Old 24-02-2004, 02:32 PM
Pam - gardengal

Default A really tall sedum

"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
I grow most of those - the Achillea comes closest in terms of shape and a
hint of winter interest, but it just isn't tall enough. Agastache doesn't
survive here (the only people I know that have any luck with it either let
it reseed it self or it is sheltered).

I want TALL - 4 foot plus and some hint of four season interest -
interesting foliage, color, seed heads.

Thank you for you thoughts,
Cheryl

Cheryl, you are just not going to get a full 4 seasons of interest from a
perennial, unless it is an evergreen one and I can't think of any that would
reach the size you want. Certainly, some form of shrub could work for you,
but I'd consider a late season tall growing perennial. Rudbeckia maxima will
reach an impressive height and offers the same bright yellow coneflowers and
seedheads into autumn and winter that its shorter cousin does. Eupatorium
maculatum 'Gateway' is another good choce or any of the perennial sunflowers
or Helenium. All are great in combination with grasses and enjoy the same
conditions. All hardy to at least zone 4.

pam - gardengal

Old 24-02-2004, 02:37 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 2/24/04 8:41 AM, in article MvI_b.380333$I06.4154991@attbi_s01, "Pam -
gardengal" wrote:

[...]

One of the reasons I was looking for something "sedum-like" was I truly find
4 seasons of interest. In the spring, I love to see the "nest" of new shoots
and the color of the early growth. ( I know I only see this while cleaning
up, but it is an important joy.)

What I want most is a fall and winter statement. Seed heads, foliage and
something out of the ordinary.

I grow all of the above in your list - I love the Rudbeckia maxima, but not
for this spot. I have a "Chocolate" Eupatorium in the bed - it makes a nice
transition down to the coral bells which are nearly evergreen.

I know there was Sedum "Indian Chief" on the market at one time - it was
billed at 45 inches tall, but every time I got it, never got that tall.

Cheryl

Old 24-02-2004, 07:32 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 2/24/04 11:10 AM, in article ,
"MC" wrote:

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 08:53:52 -0500, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 2/24/04 6:58 AM, in article
,
"MC" wrote:

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 07:46:52 -0500, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

Does any one know of a tall sedum?

Not Autumn Joy or kin tall (for me around 24" max), but a true back of the
border sedum.

Or lacking a true sedum, something with the presence of a sedum that I
could
use near my tall (6 foot plus) grasses.

Thanks all,

Cheryl

Piet Oudolf has a book "Gardening with Grasses" which has a good selection
of plants that go well with grasses. Depending on the height of the
grass, you might try Solidago "Fireworks" or Eupatorium "Chocolate" or
Aster "Lady in Black". If you don't need to go as high, try a combo of
things like Echinops and Knautia macedonica. Leucanthemum "Becky" works,
too. It's really up to you and what statement you wish to make.

Hmm - I have to wonder if the Echinops might work there too. I just really
want some height.

Cheryl

Veronicastrum and Cimicifuga are fun plants, too.

Much depends on the height of your grasses. Which grasses do you have?

You certainly wouldn't want anything to compete with them or hide their
beauty.

One of the grasses is "Dallas Blues", the other is a no name that is finer
textured. DB gets over 6 foot, no name around 7 foot and a nice green and a
spiky bloom.

What I want is a "echo" effect, to repeat a great planting of a variegated
miscanthus, sedum Neon and a dark leaf coral bell - max height is about 3
feet and about 4 feet around.

So, I have the great grasses, lots of height, lots of coral bells. For now,
I have daylilies there, but as much as I love them, not there. I want that
late summer in to winter interest.

Cheryl

Old 24-02-2004, 08:53 PM
madgardener

Ok, then how about Diablo nine bark? dark almost black-burgandy leaves,
exfoliating bark as it matures, nice fall color, with the bark and stems
showing nicely during winter. Or for that matter, can you grow Oak leaf
hydrangea? THAT is a four season plant...............
madgardener
"Cheryl Isaak" wrote in message
I grow most of those - the Achillea comes closest in terms of shape and a
hint of winter interest, but it just isn't tall enough. Agastache doesn't
survive here (the only people I know that have any luck with it either let
it reseed it self or it is sheltered).

