Old 17-04-2004, 07:38 PM
TOM KAN PA

Default new radio station

Air America Back on Radio in Chicago, Los Angeles
Thu Apr 15, 7:56 PM ET

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A New York judge ordered the owner of two radio stations
on Thursday to put the 2-week-old, liberal radio network known as Air America
back on the air.

*

MultiCultural Radio Broadcasting Inc, which owns radio stations in Chicago and
Los Angeles, pulled the plug on Air America on Wednesday. MultiCultural's
owner, Arthur Liu, told the Chicago Tribune the radio network "bounced a check"
and was in default.

Air America, which leases radio stations in 16 cities, filed a complaint in New
York State Supreme Court demanding it be restored to the air and compensated.

Judge Marilyn Diamond issued a temporary restraining order on the condition
that Air America post a $156,000 bond. The judge will hold a hearing on the
dispute on Monday.

"We won the first round. We'll be back on the air sometime before the end of
the day on Friday," Air America Chairman Evan Cohen said.

Liu did not return calls seeking comment.

"Arthur Liu received a clear message in court," Cohen said. "Temper tantrums
are not the way to conduct business."

Cohen said he purchased two months of airtime on KBLA in Santa Monica,
California, before Air America's March 31 launch, but the station owner resold
the time to a Spanish-language programer.

Cohen said the two sides had been in discussions until Tuesday, when talks
broke down and the station owner locked out Air America employees from KBLA and
Chicago's WNTD.

Air America, which features a program hosted by comedian Al Franken, was
launched to counter right-wing hosts who dominate daytime talk radio. Los
Angeles and Chicago were two of Air America's largest markets.

Old 17-04-2004, 08:03 PM
escapee

Any chance you heard of them being DirecTV? If not, we plan to buy the
satellite radio, anyway.

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 12:44:47 GMT, opined:

they are back on, they settled the contract dispute. they are also going to be on
dish network .. which is my TV carrier. So far I really like the streaming video off
of broadband. Ingrid

Ann wrote:

escapee expounded:

Well, no, they are still on satellite radio, which very soon, will be the way
most people will listen to the radio. The junkie people listen to on a daily
basis has nothing to add to anyone's life outside of his own.

:::sigh:::

Yes, they were kicked off the air in Chicago and LA, two of their
largest markets, in a contract dispute. I don't think they're back on
yet there.

As for satellite radio, there's no way I'm paying for radio, it's bad
enough what I pay in cable bills. I don't think satellite radio is
going to do as well as you think. And the satellite TVs aren't any
better around here for good packages and local channels.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 17-04-2004, 08:04 PM
escapee

I did hear our friendly drug addict just yesterday thanking his fans, profusely,
for being "there" for him over the last 15 and a half (can't forget the half)
years. He, Hannity and the other O' talk about the "lib" network as if it's not
being heard by anyone! Oh well. They say Franken is in denial. Denial of what,
I wonder. Does Al Franken have a drug problem?

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 12:46:59 GMT, opined:

it was not true that they "ran out of money" nor that they were "kicked off the air".
they got into a contract dispute and the station owners stopped transmission. The
use of pejorative phrases by Lush Rambo et al doesnt change the facts. Ingrid

Ann wrote:

expounded:

of course, it isnt true ... just another drug induced confabulation of Lush Rambo.
http://www.airamericaradio.com/pub/resNews.htm
Ingrid

Well, yes, it is true, Ingrid. They were kicked off the air.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 17-04-2004, 09:02 PM
escapee

I listen to Howard now and then, but used to listen daily. I am disgusted at
this point. Not at Howard, but at the priorities in this country. Put Tommy
Chong in jail for selling a bong.

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 13:22:11 GMT, opined:

I would never listen to Howard Stern or that ilk, but I am incensed that a few people
in government are going to tell us what is "good" for us. And after all, freedom of
speech is one of the freedoms our children are dying for in other countries. How
dare we limit it in the US. Ingrid

escapee wrote:
I will pay to listen to satellite radio because I'm sick of the government of a
country which supports free speech in the First Amendment, yet fines people for
violation of their own rights based on what "they" consider out of line. If I
think someone is out of line, I change the station. I suppose many dullards
can't simply do that, so they ruin it for everyone.

So, I absolutely pay for satellite radio when the time comes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~
List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 17-04-2004, 10:02 PM
cacahuates

escapee wrote:
I did hear our friendly drug addict just yesterday thanking his fans, profusely,
for being "there" for him over the last 15 and a half (can't forget the half)
years. He, Hannity and the other O' talk about the "lib" network as if it's not
being heard by anyone! Oh well. They say Franken is in denial. Denial of what,
I wonder. Does Al Franken have a drug problem?

