Old 17-03-2004, 11:02 AM
kate

Default So what all are people planting this spring?

"Shez" wrote in message
In article , gurdjieff 0f gormorrah
iiiiii@iiiii.? writes
In article , Feeling
Froggie writes
theoneflasehaddock wrote in

message
. com...
"Phoenix" wrote in message
.com...

Nothing wrong with Insane, who wants to be normal... but most of us
don't have the budget to build a moat around the house, Besides the
neighbours might complain. I do live in a semi-detached house.
I don't grow potato vines on the window sill, I have a greenhouse

for
potato vines in jars... Orchids, and the like.
Ps most gardeners are insane, )

However you can check out the garden below

That's really beautiful, Shez. Thanks for sharing.

Froggie

It is rather lovely, that I whole-heartedly admit.
You have a green thumb, for sure, and an eye for
spacing and color placement.
and I bet you have a moat behind that fence.

GG

Thanks for the kind words. Their is a river not to far away, but I
promise no moat, Not that I would mind, I could lean out of the window
and go fishing If I had a moat.

shez

Thanks for looking....Its always a pleasure to share your garden with
people who appreciate it.

Shez, that is absolutely gorgeous! I wish I could be in one place long
enough to have a garden. Get artsy with it. Plant the herbs I'm always
looking for.....
What's the grass in your garden? The clumps of wild looking grasses?
Jack-in-the-Pulpit is something I haven't seen for Years! I'd like to know
where you live, that things grow so beautifully. Thank you for the view into
a part of your life that you obviously thoroughly enjoy.

kate~
--
Shez
Shez's Garden at

Old 17-03-2004, 12:44 PM
gurdjieff 0f gormorrah

NightMist wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:19:26 -0600, "gurdjieff 0f gormorrah"
iiiiii@iiiii wrote:

wbarwell wrote in message
m...
Feeling Froggie wrote:

"gurdjieff 0f gormorrah" iiiiii@iiiii wrote in
message piranha.. Just be sure to raise your draw-bridge immediately

after
leaving your garden.

I think we need your expertise. I've always wanted a moat.

Froggie

You need some squirrel hunting cats.

fact: cats hate water. a moat will also deter
cats as well as the bushy tailed rodents

Ah! but if you put in a dry moat (which is much more maintenance
friendly) you could fill it with cats.

but what fun is cats in the moat without crocks?

hell, I know I am gonna hear about that line...
Shhh was just a joke, I swear it was but a joke.

correct me if I am wrong but a dry moat is kinda equal to a ditch.

My own aesthetic tastes would dictate that it be filled with komodo
dragons. Difficult to import, but self cleaning and a deterent to
unwelcome guests. If you didn't get enough unwelcome guests, it would
run you broke in goats though.

why would said guest have to be "unwelcome"

GG

NightMist
--
"It's such a gamble when you get a face"
- Richard Hell

Old 17-03-2004, 08:53 PM
NightMist

On Wed, 17 Mar 2004 06:12:57 -0600, "gurdjieff 0f gormorrah"
iiiiii@iiiii wrote:

NightMist wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:19:26 -0600, "gurdjieff 0f gormorrah"
iiiiii@iiiii wrote:

wbarwell wrote in message
m...
Feeling Froggie wrote:

"gurdjieff 0f gormorrah" iiiiii@iiiii wrote in
message piranha.. Just be sure to raise your draw-bridge immediately
after
leaving your garden.

I think we need your expertise. I've always wanted a moat.

Froggie

You need some squirrel hunting cats.

fact: cats hate water. a moat will also deter
cats as well as the bushy tailed rodents

Ah! but if you put in a dry moat (which is much more maintenance
friendly) you could fill it with cats.

but what fun is cats in the moat without crocks?

This is America man!
Alligators are what we have here.
Of course our alligators are really fresh water crocs, but that is OK,
because the african croc is really an alligator and....Oh **** it.

Alligators, get it right. In America we have alligators.

hell, I know I am gonna hear about that line...
Shhh was just a joke, I swear it was but a joke.

Just this once I'll let you live unscathed.

correct me if I am wrong but a dry moat is kinda equal to a ditch.

Well, yeah, sort of.
But a wet moat is kinda equal to a ditch too.

My own aesthetic tastes would dictate that it be filled with komodo
dragons. Difficult to import, but self cleaning and a deterent to
unwelcome guests. If you didn't get enough unwelcome guests, it would
run you broke in goats though.

why would said guest have to be "unwelcome"

Now then, you don't want the really welcome guests to get eaten in the
moat do you? All those nubile young women with their pneumatic
thighs? At least you don't want them to be eaten on the way _in_ to
the house.

