Old 26-03-2004, 07:12 AM
Jeanne Baggins

Default Brugmansia (Non-poisonous) Substitute?

I just love Brugmansias, but I can't buy one because I'd be too
worried about my dog who has a habit of sleeping under trees. Is there
a similar looking non-poisonous plant/ornamental tree that can survive
in zone 8? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeanne,
Seattle, WA
Old 26-03-2004, 02:02 PM
Bill Spohn

I just love Brugmansias, but I can't buy one because I'd be too
worried about my dog who has a habit of sleeping under trees. Is there
a similar looking non-poisonous plant/ornamental tree that can survive
in zone 8? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

First, a Brug may survive zone 8, but unless you either bring it inside or
under cover in winter, it will be severely cut back. They really work best when
put in the basement and watered but little until Spring.

Second, they aren't trees, and I can't imagine the dog sleeping under it, or
suffering even if he did.

Third, no, there isn't any other equivalent.

What makes you worry about the dog?
Old 26-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Pam - gardengal

"Bill Spohn" wrote in message
I just love Brugmansias, but I can't buy one because I'd be too
worried about my dog who has a habit of sleeping under trees. Is there
a similar looking non-poisonous plant/ornamental tree that can survive
in zone 8? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

First, a Brug may survive zone 8, but unless you either bring it inside or
under cover in winter, it will be severely cut back. They really work best

when
put in the basement and watered but little until Spring.

Second, they aren't trees, and I can't imagine the dog sleeping under it,

or
suffering even if he did.

Third, no, there isn't any other equivalent.

What makes you worry about the dog?

In the PNW, they are definitely considered container plants for any long
term survival prospects and may reach 6-8 feet but certainly not tree-like
proportions. I've grown any number of them (can't be bothered to overwinter
them anymore) and I also live and garden with an assortment of dogs and
other pets, none of which has ever shown the slightest interest in this
plant. Pets are often much more intellegent about knoshing on toxic plants
than we give them credit for - kids are another matter altogether.

A possible alternative (not exactly the same flowering effect, however) is
Clerodendrum trichotomum, Harlequin glorybower. Will eventually reach a
small tree-like form (10-12') and produces fragrant white flowers with red
calyces in late summer followed by interesting metallic blue drupes. Foliage
smells like peanut butter when crushed or rubbed. Slow to establish and late
to leaf out, but an interesting and attractive, hardy, small, tree-like
shrub.

pam - gardengal

Old 26-03-2004, 07:34 PM
Brian

Animals seem to have the ability to avoid poisonous plants. I can think of
none that has anything other than an exceptionally unpleasant taste. As a
student we had to taste minute samples of many. Ricinin excepted A few
years ago a local child died eating two or three of these Castor Oil
seeds --but these don't grow in our climate.
Laburnum I would keep away from children.
Cattle poison easily with Yew clippings and accordingly we planted these
in graveyards. Every village had to grow them by order. Horses are
vulnerable to Ragwort and we can be prosecuted for permitting its growth.
I would not worry about your dog. Chocolate is the worst potential
poison.
Best Wishes.

Old 27-03-2004, 02:02 AM
Pam - gardengal

"Charles" wrote in message
On 26 Mar 2004 13:47:57 GMT, (Bill Spohn) wrote:

I just love Brugmansias, but I can't buy one because I'd be too
worried about my dog who has a habit of sleeping under trees. Is there
a similar looking non-poisonous plant/ornamental tree that can survive
in zone 8? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

First, a Brug may survive zone 8, but unless you either bring it inside

or
under cover in winter, it will be severely cut back. They really work

best when
put in the basement and watered but little until Spring.

Second, they aren't trees, and I can't imagine the dog sleeping under it,

or
suffering even if he did.

I am curious why you say they are not trees. There may be some
definition of a tree that I am not aware of, but my brug is big
enough, it's lifting the roof of my car port and grows higher that the
roof.

Brian answered this point very adequately. In zone 8 Seattle, these are not
winter hardy and will never grow to a height of more than about 6-8 feet in
a season. They never develop a woody structure ( a requirement of anything
accurately called a "tree") and will die back to the ground (or worse) if
not given winter protection. In more tropical, frost-free climates, they
behave differently and grow to much larger proportions and may assume a
small, tree-like stature.

pam - gardengal

--

- Charles
-

Old 27-03-2004, 04:05 AM
escapee

On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 19:12:41 GMT, Charles opined:

I am curious why you say they are not trees. There may be some
definition of a tree that I am not aware of, but my brug is big
enough, it's lifting the roof of my car port and grows higher that the
roof.

In their native habitat, most are indeed small trees.

Old 27-03-2004, 08:03 AM
David Hill

"......... In their native habitat, most are indeed small trees........."

I think you'll find they are Large shrubs not small trees.
Large shrubs can be up to 30ft or more, look at mature Rhododendrons, they
are large shrubs, and I have seen these to over 50 ft.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 27-03-2004, 01:12 PM
Brian

Tree or shrub just depends on the way they are grown. RHS definitions only
require a tree to have a clear trunk or bole before branching~~otherwise
its a shrub. So we could confuse both ourselves and the plant!!
Best Wishes

Old 27-03-2004, 06:02 PM
Neil Jones

"Brian" wrote in message ...
Animals seem to have the ability to avoid poisonous plants. I can think of
none that has anything other than an exceptionally unpleasant taste. As a
student we had to taste minute samples of many. Ricinin excepted A few
years ago a local child died eating two or three of these Castor Oil
seeds --but these don't grow in our climate.
Laburnum I would keep away from children.
Cattle poison easily with Yew clippings and accordingly we planted these
in graveyards. Every village had to grow them by order. Horses are
vulnerable to Ragwort and we can be prosecuted for permitting its growth.
I would not worry about your dog. Chocolate is the worst potential
poison.

You have just stated a very common myth. The Weeds Act doesn't make
the growing of ragwort illegal it provides for a mechanism for
ordering control *where it is a problem* and only on *agricultural
land*. There have been some pretty outragious claims made for the
plant's toxicity. The toxic dose for horses is quite high more perhaps
than 20% of the body weight in some cases.

For more information i'd suggest http://www.ragwortfacts.com/

Neil Jones
http://www.butterflyguy.com/

Old 27-03-2004, 11:32 PM
escapee

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 07:48:04 -0000, "David Hill"
opined:

"......... In their native habitat, most are indeed small trees........."

I think you'll find they are Large shrubs not small trees.
Large shrubs can be up to 30ft or more, look at mature Rhododendrons, they
are large shrubs, and I have seen these to over 50 ft.

I'm sorry, David, Brugmansia spp. are small trees in their native habitat. I
have been collecting them for more than a decade. By small tree, I mean
anything less than 25-30 feet tall. That, is considered by the industry, a
small tree.

Brugmansia is not a shrub.