Old 15-02-2004, 12:32 AM
donald girod

Default a strange question

The last couple of years I have found mosquitoes in my house in the dead of
winter (like, it's January in western New York, the temperature is hovering
around 5 degrees, and I find the occasional mosquito flying around the
house). We don't generally get mosquitoes in the house in the summer, when
there are relatively lots of them around, and I can't imagine how we can
have them now. They never have blood in them, so I don't think we are being
bitten, but there they are.

Do mosquitoes ever breed indoors? It would seem impossible, since laying
eggs requires blood, and if they were breeding, we would have been bitten.
I'm thinking that they could be using the trap in our shower, which we
rarely use (we have two bathrooms and one is enough for two people), but it
doesn't seem reasonable. They could be hibernating in the attic, I
suppose--it is very warm right next to the ceiling under 12" of insulation.
But it would be hard for them to get into the house from there.

I have never seen this phenomenon before the last couple of years--does this
happen to other people?

Old 15-02-2004, 05:32 AM
Suzie-Q

donald girod wrote:

The last couple of years I have found mosquitoes in my house in the dead of
winter (like, it's January in western New York, the temperature is hovering
around 5 degrees, and I find the occasional mosquito flying around the
house). We don't generally get mosquitoes in the house in the summer, when
there are relatively lots of them around, and I can't imagine how we can
have them now. They never have blood in them, so I don't think we are being
bitten, but there they are.

Do mosquitoes ever breed indoors?..........

Try asking this question in sci.bio.entomology.misc and/or
alt.consumers.pest-control. You might get a better response.

8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://www.suzanne-eckhardt.com/
http://www.intergnat.com/malebashing/
Old 15-02-2004, 06:02 AM
paghat

In article , "donald girod"
wrote:

[...]

They cannot breed indoors unless you have some really lovely large
aquariums without any fish in them, or some swamp water kept permanently
in the otherwise unused bathtub.

But what you describe is VERY common. Ms. Science sez this is why:

Female mosquitos usually live extremely short lives, but in some
circumstances will live up to eight months if that's what it takes to
complete achieve their purpose in life, to lay eggs for the next
generation. Those which turned from wrigglers into adults too late in the
season to lay their own eggs will go into hibernation, coming to life in
spring to lay eggs (in the nearest pond or puddle) before they die. You've
very likely brought hibernating mosquitos into the house on something,
typically that would be on firewood. Or they were hibernating in the walls
(accessed from under eaves), then on some day when the sun combines with
room temperatures to heat the walls, they awake & head for the source of
heat, which in the winter would lead it to any crack or opening into the
house (it being too cold outside to leave by the eaves).

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 15-02-2004, 09:42 AM
Janice

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 19:17:56 -0500, "donald girod"
wrote:

[...]

Do you have aquarium fish that you feed live foods? Mosquito larvae
are one live food that is fed to aquarium fish. If you did feed
mosquito larvae, could be some managed to survive and hatch.

Mosquitos breed in calm waters wherever they find it. The ones that
were most responsible for spreading West Nile Virus were breeding in
any dab of water they could find, tires, buckets, discarded cans,
whatever little pool they can find, and they tended to lay fewer eggs
in those small bits and dabs of water.

Do have any plant cuttings growing in water around the house? Or
trays or some standing water in trays or water in trays with rocks for
plants to rest on so that the water evaporates to increase the
humidity, and accidentally increasing the mosquito population.

The more likely means would just be bringing in hibernating
mosquitoes into the house from outbuildings. I recall when I was a
kid, when we brought in christmas decorations from a shed, a big ol'
blowfly emerged from the newspaper around the bulbs. It may be
possible that mosquitoes may do the same.

You could ask at your local county extension agency, and even your
local mosquito abatement office, should you have such in your
location.

Janice
Old 15-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Salty Thumb

"donald girod" wrote in
:

[...]

are you quite sure they are mosquitoes and not some other small annoying
insect?

but yeah, you might have better luck with in the groups somebody else
suggested

Old 16-02-2004, 12:32 AM
donald girod

Nah, leave it to rec.gardens to come up with a good answer (see some of
them). It is surely hibernating mosquitos coming in on the firewood along
with the ladybugs, snakeskins, mouse droppings and other things I have not
yet identified. Ever since I built a woodshed a couple of years ago I have
been providing habitat to many little creatures. Clearly that shed is way
better for them than a freestanding woodpile.

I just didn't want to believe that they were breeding in the shower trap.
Yuk. We don't have any other slimy water in the house.

Old 20-02-2004, 09:42 AM
Dwight Sipler

donald girod wrote:

...I just didn't want to believe that they were breeding in the shower trap.
Yuk. We don't have any other slimy water in the house...

I suspect that's unlikely (assuming someone in your house takes showers
occasionally). Mosquito larvae live on organic material in the water
(such as algae), so since the water in your shower trap is changed
regularly, the organic material is flushed out (and probably also the
larvae).

Of course, it's possible that if you get really dirty and take a really
quick shower, the trap would have enough organic material to support the
larvae.

[IMG] code is On

Slightly strange tree fern question Sacha United Kingdom 4 13-01-2007 07:10 PM
Very strange answer to my _pond_ question wruess Ponds 4 13-09-2005 07:44 PM
Honeysuckle - strange question Ian Waddell United Kingdom 15 03-09-2004 03:21 PM
Strange question Karen Mullen Ponds 11 28-06-2004 05:06 AM
A strange sight at Home Depot...nothing strange at all about their practice! Roy Gardening 3 01-04-2004 07:41 AM