NightMist

Old 17-03-2004, 10:18 PM
Shez

In article , Feeling
Froggie writes
"gurdjieff 0f gormorrah" iiiiii@iiiii wrote in message news:GIGdnc73-54BxMrd4
Shez wrote in message
In article , gurdjieff 0f gormorrah
iiiiii@iiiii.? writes

Shez wrote in message
In article , Feeling
Froggie writes
Shez wrote in message

.
com...
In article , gurdjieff 0f

gormorrah
iiiiii@iiiii.? writes

Shez wrote in message
In article , gurdjieff 0f

gormorrah
iiiiii@iiiii.? writes

theoneflasehaddock wrote in message
. com...
"Phoenix" wrote in message

.com...
"theoneflasehaddock" ****off wrote

in
message
Subject: So what all are people planting this spring?

Squirrels got every single crocus bulb I planted within 24

hours
from
when I
planted them. *******s.

Just a thought, flace, but you might try planting some

Garlic
cloves
on
top of the Crocus. The little buggers might not smell them

with
Garlic
on top. :-)

That's a great idea, Phoenix, thanks.

I've got a bunch of garlic cloves to plant anyways. Perhaps I

will do
that with the rest of my bulbs. Or at least some...

7 out of 10 Squirrels like garlic for an appetitzer pleasure

before
they
partake of crocus.I would suggest the use of land or trip mines

especially
very tiny bounching bettys.Then again , you might want to think

in
terms
of
constructing a medieval like moat around your garden. I do not

think
that
catapults will be
nessecary especially if said moats are stocked with crocodiles

or
piranha..
Just be sure to raise your draw-bridge immediately after leaving

your
garden.

you're welcome [ in advance ]
The green gardener,
gurdjieff 0f gormorrah

-
theoneflasehaddock

You don't think this is a tiny bit over the top... Mostly moats

were
built to keep humans out not Squirrels, and the cost involved

would
be
such that stocking your whole garden with bulbs for squirrels to

eat
for
the next hundred years might be slightly cheaper...
not that I want to put you down or anything, your ideas are very
imaginative... if somewhat insane...

insane? You want effective or you want to skimp on money , penny

pincher?
We are talking crocus here ! This is the best cash crop since

Zappa's
Montana dental floss ranch !!!

I bet you have a potato in a jelly jar growing a vine in ya
window, don't ya? Yeah, thought so. Leave the aricultural
advice to us experts and you amatrues stick to raising sea
monkeys and mildew.

l0v3,
gurdjieff 0f gormorrah

I came, I saw, and puked
--little oppie cunningham

[...]

you're a graceful and nice person. It has been my pleasure to meet you.

You're both great. I think I remember Shez kicking the soc.men asses
with us a while back, too. heheh

Froggie

GG

Thanks for looking....Its always a pleasure to share your garden with
people who appreciate it.
--
Shez
Shez's Garden at
http://www.oldcity.f2s.com/shez/

--
Shez
Shez's Garden at
http://www.oldcity.f2s.com/shez/

Blush, }
Thank you kindly....both of you...
Soc men is fairly easy to set light to, I am still surprised some of
the more out of touch members are not on show in a museum of
antiquities,

Old 17-03-2004, 10:19 PM
Shez

In article , kate
writes

"Phoenix" wrote in message
[...]

Grasses are a fairly new addition over the last couple of years, we use
about a dozen different variety's, Some of the seed heads are quite
spectacular and can be cut and dried for winter display,
I can look some of the nicer ones up for you if you would like

I am sure in time you will have your own garden, Gardners cant stay away
from the earth for long, and somehow or other they always manage to find
a little patch of earth they can call their own.
Old 17-03-2004, 10:19 PM
kate

"Shez" wrote in message
news
In article , kate
writes

"Phoenix" wrote in message
[...]

I know a lot of grasses hon. The one I was asking about was that little
clump in the picture, the round one? I'd appreciate anything you can give
tho, ty

I am sure in time you will have your own garden, Gardners cant stay away
from the earth for long, and somehow or other they always manage to find
a little patch of earth they can call their own.

*heh* Even if it's not my own, I dig! Even if it's just my feet in the soil
*chuckle* Oceans and good, old, smelly dirt, love it!
kate~

Old 17-03-2004, 10:25 PM
Shez

Shez wrote in message
In article , gurdjieff 0f gormorrah
iiiiii@iiiii.? writes

Shez wrote in message
In article , Feeling
Froggie writes
Shez wrote in message

.
com...
In article , gurdjieff 0f

gormorrah
iiiiii@iiiii.? writes

Shez wrote in message
In article , gurdjieff 0f

gormorrah
iiiiii@iiiii.? writes

Old 17-03-2004, 10:29 PM
kate

"Shez" wrote in message
news
In article , kate
writes

Old 17-03-2004, 10:39 PM
Shez

In article , NightMist
writes
iiiiii@iiiii wrote:

NightMist wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 09:19:26 -0600, "gurdjieff 0f gormorrah"
iiiiii@iiiii wrote:

wbarwell wrote in message
m...
Feeling Froggie wrote:

[...]