A perfect example of why liberals are morally bankrupt. A few minutes
ago you lamented Tommy Chong's being arrested for selling a bong,
thereby implying that smoking illegal herbs was somehow OK. Now you
imply that Rush Limbaugh, who had a problem with prescription drugs, is
unfit to be on the air. Are you saying drugs are fine if Tommy Chong
partakes, but bad if Limbaugh does?

I don't know whether or not you have a drug problem, but you sure do
have a credibility problem.

Old 17-04-2004, 11:03 PM
Salty Thumb

cacahuates wrote in :

escapee wrote:
I did hear our friendly drug addict just yesterday thanking his fans,
profusely, for being "there" for him over the last 15 and a half
(can't forget the half) years. He, Hannity and the other O' talk
about the "lib" network as if it's not being heard by anyone! Oh
well. They say Franken is in denial. Denial of what, I wonder. Does
Al Franken have a drug problem?

A perfect example of why liberals are morally bankrupt. A few minutes
ago you lamented Tommy Chong's being arrested for selling a bong,
thereby implying that smoking illegal herbs was somehow OK. Now you
imply that Rush Limbaugh, who had a problem with prescription drugs,
is unfit to be on the air. Are you saying drugs are fine if Tommy
Chong partakes, but bad if Limbaugh does?

I don't know whether or not you have a drug problem, but you sure do
have a credibility problem.

Rush Limbaugh: "And so if people are violating the law by doing drugs,
they ought to be accused and they ought to be convicted and they ought to
be sent up." -- Rush Limbaugh show, Oct. 5, 1995

Rush Limbaugh's attorneys: Drug addicts ought to be accused, enter a
plea bargain and get sent off to a nice friendly treatment center
(http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...rld/2001842882
_rush24.html)

So, V the truth of the matter is, you're probably not so much morally
bankrupt, as financially indisposed to afford lawyers who can talk out of
your ass for you.

cacahuates, as 'perfect examples' go, I suppose you are Right. Selling
drug paraphenalia that could be used to 'get high' IS the same as lying
to support a perscription drug addiction. Yessiree, it's exactly the
same. Certainly, it is 'morally' 'wrong', or wait, did I get 'morally'
confused with 'legally' again? oh, well, these days they should be
pretty much the same.

P.S. If I offered to sell a gun to a veteran, does that mean I'm implying
that killing people is okay? I just want to know, I wouldn't want to do
something that is morally bankrupt and I'm obviously not good at thinking
for myself.
Old 18-04-2004, 12:02 AM
paghat

In article , cacahuates wrote:

escapee wrote:
[...]

A perfect example of why conservatives are morally bankrupt! Tommy gets
thrown in jail for selling bongs on the web, not for using drugs. That
ugly-ass creepy Rushies Bum advocates year in, year out how drug users
should be THROWN IN JAIL for long periods of time & when it turns out HE'S
the drug addict in the room, is he hoping to be locked up?

The liberal morality is this: Drug addiction is either a leisure activity
or a disease, & neither of these shouldbe criminalized. Rush is a big fat
liar & a drug addicted piece of white trash, but he like any other addict
should either be left alone to further destroy his health as he desires,
or he should be permitted medical treatment AS an addict. But since HE
advocated the imprisonment of addicts, liberals can't help but notice the
profound bankruptcy of the man's philosophy, morality, & the irony that he
should be the one who needs to be imprisoned, by his own ideal, though
suddenly he exempts himself.

Neither Tommy -- a creative, funny, decent soul who would never hurt
anybody -- NOR that filthy piece of shit Rushes Bum -- should be tossed in
jail for drug charges. It's a perfect example of the INjustice system that
someone who is so seriously addicted he destroyed his hearing with drugs
gets away with it while advocating all kinds of monstrous destructive
things AND comparing the Clinton's daughter to a cocker spaniel, but the
innocuous self-depricating humorist who never hurt anyone gets tossed in
jail over bongs.

That conservatives can't even acknowledge the injustice shows their
inability to even understand the meaning of justice. That Rush's personal
hypocrisy & moral bankruptcy is likewise invisible to the type of
conservative who can stand the sight, sound, & stink of the Rushes' Bum,
shows their own moral bankruptcy. Furthermore, Franken is funny, Rush is
not, & Franken has expressed only sympathy for the big fat liar turning
out to be a drug addict & quite rightly doesn't thjink EITHER Truthful
Tommy OR the big fat liar should be imprisoned. It remains too damned bad
that only the good guy was taken down by the law.

