Old 01-08-2004, 07:08 PM
Doug Kanter

Default Dahlia disaster!

"Travis" wrote in message
news
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 8/1/04 2:35 AM, in article ,
"Travis" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 7/31/04 7:17 PM, in article

,
"Vox Humana" wrote:

I planted some large dahlias this year using a support system that

someone
(here?) recommended. It consisted of tomato cages that had the lets

cut
off. You put the cage on the ground, large circle down, and fastened

it to
the ground with the wire legs that you cut off.

All went well for a while. The dahlia got to be about 6 feet tall and

were
covered with flowers. Last nigh we had a moderate storm with some big
gusts. One neighbor lost his Bradford pear (not that it was a shock).

The
wind broke off my dahlias about two fee from the ground. They are all

bent
over and pinched tightly on main stem. I doubt that they could be

uprighted
and live? Any advice would be appreciated. At this point I assume

that the
only thing I can do is cut them off at the ground and let them start

over.

I haven't done it, but my mom does and grandmother did - stick a bamboo
pole/stake and gently and frequently tie the stem to the stake. Gram

had a
supply of stakes up to 10 foot tall just for this problem; she grew

dahlias
competitively back in the 60's.

Cheryl

Be careful when sticking anything in the ground now, you don't want to
pierce the tubers.

I assumed he ( and most gardeners) would be smart enough to know that.

Cheryl

Obviously not. A smart gardener would have put a stake in when the
tubers of tall Dahlia's were first planted.

A ****REALLY**** smart gardener would not put an apostrophe in the plural of
dahlia.

Old 01-08-2004, 07:25 PM
William Wagner

Obviously not. A smart gardener would have put a stake in when the
tubers of tall Dahlia's were first planted.

This dumb gardener stakes plants all summer as the need shows. I do
have a few 15 foot pipe for a small tree or two that asked to be
supported. I've also been know to cut tubers in half.... This AM heavy
rain pushed the plox right to the edge.

Dahlia are troublesome here but they will winter over as perennial if
within two feet of our south facing wall. Yup even after last January.

William(Bill)

--
Zone 5 S Jersey USA Shade Earth sometimes.
There is atleast one word misspelled deliberately in the above post. )

Old 01-08-2004, 07:32 PM
Travis

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Travis" wrote in message
news
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 8/1/04 2:35 AM, in article ,
"Travis" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 7/31/04 7:17 PM, in article

,

"Vox Humana" wrote:

[...]

Gardening had nothing to do with it. I'm a dummy when it comes to
punctuation and grammer.

--
Travis in Shoreline Washington
Old 01-08-2004, 07:32 PM
Travis

Doug Kanter wrote:

"Travis" wrote in message
news
Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 8/1/04 2:35 AM, in article ,
"Travis" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 7/31/04 7:17 PM, in article

,

Old 01-08-2004, 09:51 PM
Vox Humana

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
The sale of those those tomato cages is aimed at the same type of person

who
buys a Chrysler mini-van. Hopefully, the customer learns their lesson and
never goes back. And no self respecting Large Plant (dahlia, tomato) will
last long in such a cage. Finally, the fastening method you used had
absolutely ZERO reasons to be successful.

Live and learn. In the past I just let them sprawl. They did fine, but it
was messy. I was thinking about the wire fence method that you mentioned.
I'm sure it would be far superior to the tomato cage. The biggest problem
wasn't that the cages fell over, but that they weren't tall enough.

Old 01-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 8/1/04 1:59 PM, in article ,
"Travis" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 8/1/04 2:35 AM, in article ,
"Travis" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 7/31/04 7:17 PM, in article ,
"Vox Humana" wrote:

[...]

Gram did that with the ones she knew would get really tall, but every so
often something would surprise her!

I have a fond memory of her with this one dinner plate dahlia that must have
gotten much taller than expected; she had me teach her knots to bind several
of those 10 foot poles together and hold the step stool while she secured
it.

Cheryl

Old 01-08-2004, 10:15 PM
Cheryl Isaak

On 8/1/04 1:59 PM, in article ,
"Travis" wrote:

Cheryl Isaak wrote:

On 8/1/04 2:35 AM, in article ,
"Travis" wrote:

Old 02-08-2004, 04:50 AM
Doug Kanter

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
The sale of those those tomato cages is aimed at the same type of person

who
buys a Chrysler mini-van. Hopefully, the customer learns their lesson

and
never goes back. And no self respecting Large Plant (dahlia, tomato)

will
last long in such a cage. Finally, the fastening method you used had
absolutely ZERO reasons to be successful.

Live and learn. In the past I just let them sprawl. They did fine, but

it
was messy. I was thinking about the wire fence method that you mentioned.
I'm sure it would be far superior to the tomato cage. The biggest problem
wasn't that the cages fell over, but that they weren't tall enough.

The rolls of fence wire come in 4', 5' and 6' heights. I use 5' for
tomatoes. I haven't grown big dahlias in years, so I don't recall how huge
they get.

Old 02-08-2004, 02:58 PM
Vox Humana

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

[...]

Mine were at 6 feet when they were blown over.

Old 02-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Doug Kanter

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

[...]

Holy smokes! Were the flower stems nice & straight? If so, maybe you should
be supplying local florists. :-)

Old 02-08-2004, 04:56 PM
Bill R

Doug Kanter wrote:

The rolls of fence wire come in 4', 5' and 6' heights. I use 5' for
tomatoes. I haven't grown big dahlias in years, so I don't recall how huge
they get.

Dahlias can get quite tall. I have quite a few that are
over six foot (they are the "dinner plate" varieties) and
they are still growing. They usually have blooms that are
in the 7 to 10 inch range and are really beautiful. Some of
mine are visible from the street and people that see them
often ask "are they real?" because they have never seen such
large flowers before.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850