I think you people think to small, If I have a moat, I want a sea
monster in it, a Kraken at least,
I guess their are no Texans posting, they always think big..

Old 17-03-2004, 10:41 PM
paghat

I've been planting very little this spring because Granny Artemis & I
sprang for the cost of pallets of flagstones & stacking stones, to build a
flagstone patio alongside a raised garden. The price of those stones ate
up all the garden funds, though on April 2 we'll show up at the
Rhododendron Species Foundation for some dwarf rhodies I want to get to
plant in front of some big shrubs, if all I get is those it shouldn't bust
the bank, though it will be painfully hard to bypass some of the odder
shadeplants that'll be available & in past years I've not been able to
control myself.

I'm still in the midst of shifting dirt & laying flagstones, it's already
looking great. There's plenty of new area for planting as a result, where
a previously sloped area of lawn is now a raised flat area for
perennials. I moved a ton of dirt from the slope bottom that's becoming
the patio, to behind the stacking-stone wall, but can't afford to plant
that area just now. I did transplant a few things to there so it isn't all
empty, like a black-flowering hellebore that was almost invisible in its
previous location dark flower in dark spot, & it is now in the new raised
garden showing itself to spectacular effect.

I planted some rugosa roses in a new streetside garden, but that new
garden is also going to look pretty empty for the time being, & most
that's in it now had been sitting around in containers for quite a while
cuz there's no funds for new plants. Someone I last year helped
re-landscape an old garden (which he believed to be too crowded with
shrubs for his taste) hired me back this month to do some more labor, &
I'm working for pretty cheap but get additional payment in hundreds of
dollars worth of big old rhodies & other shrubs that I'm removing from his
garden to mine. It is horrible labor to get those shrubs out of the
ground & down a stone stairway that seems like a mile, but at least when
I'm done busting my back the shrubs are MINE. This morning I was digging a
big hole for the next shrub to be brought over, it'll go next to a biggish
serviceberry also recently installed. One of the smaller rhodies I brought
home from last year's landscaping for this guy, I've no idea what it is,
it is very old but only four feet tall, a small-leaf evergreen & I didn't
see it in flower last year because it bloomed so early. That one right now
has buds beginning to burst, & it so far looks creamy white. What
small-leaf evergreen rhody has creamy white flowers? I hope I can figure
it out.

I brought home a five-foot twinberry shrub I can't for the life of me
figure out where it should go so it may end up a container plant for a
while. I've a big lovely & presently empty pottery planter, because a
Portuguese evergreen cherry that had been growing in it for a couple years
got put in the new rugosa garden, so maybe the twinberry will go in that
pot for a year or however long.

Tons of bulbs are gussying up the place. As the crocus season winds down
the kaufmannias burst upward in amazingly dense drifts of waterlily-like
blooms, & every day another variety of miniature daffodil is opening up,
plus a dozen kinds of muscaris, scillas, & bellevalia getting flowerier
each day. Two species of fritillary are already blooming too. I thought
I'd "lost" the snow-white Muscari pallens, but they popped up in a
roadside location where I now realize they accidentally got lifted along
with some old daffodils; they're too tiny for the roadside garden, so when
they begin to die back some weeks from now I'll get them back into the
main yard, probably along a ledge of the new patio-side raised garden. I
think of the beginning of the year as having three parts: the crocus
season, then the daffodil/muscari season, closing with the botanical
tulips season -- with obvious overlaps. Today also I noticed that
virtually every one of our corydalises have at least their first few
blooms opened, including the Dutchman's Britches which is so damned cute
with those white undies hanging there.

It's also nearly time to lift a bunch of autumn crocuses like Crocus
speciosus, to move them before their grass vanishes & I can't find them.
I'm pondering digging up another autumn crocus, C. kotschyanus, & just
giving them a good cleaning in order to EAT them, because they didn't
bloom last year, but i may let them go one more year before deciding
whether or not they become dinner.

Early-blooming rhodies & azaleas are looking great. In full flower are
Crater's Edge, Sesame, Milestone, & PJM Elite, some others showing color
in their buds, & the star magnolia bursting into bloom too. I'm going to
hit "post" then go back outside right now & noodle around the plants some
more!

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"