Old 28-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Jean B.

Default Doing a happy dance!

May I enthuse here for a moment? After about 1.5 years, I have
finally gotten a slot with the local landscaper who does things
without using herbicides and pesticides. And he speaks English,
so he will know that I want to leave the pine needles under the
pines, and I want to naturalize part of the back yard (minus a few
extremely aggressive weeds), and I don't want the moss blown off
the ground, etc. I am sooooo happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And I've been doing a lot of planting here this spring. Putting
in a lot of colorful things. I wonder if anyone else just starts
with appealing-looking plants (checking for suitability, of
course) and then just proceeds where that logically takes them.
Or do most people actually have plans? Seems to me that when I
have had plans, they go awry because of availability or price or
other factors I can't control.

And I have been paying attention to ultimate size, which, alas,
makes things look rather sparse right now.
--
Jean B.
Old 28-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Cereus-validus

Well, isn't that special!

You must be giggling like a school girl with anticipation of doing it with
own local landscaper. I bet you are looking forward to Rex servicing your
private garden with his rigid tool and planting his bulbous and woody 10
gallon container novelties in you well tended moist plot! Are you really up
to the ultimate size? May you get what you paid for!!

Old 28-05-2004, 09:06 PM
madgardener

you might want to ignore Cereus Maximus Flacidus on his response to you,
regardless to his rapier like come backs...........g
I myself don't plan too much, I just plug things in, but now I have to plan
things as I've run out of plantable areas until I clear the woods...........
madgardener

Old 29-05-2004, 02:03 AM
Cereus-validus

Aw admit it Madgard, you're just jealous that Jeannybee beat you to Rex the
private landscaper. You will just have to make due with your well worn
dibble a little longer.

Old 29-05-2004, 02:05 AM
'enry VIII

"Cereus-validus" wrote in message
m...
Aw admit it Madgard, you're just jealous that Jeannybee beat you to Rex
the

Seems that there is a fool like "Cereus-validus" on every newsgroup, best
not to waste the time pee'ing on him, just kill file the turd! VBG

*PLONK

'enry VIII

Old 29-05-2004, 03:06 AM
Cereus-validus

Now you can play the fool in this newsgroup, you rectal wart.

You only spite yourself by blocking. Now I can make fun of you behind your
back, you clueless troll wannabe.

Old 29-05-2004, 04:06 AM
madgardener

it's worn to a nice comfortable nubbins now, thank you, and that would be
Jethro thank ye vury mutch.........g
maddie

Old 29-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Joe

On 05/28/2004 09:11 AM, Jean B. said:
May I enthuse here for a moment? After about 1.5 years, I have
finally gotten a slot with the local landscaper who does things
without using herbicides and pesticides....

Good for you! I always thought there'd be a big market for
eco-friendly landscapers. Besides not using herbicides and
pesticides, it would be great to see someone using non-gas powered
tools for trimming hedges or raking leaves. I guess we don't see
that because it's not economically sound (time = money). But maybe
my supposition is wrong, and I should try starting that business
someday.

Good luck with you new landscaper, Jean.

--
Joe
http://www.joekaz.net/

Old 30-05-2004, 11:02 AM
Janice

On Sat, 29 May 2004 09:57:51 -0400, Joe wrote:

On 05/28/2004 09:11 AM, Jean B. said:
May I enthuse here for a moment? After about 1.5 years, I have
finally gotten a slot with the local landscaper who does things
without using herbicides and pesticides....

Good for you! I always thought there'd be a big market for
eco-friendly landscapers. Besides not using herbicides and
pesticides, it would be great to see someone using non-gas powered
tools for trimming hedges or raking leaves. I guess we don't see
that because it's not economically sound (time = money). But maybe
my supposition is wrong, and I should try starting that business
someday.

Good luck with you new landscaper, Jean.

haha.. well I'm figuring it's good when you can find one who knows a
flower from a weed, or even a vegetable from a weed!

