Old 28-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Genevieve

Default Plant thief!

I bought 4 nice Gerber Daisies to plant around the ugly street sign in
my front yard - yellow, white, pink and orange.

A week later, the orange Gerber plant was gone and only the hole in
the ground was left. I can't imagine what happened to it. Would an
animal run off with a plant like that? I'm thinking someone wanted the
orange daisy and just absconded with it.

I should have put it in the back yard, but who thought I'd have a
problem like that?! Now I'm wondering about the Hydrangeas I'm
planning for my front beds. Will they be safe? I know - it probably
won't happen again and I'm being paranoid.

Any one else have a problem with plants that grow legs and walk away?

Genevieve
zone 9
Old 28-04-2004, 10:05 PM
chaz

"Genevieve" wrote in message
om...
I bought 4 nice Gerber Daisies to plant around the ugly street sign in
my front yard - yellow, white, pink and orange.

A week later, the orange Gerber plant was gone and only the hole in
the ground was left. I can't imagine what happened to it. Would an
animal run off with a plant like that? I'm thinking someone wanted the
orange daisy and just absconded with it.

I should have put it in the back yard, but who thought I'd have a
problem like that?! Now I'm wondering about the Hydrangeas I'm
planning for my front beds. Will they be safe? I know - it probably
won't happen again and I'm being paranoid.

Any one else have a problem with plants that grow legs and walk away?

Genevieve
zone 9

Technically, the property around a street sign is public property. I dont
know if taking a plant from public lands would be considered stealing.

Old 28-04-2004, 11:02 PM
David Hare-Scott

"Genevieve" wrote in message
om...
I bought 4 nice Gerber Daisies to plant around the ugly street sign in
my front yard - yellow, white, pink and orange.

A week later, the orange Gerber plant was gone and only the hole in
the ground was left. I can't imagine what happened to it. Would an
animal run off with a plant like that? I'm thinking someone wanted the
orange daisy and just absconded with it.

I should have put it in the back yard, but who thought I'd have a
problem like that?! Now I'm wondering about the Hydrangeas I'm
planning for my front beds. Will they be safe? I know - it probably
won't happen again and I'm being paranoid.

Any one else have a problem with plants that grow legs and walk away?

Genevieve
zone 9

It happens. A neighbour had his house renovated and when it was over did
the front yard too, this was behind the fence line. He put in a row of nice
looking shrubs. A couple of days later he had a row of nice looking holes.
He then erected a row of signs instead that said what was stolen from each
hole and left them there for several weeks, apparently trying to shame
whoever took the plants, this had no effect but looked quite comical.

David

Old 29-04-2004, 01:03 AM
Skirmishd

(Genevieve)
Date: 4/28/2004 10:51 AM Mountain

I bought 4 nice Gerber Daisies to plant around the ugly street sign in
my front yard - yellow, white, pink and orange.

A week later, the orange Gerber plant was gone and only the hole in
the ground was left. I can't imagine what happened to it. Would an
animal run off with a plant like that? I'm thinking someone wanted the
orange daisy and just absconded with it.

I should have put it in the back yard, but who thought I'd have a
problem like that?! Now I'm wondering about the Hydrangeas I'm
planning for my front beds. Will they be safe? I know - it probably
won't happen again and I'm being paranoid.

Any one else have a problem with plants that grow legs and walk away?

Genevieve
zone 9

Are you in Denver? Some of our neighbors had some shrubberies stolen a couple

of years ago, and we also had a gas grill hefted. Happily, in recent years
shrubbery thefts have declined here.

Old 29-04-2004, 04:04 AM
Grandpa

One of our local TV stations just did a piece on thieves harvesting new
trees & shrubs planted at vatrious parks and intersections. They
snagged a couple of people who jumped out of trucks, yanked the plants
out, tossed them in the bed then sped off. Caught them on camera! This
is not real common - yet - but becomming moreso where I live.

Old 29-04-2004, 10:08 AM
culprit

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
om...
Be paranoid.

Plant theft is becoming an all too frequent occurrence.
There are some out there who wouldn't give stealing plants a second

thought.

There are even reports of commercial nurseries being robbed of plants.

Some
nurseries that used to allow customers to roam freely among their stock
plants will no longer do so unless they are closely chaperoned by staff.

well, i'll do my part to remedy this by planting things in random places
that are not on my property. i accidentally bought a shade loving phlox
when i actually needed something for a sunny spot. maybe i'll put it across
the street near the mailboxes instead.

any suggestions for the median strip of the highway near work?

