Old 30-07-2004, 02:47 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Deer driving me nuts

"Lady Blacksword" wrote in message

Asking men to avoid indulging in hugging (Playboy) bunnies is like

asking
a woman not to like shoes.

*laughter*
But I -hate- shopping for shoes. And I'd much rather go barefoot if I

could
get away w/ it in public.
Murri

You *could* get away with it if we were allowed to shoot people who break
glass in the sidewalks and leave it there. I wonder if my state assemblyman
would sponsor such legislation.

Old 10-08-2004, 08:53 PM

John,
I bought a Cat/Dog Stop (ultrasonic repellant) from
www.backyard-lifestyle.com
to keep the raccoons and squirrels out of my garden.
It works great, uses a motion detector to increase the 9v battery
life, so it lasts for months. With a Deer's hearing, I would expect
them to be afraid of an Ultrasonic Repellant too.

I hope this helps,
Norman

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 11:04:04 -0400, John Bachman
wrote:

First they got my blueberries, then they got my raspberries. Now they
are into the vegetable garden. I will not have to be concerned with
my tomato plants getting too tall, nor will I have too many peppers,
beans, butternut and cukes.

Any good remedies before the peaches and pears begin to ripen?

TIA

John

Old 10-08-2004, 10:26 PM
paghat

In article ,
wrote:

John,
I bought a Cat/Dog Stop (ultrasonic repellant) from
www.backyard-lifestyle.com
to keep the raccoons and squirrels out of my garden.
It works great, uses a motion detector to increase the 9v battery
life, so it lasts for months. With a Deer's hearing, I would expect
them to be afraid of an Ultrasonic Repellant too.

That's three times in one day (& the day just starting) that you've
spammed for this worthless product. And I'm annoyed with myself for at
first mistaking you for a hornswoggled victim of some purveyor of
worthless junk, rather than yourself the hornswoggling purveyor.

A warning to all: This spammer's persistantly recommended product is
bogus. Though he pretends to be a satisfied customer for the bogus
product, he has posted nothing but spams for this company, & seems to
think he can pass undetected as a stealth spammer. So two acts of a crook:
Pretending satisfaction with a product known to be bogus, & pretending not
to be a spammer. Really three crooked acts, spamming newsgroups at all is
just not done by any company that could be considered honest & competent.

See this overview of the worthless product, with university links in-text:
http://www.paghat.com/ultrasonic.html

-paghat the ratgirl

wrote:

First they got my blueberries, then they got my raspberries. Now they
are into the vegetable garden. I will not have to be concerned with
my tomato plants getting too tall, nor will I have too many peppers,
beans, butternut and cukes.

Any good remedies before the peaches and pears begin to ripen?

TIA

John

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"
Old 11-08-2004, 01:21 AM
John Bachman

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:26:36 -0700,
(paghat) wrote:

In article ,
wrote:

[...]

Nicely done ratgirl.

John

Old 11-08-2004, 07:43 PM
ajames54

(paghat) wrote in message ...
In article ,
wrote:

Snip

A warning to all: This spammer's persistantly recommended product is
bogus. Though he pretends to be a satisfied customer for the bogus
product, he has posted nothing but spams for this company, & seems to
think he can pass undetected as a stealth spammer. So two acts of a crook:
Pretending satisfaction with a product known to be bogus, & pretending not
to be a spammer. Really three crooked acts, spamming newsgroups at all is
just not done by any company that could be considered honest & competent.

Snip

While I certainly applaud the anti spam work ... I just wanted to say
that the particular model being recommended here does show some
effectiveness in my highly scientific back yard and beer tests...

We have many feral and semi-feral cats in the neighborhood, they are
attracted to the bird feeders / pond and tend to use my garden as a
litter-box / lovers-lane. I've tried all sorts of things to keep them
out and am always looking for something easier for me.. (after all I
can't sit there with the garden hose 24/7)..

Anyway sitting in the yard drinking beer and watching for the cats and
pointing it at them and triggering it they do leave the yard, casually
quietly (supposedly humanely), but not at all satisfactorily (for me..
I want them to jump!).

The Squirrels and Raccoons don't seem to care…but neither do the
birds.

The company that makes these things also makes the Scarecrow hose
jobbie.. which has been the most effective area deterrent I've found,
its only drawbacks are the fact that it is tough to set it so it wont
spray the birds, and it leaks.

After the sprayer, orange peel and Cayenne pepper seem still slightly
more effective than the ultrasonic thing..

For zone defense, I prefer the fi-shock fence… nothing seems to get
past it and it should work for the deer in the OP.

Currently the fi-shock surrounds the pond and winds through the
background foliage, orange peel in all the garden beds, and the scare
crow covering much of the open area.

I figure I'll use the ultra sonic thing to keep them from crapping on
the porch … (I think I've offended them)

Anyway all these things are available all over the web there is no
need to buy from spammers …
Old 12-08-2004, 12:46 PM
SVTKate

"ajames54" wrote in message

| We have many feral and semi-feral cats in the neighborhood, they are
| attracted to the bird feeders / pond and tend to use my garden as a
| litter-box / lovers-lane. I've tried all sorts of things to keep them
| out and am always looking for something easier for me.. (after all I
| can't sit there with the garden hose 24/7)..

If you have enough beer you can!

Old 14-08-2004, 12:26 PM
ajames

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 11:46:36 GMT, "SVTKate"
wrote:

"ajames54" wrote in message

| We have many feral and semi-feral cats in the neighborhood, they are
| attracted to the bird feeders / pond and tend to use my garden as a
| litter-box / lovers-lane. I've tried all sorts of things to keep them
| out and am always looking for something easier for me.. (after all I
| can't sit there with the garden hose 24/7)..

If you have enough beer you can!

Weird.. your the second person in a week who has raised the concept of
"enough" beer ... I just don't get it...
Old 16-08-2004, 02:56 AM
Crashj

wrote:
"ajames54" wrote in message
| I've tried all sorts of things to keep them
| out and am always looking for something easier for me.. (after all I
| can't sit there with the garden hose 24/7)..

If you have enough beer you can!

Weird.. your the second person in a week who has raised the concept of
"enough" beer ... I just don't get it...

Some is good,
More is better,
Too much ought to be about right.
--
Crashj

[IMG] code is On

Weather Driving Me Nuts Mel United Kingdom 7 18-03-2006 10:46 AM
Deer driving me nuts paghat Ponds 12 16-08-2004 02:56 AM
Deer driving me nuts paghat Ponds 0 10-08-2004 10:26 PM
Deer driving me nuts John Bachman Gardening 0 24-07-2004 04:04 PM
Squirrel is driving me nuts Barry Texas 5 15-09-2003 12:42 PM