Old 09-10-2006, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Spring has sprung?!

It's certainly a crazy year. One of our well-established tree ferns is
sending out new fronds! I'm off down the garden to inspect the rest and see
what's going on.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Old 09-10-2006, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's certainly a crazy year. One of our well-established tree ferns is
sending out new fronds! I'm off down the garden to inspect the rest and
see
what's going on.

Check your strawberries. I cut mine down to almost nothing like the geezer
on the TV said, and as was discussed in here 3-4 weeks ago, and now I've got
several plants flowering/fruiting. I picked a strawberry yesterday, it was
normal sized and 90% ripe. If we don't get a frost first, I expect several
more.

Steve

Old 09-10-2006, 03:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's certainly a crazy year. One of our well-established tree ferns is
sending out new fronds! I'm off down the garden to inspect the rest and
see
what's going on.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Quite a few folk have been commenting on the new fronds and croziers.
It's understandable on newly acquired ferns that have been ripped up and
moved from their homeland-they are just acclimatising.
Perhaps the old tree ferns know we won't have a Winter, and this is the
first sign of spring. (if only)

Old 09-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha
It's certainly a crazy year. One of our well-established tree ferns is
sending out new fronds! I'm off down the garden to inspect the rest and see
what's going on.
A friend from near Manchester tells me that rhododendrons are flowering in his area.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 9/10/06 15:18, in article , "Rupert (W.Yorkshire)"
wrote:

"Sacha" wrote in message
It's certainly a crazy year. One of our well-established tree ferns is
sending out new fronds! I'm off down the garden to inspect the rest and
see
what's going on.
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk
South Devon
http://www.discoverdartmoor.co.uk/

Quite a few folk have been commenting on the new fronds and croziers.
It's understandable on newly acquired ferns that have been ripped up and
moved from their homeland-they are just acclimatising.
Perhaps the old tree ferns know we won't have a Winter, and this is the
first sign of spring. (if only)

Some we had delivered a few weeks ago did just as you describe. They came
as bare trunks and within days, it seemed, had put out numbers of fronds.
But this one is in a large pot on a lawn and has been for about 3 years.
Why it's decided to do this I don't know. None of our other garden ones
have done so.

Old 09-10-2006, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 14:17:39 +0100, Sacha wrote:

It's certainly a crazy year. One of our well-established tree ferns is
sending out new fronds! I'm off down the garden to inspect the rest and see
what's going on.

I have a hellebore in full flower (white, double) on the allotment,
flowering for the first time. It is a self-seedling I have been
nurturing. I have a lot of hellebores on the allotment, but no doubles
and none that have flowered out of season.
Is there a variety which flowers now, is this a freak or is it just
the effects of the weather?

Pam in Bristol
Old 09-10-2006, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote
Check your strawberries. I cut mine down to almost nothing like the
geezer on the TV said, and as was discussed in here 3-4 weeks ago, and
now I've got several plants flowering/fruiting. I picked a strawberry
yesterday, it was normal sized and 90% ripe. If we don't get a frost
first, I expect several more.

I noticed yesterday there was another lot of fruit on the alpine
strawberries I chopped back a few weeks ago, and there are still some
runner beans which makes up for their poor start.

Over the weekend I read an article about there being hawthorn
blossom along with the haws this year. Presumably the dry spell has
thrown everything out of kilter, as lots of plants seem to be having a
renewed burst of flowering since the rains.

--
Sue

Old 09-10-2006, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 16:47:36 GMT, Pam Moore
wrote:

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 14:17:39 +0100, Sacha wrote:

It's certainly a crazy year. One of our well-established tree ferns is
sending out new fronds! I'm off down the garden to inspect the rest and see
what's going on.

I have a hellebore in full flower (white, double) on the allotment,
flowering for the first time. It is a self-seedling I have been
nurturing. I have a lot of hellebores on the allotment, but no doubles
and none that have flowered out of season.
Is there a variety which flowers now, is this a freak or is it just
the effects of the weather?

Pam in Bristol

It is avery odd autumn------Ihave had primulas flowering all summer
and my Clem. Montana produced a single flower this week.
Trees are barely turning gold .
Elizabeth in Renfrewshire, Scotland.
Removex to reply
Old 09-10-2006, 09:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Hi
It is a bit different this year, I have a rosemary bush in full flower for
third time this year, no pruning or anything, I think I have flower buds on
Camelias for second time this year, however I did post about this time last
year about that.
Mid October and only 2 days/nights when temperature has dropped into single
figures, first time since July according to my records, and this is in West
Midlands, not South coast area.
Global warming ? keep up the good work.
regards
Cineman

spring has sprung! culprit Gardening 4 06-02-2005 05:33 PM
Spring has sprung... Grandpa Edible Gardening 11 24-02-2004 04:14 AM
Spring has sprung... Grandpa Gardening 13 24-02-2004 04:12 AM
Spring has Sprung!! Brian Gardening 21 21-01-2004 11:32 PM