I have a friend who used to accompany another friend and I when we
used to go "Greenhousing" which amounted to going to each and every
greenhouse we could find in town and even in neighboring towns. That
was a big deal to me as I've never really owned a real trustworthy
vehicle, so it was always a risk. Anyway, that friend has been
helping me around the yard, and I've been paying her, is going to move
pretty soon, out of state! This is going to leave me in bad way since
I can't afford to pay big prices, and most of the people doing yard
work are only mowing lawns, maybe weed whacking the edges, and beyond
that do more damage than help, and if you have an area you can trust
them to weed, they want $25 an hour or more, to do hand weeding!

I'm just not able to do more than sit and spray the hose around the
yard and soak the half whiskey barrel planters, and pull some weeds
out of the ones I can reach. It's depressing

So I can see someone being delighted to acquire help that doesn't
require continual supervision to keep from losing your plants! I
can't do that all the time, and when it gets really hot, can't spend
very much time outside at all. I generally go out early morning or
later in the day.. not early evening .. mid? after the sun is off the
yard, and the temperatures has had time to drop 10 or 15 degrees.

I'm going to have to put out a plea for help, but I hate to advertise
my inability to get around well as that can also be a "come help
yourself to anything I own" ad too. I'd have to get a few large dogs
too! LOL

Janice
Old 31-05-2004, 04:02 AM
Jean B.

madgardener wrote:

you might want to ignore Cereus Maximus Flacidus on his response to you,
regardless to his rapier like come backs...........g
I myself don't plan too much, I just plug things in, but now I have to plan
things as I've run out of plantable areas until I clear the woods...........
madgardener

Yup, I finally killfiled him, so life will be much more pleasant,
I think. :-)

Yes, I do think eventually I will have to plan. Actually, my play
has led me to another question/pondering--whether I should put
some annuals in the currently large spaces between the
perennials? Actually, I like a very lush look, so I hope I am not
making a big mistake in paying attention to the spacing
suggestions. I guess those mistakes will be rectifiable though.

For some reason, this is my year to "play in the dirt". I am a
woman obsessed. I dragged my poor daughter to at least five
nurseries in two days and am now trying to be kind until she goes
back to school on Tuesday.

All this, in addition to my long-awaited connection with the local
landscaper is really psyching me.

--
Jean B.

Old 31-05-2004, 04:03 AM
Jean B.

Joe wrote:

On 05/28/2004 09:11 AM, Jean B. said:
May I enthuse here for a moment? After about 1.5 years, I have
finally gotten a slot with the local landscaper who does things
without using herbicides and pesticides....

Good for you! I always thought there'd be a big market for
eco-friendly landscapers. Besides not using herbicides and
pesticides, it would be great to see someone using non-gas powered
tools for trimming hedges or raking leaves. I guess we don't see
that because it's not economically sound (time = money). But maybe
my supposition is wrong, and I should try starting that business
someday.

Good luck with you new landscaper, Jean.

Thanks, Joe. I am actually hoping they leave the mulched
clippings on the ground--and don't use those blowers at all. I'll
see. I am willing to bet they use gas-powered mowers though.

--
Jean B.
Old 31-05-2004, 04:04 AM
Jean B.

Janice wrote:

[...]

I hear you! Maybe you could show them what you don't want
weeded--of course, that assumes they will understand/remember. I
have just been soooo nervous with the guys who have been coming up
until now--in part, because I have had awful experiences with such
folks, first at my dad's and now here. I do have one theory that
may help--the companies that are just starting out may be much
more conscientious and knowledgeable than the second (or more)
generation ones--or even first-generation ones that have enough of
a reputation so they can coast. (I'm sure there are exceptions to
my generation theory, kids who are actually interested in the
business who have taken over--but that has not been my
experience.) Another thing that helps is if your directions are
a) understood, and b) passed on.
--
Jean B.