Old 02-08-2004, 04:56 PM
Bill R

Default Dahlia disaster!

Doug Kanter wrote:

The rolls of fence wire come in 4', 5' and 6' heights. I use 5' for
tomatoes. I haven't grown big dahlias in years, so I don't recall how huge
they get.

Dahlias can get quite tall. I have quite a few that are
over six foot (they are the "dinner plate" varieties) and
they are still growing. They usually have blooms that are
in the 7 to 10 inch range and are really beautiful. Some of
mine are visible from the street and people that see them
often ask "are they real?" because they have never seen such
large flowers before.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850

For pictures of my garden flowers visit
http://members.iglou.com/brosen

Old 02-08-2004, 05:01 PM
Doug Kanter

"Bill R" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

The rolls of fence wire come in 4', 5' and 6' heights. I use 5' for
tomatoes. I haven't grown big dahlias in years, so I don't recall how

huge
they get.

Dahlias can get quite tall. I have quite a few that are
over six foot (they are the "dinner plate" varieties) and
they are still growing. They usually have blooms that are
in the 7 to 10 inch range and are really beautiful. Some of
mine are visible from the street and people that see them
often ask "are they real?" because they have never seen such
large flowers before.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

This goes on the list for next spring, then. I like flowers that amaze or
frighten. Closing on a new house next week, and I'm going to plant EVERY
damned thing.

Old 02-08-2004, 05:43 PM
Vox Humana

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Bill R" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

The rolls of fence wire come in 4', 5' and 6' heights. I use 5' for
tomatoes. I haven't grown big dahlias in years, so I don't recall how

huge
they get.

Dahlias can get quite tall. I have quite a few that are
over six foot (they are the "dinner plate" varieties) and
they are still growing. They usually have blooms that are
in the 7 to 10 inch range and are really beautiful. Some of
mine are visible from the street and people that see them
often ask "are they real?" because they have never seen such
large flowers before.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

This goes on the list for next spring, then. I like flowers that amaze or
frighten. Closing on a new house next week, and I'm going to plant EVERY
damned thing.

Don't forget the cannas. They can be quite amazing.
Here are a couple of picture from 4 years ago
http://groups.msn.com/laurelridgegar...oto&PhotoID=96

http://groups.msn.com/laurelridgegar...oto&PhotoID=85

Old 02-08-2004, 05:47 PM
Vox Humana

"Bill R" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

The rolls of fence wire come in 4', 5' and 6' heights. I use 5' for
tomatoes. I haven't grown big dahlias in years, so I don't recall how

huge
they get.

Dahlias can get quite tall. I have quite a few that are
over six foot (they are the "dinner plate" varieties) and
they are still growing. They usually have blooms that are
in the 7 to 10 inch range and are really beautiful. Some of
mine are visible from the street and people that see them
often ask "are they real?" because they have never seen such
large flowers before.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

I looked at your website and I have three of the same dahlias that you are
showing. At the end of the season last year I had a large cake to make for
a function. I used the red and white dahlias to decorate the top.

Old 02-08-2004, 06:01 PM
Doug Kanter

"Bill R" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:

[...]

Yeah...I have some cannas that I've been caring for, even while in an
apartment. They're 10 years old, and required 8 million dollars worth of big
pots and soil, but well worth it.

Old 02-08-2004, 06:20 PM
Vox Humana

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

Yeah...I have some cannas that I've been caring for, even while in an
apartment. They're 10 years old, and required 8 million dollars worth of

big
pots and soil, but well worth it.

I had some left and no place to plant them so I put them in huge pots. My
deck got so overgrown with stuff that I had to move one of the pots last
week. That was job! Now I have two brugmansias that are taking over. They
started three years ago as six inch plants in tiny pots. Now they are
approaching 6 feet and are sprawling. I had to repot them a couple of
weeks. I hope I can move them inside this winter. Each pot took 60 pounds
of potting soil -- before adding the 6 foot tall plant with its already
heavy rootball. One is putting on its first really spectacular display of
flower. They have only had a boom here and there. Now one of them is
covered with flowers and in the evening you can smell it for a considerable
distance. In the winter I have several 20 gal. pots of bananas, the brugs,
and a madevilla to bring in along with boxes of cannas and some dahlias.

Old 02-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Vox Humana

"Vox Humana" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
The sale of those those tomato cages is aimed at the same type of

person
who
buys a Chrysler mini-van. Hopefully, the customer learns their

lesson
and
never goes back. And no self respecting Large Plant (dahlia,

tomato)
will
last long in such a cage. Finally, the fastening method you used

had
absolutely ZERO reasons to be successful.

Live and learn. In the past I just let them sprawl. They did fine,

but
it
was messy. I was thinking about the wire fence method that you

mentioned.
I'm sure it would be far superior to the tomato cage. The biggest

problem
wasn't that the cages fell over, but that they weren't tall enough.

The rolls of fence wire come in 4', 5' and 6' heights. I use 5' for
tomatoes. I haven't grown big dahlias in years, so I don't recall how

huge
they get.

Mine were at 6 feet when they were blown over.

Holy smokes! Were the flower stems nice & straight? If so, maybe you

should
be supplying local florists. :-)

I don't have enough to bother with. There is a farmer near by that has a
huge cutting garden where he operates a farm stand. No dahlias, but lots of
other stuff.

Old 02-08-2004, 09:23 PM
Vox Humana

"gregpresley" wrote in message
Depending on how much the flowers were twisted or bent, they might

continue
to live and grow if there is still some "connective tissue" in there. I

have
had delphiniums, foxglove, peonies, and other large flowers with hollow
stems do this, and if I race out and tie them upright with a bamboo stake
and some wire or twine, I have found that often those stems and branches
will go right on living. It's worth a try if your entire display is kaput.
Otherwise, cut the flowers and make a generous donation of beautiful

flowers
to your local church, museum, or other place that could use beautiful

So far I have left them where they fell. The main stocks are sharply
pinched, but everything looks fine. There is no wilting and our
temperatures have been quite hot. I think I will let them sprawl because I
think If I mess with them it will do them in.