-paghat the ratgirl

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 18-04-2004, 03:05 AM

well they are streaming radio on the web. works great with broadband.

escapee wrote:
Any chance you heard of them being DirecTV? If not, we plan to buy the
satellite radio, anyway.Find a Station

On The Air
New York City - WLIB 1190
Los Angeles - KBLA 1580
Chicago - WNTD 950
Minneapolis - WMNN 1330
Portland, OR - KPOJ 620
Riverside, CA - KCAA 1050
West Palm Beach, FL - WJNO 1290
Plattsburgh/Burlington - WTWK 1070
Key West, FL - WKIZ 1500
XM Satellite Radio - 167

Coming Soon
San Francisco/San Jose - KVVN 1430
San Francisco/Berkeley - KVTO 1400
Sacramento, CA
Colorado Springs, Co
Portland, ME
Santa Fe, NM
Boulder, CO
Sirius Satellite Radio
Dish Network

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 18-04-2004, 03:05 AM

they wish. Cronkite was on.
today they were talking about how right after 9/11 when stocks were tanking a money
manager was explaining to american companies how to move their company headquarters
off shore and do something called "flipping" whereby they could avoid paying taxes to
the US. they actually had the tape. so somebody asked if this wouldnt be seen as
unamerican and unsupportive of the US at this time and the money manager responded
that it wasnt really a consideration.
they also traced the movement of taxes from corporations and the wealthy and onto the
middle class year by year.
Ingrid

escapee wrote:
He, Hannity and the other O' talk about the "lib" network as if it's not
being heard by anyone!

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
Old 18-04-2004, 05:07 AM
escapee

On Sat, 17 Apr 2004 16:20:40 -0400, cacahuates opined:

A perfect example of why liberals are morally bankrupt. A few minutes
ago you lamented Tommy Chong's being arrested for selling a bong,
thereby implying that smoking illegal herbs was somehow OK. Now you
imply that Rush Limbaugh, who had a problem with prescription drugs, is
unfit to be on the air. Are you saying drugs are fine if Tommy Chong
partakes, but bad if Limbaugh does?

I don't know whether or not you have a drug problem, but you sure do
have a credibility problem.

I didn't imply anything. Tommy Chong wasn't charged with smoking pot, or
selling or growing pot. He went to jail for selling a bong. How many people in
America or the world have died from pot? Just curious. Then, while you're
finding statistics, how many people by the tens of thousands die from alcohol
related driving deaths, not to mention all the liver transplants for drunks, and
how many people die from legal cigarettes. Let's see the stats on these.

And no, to directly answer your question. I never said anything about smoking
illegal herbs. But you certainly must see the hypocrisy in this, can't you?
Rush Limbaugh did indeed do something illegal, and immoral. He was doctor
shopping. He bought street drugs. Those were not prescribed to him. So, call
them "prescription" drugs, but dope is dope and he is a junkie like anyone else
who was now, or was ever addicted to drugs.

And no, I have been clean and sober for decades. I know a dope fiend when I see
one.

Old 18-04-2004, 05:08 AM
escapee

Yes, I listen to their streaming audio, but I'm not always sitting in the
office. We are going to buy an XM radio. I want them to be more than just a
few generations down the manufacturing line. There are still kinks to work out
with the technology.

I'm pleased to hear the breath of fresh air.

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 01:21:04 GMT, opined:

escapee wrote:
[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
endorsements or recommendations I make.

Old 18-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Ann

Salty Thumb expounded:

P.S. If I offered to sell a gun to a veteran, does that mean I'm implying
that killing people is okay? I just want to know, I wouldn't want to do
something that is morally bankrupt and I'm obviously not good at thinking
for myself.

Now, just.....how.....is selling a gun to a veteran implying that
killing people is OK? Where is *that* connection coming from? It
isn't immoral for veterans to own guns, nor have all veterans killed
anyone while in our (your!) service. You've proven your last phrase,
unfortunately.

--
Ann, Gardening in zone 6a
Just south of Boston, MA
Old 18-04-2004, 03:03 PM

no frontline was on in our market, but here http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/
I found streaming video for several shows.
which one was it? Ingrid

escapee wrote:
I don't suppose you watched Frontline last night? If not, go to www.pbs.org and
read the transcript. Mind boggling.