Old 27-07-2004, 03:16 AM
zxcvbob

Default Deer driving me nuts

John Bachman wrote:
First they got my blueberries, then they got my raspberries. Now they
are into the vegetable garden. I will not have to be concerned with
my tomato plants getting too tall, nor will I have too many peppers,
beans, butternut and cukes.

Any good remedies before the peaches and pears begin to ripen?

TIA

John

I *just* bought a motion-detecting sprinkler to keep cats from digging
up my garden. I haven't used it yet, but it says it works on deer.
Nobody (except maybe a duck) likes to get sprayed with a stream of water.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...qid=1090694467

Best regards,
Bob
Old 27-07-2004, 03:17 AM
Phisherman

On Sat, 24 Jul 2004 11:04:04 -0400, John Bachman
wrote:

First they got my blueberries, then they got my raspberries. Now they
are into the vegetable garden. I will not have to be concerned with
my tomato plants getting too tall, nor will I have too many peppers,
beans, butternut and cukes.

Any good remedies before the peaches and pears begin to ripen?

TIA

John

Deer love peaches and apples. I've seen them stand on their back legs
to reach the fruit. Try applications of products such as "Deer Away"
or "Deer Scram." They work, but you need to re-apply them from time
to time. One of the ingredients is cow blood.
Old 27-07-2004, 03:22 AM
Doug Kanter

Some people swear that deer are repelled by hanging bunches of human hair
around the flower beds. Makes sense, if you consider how much money is spent
by hunters to buy products which suppress their scent while hunting. Anyway,
the hair is free - visit any haircutting salon. Bundle it in pieces of
pantyhose.

Here in NY, it is legal to kill any animal which destroys food crops. A
permit is sometimes required if it's an animal which falls under the hunting
season regulations. And obviously, local laws (and common sense) governing
the discharge of firearms must be observed. But, if you're in a location
where you can imagine a rifle or shotgun being safe to use, call your
state's environmental department and find out what your options are.

Venison is delicious. Got any juniper growing nearby? Or, marinate the meat
with good gin.

Old 27-07-2004, 04:02 AM
Stephen M. Henning

"Doug Kanter" wrote:

Some people swear that deer are repelled by hanging bunches of human hair
around the flower beds.

Men's hair works best for some reason. All repellents work for a little
while until the deer's hunger exceeds their fear. They are quite adept
at becoming accustomed to such repellents. If you ever drive through
Valley Forge Park (PA), you will find that they eventually loose any
sense of fear they ever had. The only true way to keep deer out of an
area is a physical barrier. They are light weight deer fences.
www.bennersgardens.com is one source.

--
Pardon my spam deterrent; send email to
Cheers, Steve Henning in Reading, PA USA http://home.earthlink.net/~rhodyman
Old 27-07-2004, 04:03 AM
Sunflower

"John Bachman" wrote in message
First they got my blueberries, then they got my raspberries. Now they
are into the vegetable garden. I will not have to be concerned with
my tomato plants getting too tall, nor will I have too many peppers,
beans, butternut and cukes.

Any good remedies before the peaches and pears begin to ripen?

TIA

John

Everything but a deer fence or electric wire is an impermanant solution, or
incredibly expensive over time. Deer don't mind sprinklers at all and get
used to human or predator scent. Especially if there are tasty treats that
they want to snack on. The repellent products with eggs or other noxious
scents work similarly. In other words, temporarily. Deer products with a
bitter taste that rely on the plant incorporating them into itself for a
deterrent effect will work fairly well until the deer population pressures
are too great during a famine year. They are also very, very, expensive
over the long term, wheras an electric wire is very very cheap. Deer will
eat bark off of trees and everything else if they are really hungry,
especially in winter months. You haven't seen deer damage until you go out
and all of your shrubs are gone above the snowline. My cousin in RI lost
every single rose one year down to the ground because of deer. SHe now has
the electric fence I suggested and couldn't be more happy with it. A one
time investment of between $50 to a couple of hundred dollars, depending on
if you already have a fence in place with which to use as a base for the
standoffs for the wire.

Old 27-07-2004, 05:05 AM
Lady Blacksword

"Sunflower" wrote in message

[...]

And deer NEVER get to the point of eating the bark off of trees unless a
bunch of bunny huggers decide to get laws passed the restrict hunting to the
point of non-existence. Same way with other herd type animals.

They over-populate.

WE KILLED OFF ALL THEIR NATURAL PREDATORS.

It's time we quit wimping out and stepped up to the plate. You kill off an
animals' survival needs, you should take responsibility.

