Old 29-04-2004, 06:02 PM
theoneflasehaddock

Default Plant thief!

Subject: Plant thief!
From: "chaz"
Date: 4/28/2004 3:46 PM Central Daylight Time

"Genevieve" wrote in message
. com...
I bought 4 nice Gerber Daisies to plant around the ugly street sign in
my front yard - yellow, white, pink and orange.

A week later, the orange Gerber plant was gone and only the hole in
the ground was left. I can't imagine what happened to it. Would an
animal run off with a plant like that? I'm thinking someone wanted the
orange daisy and just absconded with it.

I should have put it in the back yard, but who thought I'd have a
problem like that?! Now I'm wondering about the Hydrangeas I'm
planning for my front beds. Will they be safe? I know - it probably
won't happen again and I'm being paranoid.

Any one else have a problem with plants that grow legs and walk away?

Genevieve
zone 9

Technically, the property around a street sign is public property. I dont
know if taking a plant from public lands would be considered stealing.

Actually, taking a plant - or seeds - or flowers, or any part of a plant, from
state land, is illegal. Not technically stealing, I believe there is a separate
law against it.

There is also laws against planting there, however, they aren't usually
enforced, except in natural areas and parks.

Both are there mainly to protect native plants, especially rare ones.

-

theoneflasehaddock

Old 29-04-2004, 06:02 PM
theoneflasehaddock

From: Grandpa jsdebooATcomcast.net
Date: 4/28/2004 9:39 PM Central Daylight Time
One of our local TV stations just did a piece on thieves harvesting new
trees & shrubs planted at vatrious parks and intersections. They
snagged a couple of people who jumped out of trucks, yanked the plants
out, tossed them in the bed then sped off. Caught them on camera! This
is not real common - yet - but becomming moreso where I live.

They did this where I am originally from - stole newly planted trees straight
out of a state park. They never did catch the people, I assume it is probably
still going on.

-

theoneflasehaddock
Old 29-04-2004, 06:02 PM
Bill Spohn

The former curator of a large park here in Vancouver tells me that when they
put out new Rhododendrons they had gardeners strip all of the blooms for the
first few years, until they got big enough to be a bit hard to steal, otherwise
they would have gone home in someone's trunk.

I figure plant theft, at least from your garden, should be punishable by
burying the miscreant up to his chin in a dung heap on a hot day!
Old 29-04-2004, 06:03 PM
paghat

In article , Grandpa
jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote:

One of our local TV stations just did a piece on thieves harvesting new
trees & shrubs planted at vatrious parks and intersections. They
snagged a couple of people who jumped out of trucks, yanked the plants
out, tossed them in the bed then sped off. Caught them on camera! This
is not real common - yet - but becomming moreso where I live.

I saw an article a couple years back about a group of thieves who cut &
rolled up perfect lawns to sell to a landscaper. Imagine some obsessive
compulsive dunderhead working his guts out for that perfect lawn coming
home & finding it all missing. Lawns are evil single-species destroyers of
the natural world, but still, gotta feel sorry for the obsessive
compulsives.

-paghat the ratgirl

Genevieve wrote:
I bought 4 nice Gerber Daisies to plant around the ugly street sign in
my front yard - yellow, white, pink and orange.

A week later, the orange Gerber plant was gone and only the hole in
the ground was left. I can't imagine what happened to it. Would an
animal run off with a plant like that? I'm thinking someone wanted the
orange daisy and just absconded with it.

I should have put it in the back yard, but who thought I'd have a
problem like that?! Now I'm wondering about the Hydrangeas I'm
planning for my front beds. Will they be safe? I know - it probably
won't happen again and I'm being paranoid.

Any one else have a problem with plants that grow legs and walk away?

Genevieve
zone 9

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 29-04-2004, 06:03 PM
paghat

In article ,
wrote:

I've had this happen in my backyard, so it is possible an animal did it,

but not
likely. People have been sucking for a long time. It's a very

difficult thing
to live with and be sane and happy.

