Old 15-01-2004, 02:04 AM
Starlord

Default Wind Chimes--responsible owners

Hay! There's a nice pile of BIG steel pipes up the road a ways, each one about
24inch wide, hmmm ... think I could cut them into 10ft long pices and make a
realy BIG windchime out of them.

--
"In this universe the night was falling,the shadows were lengthening
But elsewhere the stars were still young and the light of morning

Arthur C. Clarke, The City & The Stars

SIAR
www.starlords.org
Freelance Writers Shop
http://www.freelancewrittersshop.netfirms.com
Telescope Buyers FAQ
http://home.inreach.com/starlord
Ad World
http://adworld.netfirms.com

"paghat" wrote in message
news
In article , Frogleg
wrote:

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 13:46:12 -0800,
(paghat) wrote:

Wind chims in gardens are horrifying. They are noisy & annoying & disturb
the natural sounds a garden can engender with birds & crickets & rainfall
& rustling leaves & water features.

Different strokes. I don't happen to have or care for wind chimes at
my house, but next door neighbor has one with gentle bell-like tones.
It's quite pleasant to hear on a breezy day. *Considerably* more
enjoyable than blue jays or squirrels yelling at each other. Wind
chimes in gardens have a long history, and are by no means chosen
exclusively by trailer park dwellers.

One not too loud & bongy chime is not the same as those loons who collect
them for all over their porch & on all sides of their houses.

The only noise I ever made that annoyed a neighbor was when a corner of
the deck's roof rattled in high winds. The neighbor came over with ladder,
drill, & bucket of screws, & asked if he could climb up there & fix it, &
said thanks yes.

-paggers

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/

---

Old 15-01-2004, 03:12 PM
Frogleg

(paghat) wrote:

Wind chims in gardens are horrifying. They are noisy & annoying & disturb
the natural sounds a garden can engender with birds & crickets & rainfall
& rustling leaves & water features.

Different strokes. I don't happen to have or care for wind chimes at
my house, but next door neighbor has one with gentle bell-like tones.
It's quite pleasant to hear on a breezy day.

One not too loud & bongy chime is not the same as those loons who collect
them for all over their porch & on all sides of their houses.

So you don't require silence, but merely sound that suits *your*
tastes and in the concentration and volume you enjoy. Some like the
sound of children at play; others don't. Some would be delighted to
have a string quartet playing in the garden next door; others (it
seems) would leap over a fence to take a chainsaw to a cello.

As for multiple sets of windchimes, didja ever see 'Body Heat'
(Kathleen Turner, William Hurt)? The behavior, ahem, wasn't exemplary,
but the movie *wasn't* set in a trailer park. :-)

It is unfortunate that we can't all live with precisely the conditions
we prefer, and without any sort of intrusion from other people.
Communities, municipalities, and states enact ever more regulations to
declare what is and isn't acceptable. I understand there are many
places where you can't hang laundry on a back yard clothesline because
it's an "eyesore." Some areas restrict the colors which may be used
painting a house. Most non-rural areas have anti-noise regs based
(usually) on decibel level, but if you want your house and garden to
be entirely free of unwanted noise, insulate, put up a noise-baffling
fence, or move to the middle of 5 acres where no human presence will
intrude. Neighbors' outdoor parties have kept me awake, but I figure a
little celebration from time to time isn't lethal. I don't *know* what
I'd do if a low-decibel wind chime were driving me mad. Probably try
to ignore it first, and maybe speak to the neighbor, and/or try to
find a more musical/tolerable version to give them. It's *such* a
small thing.
Old 16-01-2004, 03:02 AM
Anthony Aversano

On Wed, 14 Jan 2004 17:32:17 -0800, "Starlord" wrote:

Hay! There's a nice pile of BIG steel pipes up the road a ways, each one about
24inch wide, hmmm ... think I could cut them into 10ft long pices and make a
realy BIG windchime out of them.

Actually that brings up a good question, just how big of wind chimes can a
person make before they don't sound "right" anymore?

Tony
Old 16-01-2004, 06:42 AM
Tallgrass

Frogleg wrote in message . ..

or move to the middle of 5 acres where no human presence will
intrude.

Unfortunately, this isn't going to do it, just five acres.

Now, at least a quarter mile *might* be sufficient....

Linda H.
Old 01-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Registered User

Speakers Corner
Post a response Ask a question

It's free to register, to post a question or to start a discussion

Welcome lurp

My Posts | View Forum Rules | Contact Forum Editor

Print
Send as Email
Recommend on Facebook
Retweet
Digg
Share on Tumblr
LoveThis

Wind Chimes, love them or hate them

« previous 1 2 3 4 5
countryboy

Likes # 0

Posted July 26, 2007 at 3:28PM

Wind Chimes, love them or hate them, I heat them and currently my life is being ruined by wind chimes in my neighbour's garden. I have been through the local council route and they tell me that unless the noise can be classified as a statutory nuisance they have very limited power other than to ask him take them down at night. I find it hard to comprehend that people are allowed to blight other people's lives in this way, If they played music in there garden all day I am sure they would be forced to stop it, but wind chime, they can do as they please, talk about the classic Chinese water torture. There seems to be no way to stop this noise pollution at the moment, so may be it's time that a legal way be found for it to be stopped. I have no idea how this could be bought into existence, but I am sure there are thousands and thousands of people up and down the country who would be very pleased if something could be done.

Like this post

by date
by votes

wee eddie

Likes # 0

Posted August 5, 2007 at 3:30PM

Join them, but in a different octave

Like this post
lurp

Likes # 0

Posted 1 minute ago

We are being tortured by next door neighbour's wind chimes. He put them up a few weeks ago and will not discuss a compromise, being very bullish and I cannot understand his nasty attitude when we have previously got on and I have always been considerate. I am very distressed at the constant noise and lack of control that I have in that I cannot sit in my own garden or new conservatory as it does my head in. I have made complaint to the council. We have set up an e-petition (British Government), please sign it as you don't know when you might become a victim.
Ban wind chimes in built up areas - e-petitions epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions To ban wind chimes in built up areas where the noise can be heard in adjacent properties. The human rights act states 'the right to peaceful enjoyment of your property'. I wish, ideally, a law making these nuicances illegal. Please pass this on to your friends as we needs one hundred thousand signatures before it will be discussed in Parliament. Just go into the web address and search with 'wind chimes'

[IMG] code is On

Wind, wind and more wind. David Hill United Kingdom 5 03-01-2014 11:03 PM
Wind Chimes kind of Starlord Gardening 10 03-02-2004 02:17 PM
Wind Chimes kind of Starlord Gardening 1 01-02-2004 10:35 PM
Wind Chimes kind of Starlord Gardening 0 01-02-2004 10:09 PM
Wind Chimes Broomhilda Gardening 1 21-01-2004 04:43 PM