Remember that herd of elk that fell thru some ice at Yellowstone? (yeah,
it's been awhile)
Most of them weighed 1/4 of their normal weight. A bull Elk should weigh far
more than 150 lbs. A healthy whitetail doe weighs between 150 lbs. & 190
lbs. Hundreds of them were out there looking for food.

Quit bunny hugging the environment to death already, and check with Fish &
Wildlife in your area, nuisance permits can usually be bought year 'round,
and fairly cheap.

Murri

Old 27-07-2004, 05:27 AM
steve

they dont like being shot with wrist rocket slingshots

Old 27-07-2004, 05:30 AM
Ray Jestheimier

"Lady Blacksword" wrote in message

It's time we quit wimping out and stepped up to the plate. You kill off an
animals' survival needs, you should take responsibility.

Remember that herd of elk that fell thru some ice at Yellowstone? (yeah,
it's been awhile)
Most of them weighed 1/4 of their normal weight. A bull Elk should weigh
far
more than 150 lbs. A healthy whitetail doe weighs between 150 lbs. & 190
lbs. Hundreds of them were out there looking for food.

Quit bunny hugging the environment to death already, and check with Fish &
Wildlife in your area, nuisance permits can usually be bought year 'round,
and fairly cheap.

Seems like you are saying that this is a human made problem and not a deer
problem.

Perhaps the solution would be to restrict the human population to urban
areas so as to not destroy the habitat for wildlife.

I suggest that you be the first to return your property to the goverment, so
that it may be re-naturized!

If you are the problem, you are the pest, not the deer!

Perhaps you could take a nuisance permit out on yourself.

Ray

Murri

Old 27-07-2004, 05:30 AM
Ray Jestheimier

"steve" wrote in message
they dont like being shot with wrist rocket slingshots

Do you?

Try shooting your mother or father with one, see if they like it!

Ray

Old 27-07-2004, 09:49 AM
toller

Around here they use they use electric fences around important stuff.

My last dog liked the woods in our back yard, so we never had any deer back
there. The new dog is afraid to go back there alone, so the deer have
retaken it. She does keep them out of the front yard at least. (old dog
chased them; new one rolls on her bad, but at least the smell is effective.)

Old 27-07-2004, 02:02 PM
Bert

Ray Jestheimier wrote:

"steve" wrote in message

they dont like being shot with wrist rocket slingshots

Do you?

Try shooting your mother or father with one, see if they like it!

Ray

If I caught them eating my bushes, I would!

Bert

Old 27-07-2004, 03:04 PM
Doug Kanter

"Ray Jestheimier" wrote in message

Seems like you are saying that this is a human made problem and not a deer
problem.

Sounds to me like one of your hobbies is ignoring reality. :-)

Here's an example, one which YOU know is typical all over America:

I live in Rochester NY. The population of the city proper is declining
slowly, but remaining pretty much level within the county. Many people don't
want to live near blacks, gays and Hispanical folks, so even though the
city's full of gorgeous houses and fine neighborhoods, people are moving to
the suburbs. Twenty years ago, those suburbs were beautiful rolling farm
properties - really productive ones, too. Production was about evenly
divided between dairy feed and vegetables for canning/freezing. Now, they're
being gobbled up by housing developers. Because many developers are as dumb
as a bag of hammers, they like to remove the large wooded patches which
existed between the farm properties. Instinctively, this is where deer spend
much of their time. Ask a hunter about this, or pay attention to where the
deer crossing signs are located along roads.

Here's the tricky part: If there are ten patches of woods in a given area
and you remove eight of them, the deer will still seek out the remaining
two. This is where they find shelter at certain times of day, and food in
particular seasons. If YOU needed a place to sleep in the middle of January,
you'd head for woods, not an open field.

So, the more they wander, the more interesting things they find, like our
gardens.

Call it a deer problem if you like. It's really an interface problem. I have
no problem with hunting to control the deer population, but in addition to
that, I think we should regulate what stupid developers are allowed to do
insofar as removing habitat.

[IMG] code is On

Weather Driving Me Nuts Mel United Kingdom 7 18-03-2006 10:46 AM
Deer driving me nuts paghat Ponds 12 16-08-2004 02:56 AM
Deer driving me nuts paghat Ponds 0 10-08-2004 10:26 PM
Deer driving me nuts John Bachman Gardening 0 24-07-2004 04:04 PM
Squirrel is driving me nuts Barry Texas 5 15-09-2003 12:42 PM