Old 17-04-2004, 11:02 PM
EBG

Default Honeysuckle vine or?

I have a long fence far back in my property that I'd like to
grow a fast growing vine on.

I'm familiar with sliver lace (the vine from hell) and trumpet vine and I
love how fast they grow but was thinking about a honeysuckle because I don't
care if it's invasive.....but wanted some reward.....as in fragrance and
blooms.

This fence is in full sun to part sun along it's length and beyond other
suggestions....I was wondering if there's a particular Honeysuckle I should
look for......or just the "Japanese honeysuckle"? Fast and Fragrant is key.

Thank you.

Old 18-04-2004, 04:03 AM
Pam - gardengal

"EBG" wrote in message
I have a long fence far back in my property that I'd like to
grow a fast growing vine on.

I'm familiar with sliver lace (the vine from hell) and trumpet vine and I
love how fast they grow but was thinking about a honeysuckle because I

don't
care if it's invasive.....but wanted some reward.....as in fragrance and
blooms.

This fence is in full sun to part sun along it's length and beyond other
suggestions....I was wondering if there's a particular Honeysuckle I

should
look for......or just the "Japanese honeysuckle"? Fast and Fragrant is

key.

Thank you.

Avoid the Japanese - Lonicera japonica and its cultivars. Very invasive in
many parts of the country and not necessarily all that fragrant. Look for a
Dutch honeysuckle, Lonicera pericylmenum. Not at all an invasive species and
arguably the most fragrant. Grows just as fast, too.

Check out the very recent thread "Honeysuckle Vine"

pam - gardengal

Old 18-04-2004, 04:04 AM
B & J

"EBG" wrote in message
I have a long fence far back in my property that I'd like to
grow a fast growing vine on.

I'm familiar with sliver lace (the vine from hell) and trumpet vine and I
love how fast they grow but was thinking about a honeysuckle because I

don't
care if it's invasive.....but wanted some reward.....as in fragrance and
blooms.

This fence is in full sun to part sun along it's length and beyond other
suggestions....I was wondering if there's a particular Honeysuckle I

should
look for......or just the "Japanese honeysuckle"? Fast and Fragrant is

key.

Thank you.

How about sweet autumn clematis? It does grow rapidly and has a wonderful
fragrance when it begins blooming late in the summer. It grows in zones 4 -
9.

John

Old 18-04-2004, 05:11 AM
J Kolenovsky

The japanes one is bad news. Don't know where you live, but if in this
part of the US, here's a nice one.

http://plants.usda.gov/cgi_bin/plant...?symbol=3Dlose

JK

EBG wrote:
=

I have a long fence far back in my property that I'd like to
grow a fast growing vine on.
=

I'm familiar with sliver lace (the vine from hell) and trumpet vine and=

love how fast they grow but was thinking about a honeysuckle because I =

don't
care if it's invasive.....but wanted some reward.....as in fragrance an=

blooms.
=

This fence is in full sun to part sun along it's length and beyond othe=

suggestions....I was wondering if there's a particular Honeysuckle I sh=

ould
look for......or just the "Japanese honeysuckle"? Fast and Fragrant is=

key.
=

Thank you.

-- =

Celestial Habitats by J. Kolenovsky
=F4=BF=F4 - http://www.hal-pc.org/~garden/personal.html - personal
Old 18-04-2004, 06:02 AM
Suzie-Q

In article , "EBG"
wrote:

I have a long fence far back in my property that I'd like to
grow a fast growing vine on.

I'm familiar with sliver lace (the vine from hell) and trumpet vine and I
love how fast they grow but was thinking about a honeysuckle because I don't
care if it's invasive.....but wanted some reward.....as in fragrance and
blooms.

This fence is in full sun to part sun along it's length and beyond other
suggestions....I was wondering if there's a particular Honeysuckle I should
look for......or just the "Japanese honeysuckle"? Fast and Fragrant is key.

Thank you.

I have honeysuckle in my backyard. It's the one that blooms white
and then turns yellow (or vice versa - I forget which). It's just now
starting to flower.

I like it and it is very fragrant when it blooms. It even blocks out the
smell of the doggie doo! My only complaint is that the bloom period
doesn't last very long -- only a few weeks.

If I were going to choose something today I'd try to find a vine that
flowers most of the summer, if such a vine exists.

Just my 2 cents!

I'm in central Texas.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~

http://home.earthlink.net/~sme617

Old 18-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Mike LaMana

I strongly recommend Lonicera sempervirens or it's cultivars. Very
beautiful, but a tad weak on fragrance. A NATIVE species from the southern
US.

--
Mike LaMana, MS
Heartwood Consulting Services, LLC

Old 18-04-2004, 06:03 PM
Zemedelec

A NATIVE species from the southern
US.
BRBR

Not one of those made-in-taiwan species that fall apart after a few
seasons....
zemedelec
Old 18-04-2004, 09:03 PM
Mike LaMana

Exactly. And besides, Taiwanese honeysuckles are always worried about
invasion of the Chinese Loniceras.

Old 19-04-2004, 08:03 PM
Judith Truly

How about sweet peas? Beautiful flower, great smell, good for cutting
flower.
"EBG" wrote in message
I have a long fence far back in my property that I'd like to
grow a fast growing vine on.

I'm familiar with sliver lace (the vine from hell) and trumpet vine and I
love how fast they grow but was thinking about a honeysuckle because I

don't
care if it's invasive.....but wanted some reward.....as in fragrance and
blooms.

This fence is in full sun to part sun along it's length and beyond other
suggestions....I was wondering if there's a particular Honeysuckle I

should
look for......or just the "Japanese honeysuckle"? Fast and Fragrant is

key.

Thank you.

[IMG] code is On

Honeysuckle buds - honeysuckle buds.JPG (1/1) Amos Nomore Garden Photos 1 28-12-2018 03:57 AM
Hummingbird Vine=Trumpet Vine? Suzie-Q Gardening 3 16-01-2005 12:05 AM
My Honeysuckle Vine Is Developing A Strange White Fluffy Coating jim evans Gardening 3 23-05-2004 03:03 PM
Honeysuckle vine pixi Gardening 3 18-04-2004 12:03 PM
shrub Honeysuckle Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 27-10-2003 02:42 PM