I want TALL - 4 foot plus and some hint of four season interest -
interesting foliage, color, seed heads.

Thank you for you thoughts,
Cheryl

On 2/23/04 6:42 PM, in article
, "Penny Morgan"
wrote:

Achillea x 'Coronation Gold' gets 24-36" tall. Has golden yellow

flowers
from late spring to summer with gray-green foliage. It's commonly known

as
Yarrow. Likes full sun (drought tolerant) and is good in zones 2-8.

Agastache x 'Blue Fortune' gets 40" tall. Blue-lavender flowers with
licorice scented leaves bloom from early spring throughout the summer.
'Tutti Frutti' gets 3-4' tall and has tubular pink flowers from

mid-summer
to frost. It has fragrant foliage that smells like tutti frutti. Both

are
good in zone 6-9 in full sun.

Baptisia australis "false indigo" - mid to late spring bloomer. Flowers

are
blue and mature fruit is black. Gets 36" tall and is good in zones 3-10
with full to part sun.

Baptisia pendula "white false indigo" has clusters of white pea like

flowers
that grow to 40" tall. Zone 3-10.

These are just a few perennials that could be used in front of the

grasses.
Don't forget Black Eyed Susans, Purple Coneflowers (Echinacea) and

Russian
Sage. Do a google on the plants listed and you can see what they look

like.

Good luck,

Penny
Zone 7b - North Carolina

--
Cheryl Isaak
AHS Region 4, USDA Zone 4B/5A

Old 24-02-2004, 11:21 PM
MC

On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:03:14 -0500, Cheryl Isaak wrote:

One of the grasses is "Dallas Blues", the other is a no name that is finer
textured. DB gets over 6 foot, no name around 7 foot and a nice green and a
spiky bloom.

What I want is a "echo" effect, to repeat a great planting of a variegated
miscanthus, sedum Neon and a dark leaf coral bell - max height is about 3
feet and about 4 feet around.

So, I have the great grasses, lots of height, lots of coral bells. For now,
I have daylilies there, but as much as I love them, not there. I want that
late summer in to winter interest.

Cheryl

Another Oudolf book is Dream Plants for the Natural Garden. Great photos.
He also has one about desiging with plants.

Helenium Bruno
Monarda Jacob Cline or Raspberry Wine
Sanguisorba
Stachys grandiflora
Filipendula purpurea

You could always add Pennisetum Rubrum. It's an annual in northern
climies but nice. Another grass, you would like, is Pennisetum Moudry
which has gorgeous black seed heads.
Old 26-02-2004, 02:26 AM
LanscpHort

Asclepias comes up in
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...t%22+perennial
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...t%22+perennial

Kniphofia gets tall but none for zone 4 probably...
cow parsnips are big. angelica. maybe scan the apiaceae?

http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...t%22+perennial

stenanthia (east n amer.)

thistle family

there are huge grasses and some sedges get big...

THE USE OF ORNAMENTAL GRASSES IN THE LANDSCAPE
.... The popularity of ornamental grasses gained momentum in the early 80's
when Wolfgang
Oehme and Jim van Sweden, two Washington DC landscape architects, began ...
sudan.cses.vt.edu/html/Turf/orngrass.htm

they use(d) a lot of tall wet plants

another wet lover:
http://plantsdatabase.com/go/2197/

or
http://www.google.com/search?sourcei...iscanthus+zone
though weedy
http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/plant...erennials.html
Miscanthus sinensis 'Strictus' (porcupine grass)
Many grasses are very easy to grow. This one has yellow and gold horizontal
bars on its leaves. Silvery plumes in fall, ornamental throughout winter;
grows up to 8 feet tall. USDA: 5 to 8/Sunset: all zones. Full sun. Propagate
by division. Caution: Miscanthus sinensis is beginning to turn up on
invasive plant lists in Northeastern and Middle Atlantic states

"Berberis fendleri"
probably conforming to the common overblown description of plants:
http://www.highcountrygardens.com/sh...dc fcf5757069

gardengal" wrote:

[...]

climate? soil?