I'd agree a BRAND NEW planting not yet rooted into its hole & perhaps
having some kind of fishy odor to it from the grower's over-use of
fertilizer, a dog might indeed snap it right out of the ground & run off
with it. Still, if it was a flowery little clump, I vote it was a
yellow-fingered piece of white trash who needed it for her one-square-yard
garden in front of her rental in the crowded trailer court alongside the
railroad tracks. At least the victim of the theft has the consolation of
knowing the thief has to live her white trash thieve's life & is pretty
regularly beaten black & blue by her unemployable alcoholic
boyfriend/half-brother.

-paghat the ratgirl

On 28 Apr 2004 09:51:29 -0700,
(Genevieve) opined:

I bought 4 nice Gerber Daisies to plant around the ugly street sign in
my front yard - yellow, white, pink and orange.

A week later, the orange Gerber plant was gone and only the hole in
the ground was left. I can't imagine what happened to it. Would an
animal run off with a plant like that? I'm thinking someone wanted the
orange daisy and just absconded with it.

I should have put it in the back yard, but who thought I'd have a
problem like that?! Now I'm wondering about the Hydrangeas I'm
planning for my front beds. Will they be safe? I know - it probably
won't happen again and I'm being paranoid.

Any one else have a problem with plants that grow legs and walk away?

Genevieve
zone 9

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
See the Garden of Paghat the Ratgirl:
http://www.paghat.com/

Old 29-04-2004, 09:02 PM
M. Tiefert

escapee wrote:
I've had this happen in my backyard, so it is possible an animal did it, but not
likely. People have been sucking for a long time. It's a very difficult thing
to live with and be sane and happy.

I've had it happen too - and the perp was a little old lady who even
pulled plants on her walk home from church on Sunday!

cheers,

Marj
--
Marj Tiefert: http://www.mindspring.com/~mtiefert/
Mediterranean Garden Shop: http://stores.tiefert.com/garden/
Old 29-04-2004, 10:05 PM
chaz

"Warren" wrote in message
chaz wrote:

Technically, the property around a street sign is public property. I

dont
know if taking a plant from public lands would be considered stealing.

If the sign is simply in an easement, then it's still private property.
But if it is publicly owned land, it is still stealing, only the victim
is now the public entity that owns the land.

Central Park is public land, but if you tried to take a park bench,
you'd obviously be stealing. Just because something is on public land
doesn't mean it's there for the public to take.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Blatant Plug: Spend your Amazon gift certificates he
http://www.holzemville.com/mall/associateshop.html

You are incorrect.

Old 29-04-2004, 11:02 PM

Any one else have a problem with plants that grow legs and walk away?

Genevieve
zone 9

http://abclocal.go.com/wls/news/stra...palmtrees.html

i hate to say this, but evil nurserymen have been stealing saguaro cacti for
more than 30 years!! they dig up young babies and take them back to their
city floral shops and/or nurseries and sell them for HOUSE PLANTS!

and then, too, are the ever wise folk of phoenix, arizona who decided to
turn phoenix into an agricultural wonderland and proceeded to put in
irrigation canals which aid in adding humidity to a land which is supposed
to be arid and they, too, have aided in the "stealing" of saguaro and other
cacti by killing the native climate. saguaro and other cacti need aridity;
too much humidity causes their death.

gee, arizona may have to change their state tree from the saguaro to russian
olives before much longer. (sigh) another wonderful mechanical disease.
we can add this to the list with kudzu and water hyacinths.

Old 29-04-2004, 11:05 PM
culprit

"theoneflasehaddock" ****off wrote in message

Please don't do this. Invasive plants are a problem. If you must do this -

pick
something that's native, please.

No need to spread introduced plants pointlessly.

well, i was partially joking...

but i do have a native wildflower mix that might be nice. they're all
pretty fragile, i doubt they'd become a problem.

it's not like i'm planning on planting english ivy or something. ;-)

-kelly

Old 29-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Cereus-validus

Not true, bluenose.

Nurserymen need to get permission to dig up Cactaceae in Arizona. Nowadays,
they are rescue missions to relocate the plants before the valuable
succulents are plowed under by disinterested land developers. Blame it on
suburban sprawl by people who have no reason to live in the desert, land
speculators and greedy politicians not the nurserymen.