-kelly

Old 29-04-2004, 12:03 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 4/29/04 4:54 AM, in article ,
"culprit" wrote:

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
om...
Be paranoid.

Plant theft is becoming an all too frequent occurrence.
There are some out there who wouldn't give stealing plants a second

thought.

There are even reports of commercial nurseries being robbed of plants.

Some
nurseries that used to allow customers to roam freely among their stock
plants will no longer do so unless they are closely chaperoned by staff.

well, i'll do my part to remedy this by planting things in random places
that are not on my property. i accidentally bought a shade loving phlox
when i actually needed something for a sunny spot. maybe i'll put it across
the street near the mailboxes instead.

I like you!

any suggestions for the median strip of the highway near work?

Daylilies, older ones or species - can't kill them and they look great!

Cheryl

Old 29-04-2004, 03:03 PM
escapee

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:46:19 -0400, "chaz" opined:

Technically, the property around a street sign is public property. I dont
know if taking a plant from public lands would be considered stealing.

In the grand scheme of things. it is stealing. However you or others want to
rationalize it, it's stealing.
Old 29-04-2004, 03:04 PM
escapee

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 01:54:50 -0700, "culprit" opined:

any suggestions for the median strip of the highway near work?

-kelly

Spanish dagger, prickly cactus, twisted leaf yucca, agaves, anything that's
sharp.
Old 29-04-2004, 05:02 PM
Zemedelec

When you notice someone clipping something desireable, hang around and ask if
taking 2 or 3 clips is OK. Even a day or so later you may find usable little
snips on the sidewalk or the street.
zemedelec
Old 29-04-2004, 05:07 PM
Janet Baraclough..

The message
from Cheryl Isaak contains these words:

On 4/29/04 4:54 AM, in article ,
"culprit" wrote:

well, i'll do my part to remedy this by planting things in random places
that are not on my property.

i accidentally bought a shade loving phlox
when i actually needed something for a sunny spot. maybe i'll put
it across
the street near the mailboxes instead.

I like you!

any suggestions for the median strip of the highway near work?

Daylilies, older ones or species - can't kill them and they look great!

It's a nice idea to plant in public places for everyone to enjoy but
there are sometimes drawbacks. For example, certain plants might be
unwelcome around childrens play areas or within reach of animal grazing
land, and sometimes it's more important for drivers to have a clear
view, or for pedestrians to have a safe refuge, than it is to look
pretty.

I've found that snowdrops and daffodils work well; that was in an area
where the long roadside verges were tractor-trimmed every summer for
safety reasons, so anything summer flowering would have been pointless.
There's just one more downside, which was that quite often, drivers
would stop,leap out and pick some flowers. There were so many flowers,
it wasn't so much the picking that mattered as the fact they had stopped
the vehicle on a very dangerous narrow bend above a deep unprotected
drop :-(. So be careful where you place temptation.

Janet.

Old 29-04-2004, 05:08 PM
theoneflasehaddock

Subject: Plant thief!
From: (Genevieve)
Date: 4/28/2004 11:51 AM Central Daylight Time
I bought 4 nice Gerber Daisies to plant around the ugly street sign in
my front yard - yellow, white, pink and orange.

A week later, the orange Gerber plant was gone and only the hole in
the ground was left. I can't imagine what happened to it. Would an
animal run off with a plant like that? I'm thinking someone wanted the
orange daisy and just absconded with it.

I should have put it in the back yard, but who thought I'd have a
problem like that?! Now I'm wondering about the Hydrangeas I'm
planning for my front beds. Will they be safe? I know - it probably
won't happen again and I'm being paranoid.

Any one else have a problem with plants that grow legs and walk away?

Last summer I found a cardinal flower (Lobelia cardinalis) (protected by state
law here) on state land (a natural area, where ALL plants found are protected
by state law). I returned to show my girlfriend that night, as she'd never seen
a cardinal flower. Someone had cut the entire flower stalk, and taken the
flowers.

Whoever did it borke two laws, including the one protecting threatened plants
in this state.

I assume it was kids, who wanted to take the flowers home to their parents. I
sincerely hope the parents try and educate the kids on why not to do that, but
expect instead they'll tell the kids how nice the flowers are.

Since they took the whole plant in your case, I doubt it was kids. Personally,
I would add half-buried mousetraps to any plants you assume are in danger of
being stolen. Perhaps the screams will catch a thief. (notice - do not actually
do this, as they're likely to then vandalize your house if they're not caught).

-

theoneflasehaddock