Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-01-2004, 11:21 PM
FrankS

Default Bog gardens

I'm thinking of creating a bog garden this year but haven't been able to
find much info on how to do it. Basically, I'm thinking of digging a
shallow depression about 10 ft in diameter and 10 to 12 inches deep and
refilling with about 6 inches of topsoil. I have a natural slope to my yard
so keeping it wet shouldn't be a major problem for me. I would like to
create as much a natural environment as possible with cattail, bulrushes,
horsetails and any other bog type plant I can find. I have about 4 to 6
inches of topsoil over a thick bed of clay. I live in the extreme north of
zone 4 so winters are long and brutal while the summers can be hot as hell.
I want this to be a low maintenance area and I'm not interested in
attracting any wildlife although, if it works, I imagine frogs and garter
snakes may show up.

Does anyone have any experience or info to share with me?

thanks frank

[IMG] code is On

ABG Bog Gardens danny Orchid Photos 1 28-05-2007 09:59 PM
Bog gardens & String Algae Stephen M. Henning Gardening 6 24-01-2004 07:12 PM
Problem Area - Bog Garden? Bot Grl Gardening 9 24-02-2003 02:51 AM