I kind of write Sci-Fi shorts.

http://adworld.netfirms.com

---

Old 15-01-2004, 04:07 PM
Starlord

It's been a long time, but I once saw on a trip across the US with my folks a
place where a guy lived on open ranch type land. He had put up tall poles and
strung cables from them, in the wind the cables made their sounds. Each cable a
tone of it's own and you could tell by the tones just how fast the winds where
blowing. He said if you heard the deepest note of all, you had to get to cover
as it would take a 150mph wind to make that tone!

Old 15-01-2004, 06:32 PM
paghat

In article et,
"Broomhilda" wrote:

Used to write a long time ago but gave it up when my agent said I should add
more sex. I figured if that's what it took to sell a book forget it. I
refuse to write that stuff.

One of my novels had exactly one paragraph tepidly describing a sexual
interlude & the copyeditor marked it for removal. I talked my editor into
putting it back, it was such an innocuous little scene & stupid to censor
it. For genre books like science fiction & mysteries & Harlequin romances,
it's still to a large extent 1955, it's still assumed only young teens or
very immature adults buy paperbacks despite that they're not labeled for
kids, & so including even slight adult-content can be an uphill battle.

Old 15-01-2004, 06:33 PM
TOM KAN PA

Sounds like a lot of the readers of this thread would be interested in
purchasing a set of the windchimes I manufacture. They are made out of foam
rubber.

Old 17-01-2004, 03:03 PM
Karen

Hahaha...in your wet dreams!

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:35:34 GMT, animaux wrote:
Some day I will get a large gong. By large, I mean about 24 inches.

Yes, chimes, bells, gongs and such are all used in monastic life to represent
the vibration of the universe. They represent causation and affliction in that
when they touch, they make a noise.

Some day I will get a large gong. By large, I mean about 24 inches.

Victoria

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:37:14 GMT, "Broomhilda"
opined:

Thanx. Found a wonderful source online. The chimes almost sound like they
have an organ in the background.
thank you again.

Pixi alias Broomhilda

"animaux" wrote in message
. ..
On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:10:53 GMT, "Broomhilda"
opined:

I have heard about a windchime that is sort of tuned???? Don't know what
they are called. Can anyone help me?

Thanks a bunch

Broom Hilda

There are wind chimes which have a certain resonance in their tone. They

aren't
tuned in the way a guitar is tuned, but are placed with other lengths of
whatever the chime is made of to produce a melodic tone in conjunction

with the
other notes of the chimes. The larger the chimes, the deeper the tones.

I made
my own using copper pipe. I used 1.5" pipe cut at different lengths. I

don't
know if mine are "tuned" to be harmonic or not, but they don't sound like

those
annoying tinkly small ones.

Old 17-01-2004, 07:33 PM
Broomhilda

So, under what name are your books published?

I don't know Stephen King although my best friend lives close to him. I
think Stephen King is a great writer but I don't read him anymore. I don't
like his subject matter.

Salem's Lot scared me so badly. I was sitting alone in a field in the
mountains one night and I swear the trees started closing in on me and it
was all Stephen King's fault. Haven't read another of his since.
"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article et,
"Broomhilda" wrote:

What a wonderful mind you have. Ever think of taking up writing for a
[...]

introduction; & will turn in a new volume within a couple weeks after a
final revision of the long introduction, that one'll be issued as THE
DREAMS OF GHOSTS, complete supernatural tales of Annie Trumbull Slosson).
Then just three weeks ago I was called up by Fox television who want to
option an old novel of mine for a mini-series. Productions almost never
follow mere options, but I immediately turned the negotiation over to my
agent to try to get the most possible for the mere option since odds are
against my ever getting anything else out of the deal. Though if I ever do
get to see it produced by Fox, woo-hoo! Fox's vice-pres asked me to
imagine Lucy Lu starring, so even as "just talk" this has been a bit of a
thrill.

Even with some slightly noticeable success, however, it's a stupid way to

Old 18-01-2004, 09:34 PM
animaux

I don't have wet dreams. I have a 42 year old husband!

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 07:53:35 -0700, Karen opined:

Old 19-01-2004, 01:02 AM
D Kat

I also used copper piping that you can buy at a hardware store (the heavier
1" pipe used for plumbing) and made windchimes. A 10' piece cost almost
nothing and a little pipe cutter was just a few dollars if that. They are
very easy to use and give a nice cut. Use sandpaper to smooth the edges.
My son who a musician said to just make them 1" difference in length and
that worked well for me. I then drilled a hole 1" from the top to run a
nylon string through. The only hard part was getting the hole symetrically
straight. It would have been nice to have had a drill press rather than
judging by eye.

DKat

"Karen" wrote in message
Hahaha...in your wet dreams!

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:35:34 GMT, animaux wrote:
Some day I will get a large gong. By large, I mean about 24 inches.

Yes, chimes, bells, gongs and such are all used in monastic life to

represent
the vibration of the universe. They represent causation and affliction

in that
when they touch, they make a noise.

Some day I will get a large gong. By large, I mean about 24 inches.

Victoria

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:37:14 GMT, "Broomhilda"

opined:

Thanx. Found a wonderful source online. The chimes almost sound like

they
have an organ in the background.
thank you again.

Pixi alias Broomhilda

"animaux" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

[IMG] code is On

Wind, wind and more wind. David Hill United Kingdom 5 03-01-2014 11:03 PM
Wind Chimes kind of Starlord Gardening 10 03-02-2004 02:17 PM
Wind Chimes kind of Starlord Gardening 1 01-02-2004 10:35 PM
Wind Chimes kind of Starlord Gardening 0 01-02-2004 10:09 PM
Wind Chimes Broomhilda Gardening 1 21-01-2004 04:43 PM