Old 18-08-2004, 02:27 AM
Romy Beeck

Default Red Coleus

I got a great deal on a close out on about 32 coleus plants and there
growing just beautifully. But now a have all these beautiful plants and
winter is coming and i'm wondering if there is any way I can save these
plants. I'm here in wisconsin and its gets very cold here. I have all these
plants in pots.Can i put them in the house and water them or let them sit
till next spring. Can anyone help me please?

THANK FOR THE HELP I CAN GET.

Old 18-08-2004, 01:38 PM
madgardener

you can take cuttings of each one and keep them in the waterly jars on a
sunny window sill until spring when you pot them up for the next year.
This is how they are propigated in nurseries a lot of the times. Or you
can spray them totally with a pyrethrum spray under the leaves, on top
and in the top of the soil for a day before you cut them back by half
and put them inside in a southwestern window. Water them well, not
soggy, but don't allow to dry out because they'll sulk and attract mealy
bugs in their stress. They are annuals. Pinch out the flowers, unless
bees have pollinated them, and if so, you might see if they sow seeds to
pop up next year. If you have let them set seeds though, you've
sacrificed the bulk of the plant.
madgardener

Old 18-08-2004, 06:52 PM
Phisherman

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 20:27:12 -0500, "Romy Beeck"
wrote:

I got a great deal on a close out on about 32 coleus plants and there
growing just beautifully. But now a have all these beautiful plants and
winter is coming and i'm wondering if there is any way I can save these
plants. I'm here in wisconsin and its gets very cold here. I have all these
plants in pots.Can i put them in the house and water them or let them sit
till next spring. Can anyone help me please?

THANK FOR THE HELP I CAN GET.

I grow coleus every year. One of the original cuttings was from my
6th grade school teacher. I grow coleus in pots and in flower beds,
shade and full sun. The same coleus can look like a completely
different plant in various conditions. You can bring them indoors,
but they will eventually look weak and tired. I take cuttings from my
coleus and grow them in water containers in front of the basement
window. Then, in January I take cuttings from those grown in water,
and root them in vermiculite. They root in 2 weeks. Coleus quickly
die at the first frost, so you want to take cuttings as soon as night
temperatures get down to the 30's.
Old 19-08-2004, 12:25 AM
Françoise

Romy,

I tried to keep coleus in the house during winter. They survived but got
leggy. What I do now is, starting in a week, I let the flowers grow and
gather the seeds. I have lots of success with these seeds. I separate
seeds by types and colour. I plant the seed indoor in winter. This year
I have new one they are almost bright red all over. They are called
volcano. They are a bit shorter than the other ones, which can get
taller than 2 feet.

Françoise.

Romy Beeck wrote:

I got a great deal on a close out on about 32 coleus plants and
thereI have all these plants in pots.Can i put them in the house and

Old 19-08-2004, 05:03 AM
Lee

You did luck out! Last month I needed some color to fill in an area
and had already spent my allowance : ) and could't afford a bunch of
plants so bought 2 tall rangy Coleus , and disected G them and ended
up with 8 nice cuttings and already they have served their purpose. I
just stuck them in some potting soil and put them in a protected open
shade area of the patio and they did't even wilt. I did try a new
idea, though. i had 4 6 inch potts so i made two pockets with
construction cloth in each, filled with the soil and put the cuttings
in each pocket, so when i was ready to plant them they were easy to
take out, unrap and the tender roots were not disturbed.
I will probably take cuttings and overwinter them in the garage, but
may be simpler to wait till spring and get a couple plants and do same
as above.
leo

Old 21-08-2004, 02:08 PM
Allview

Thanks for reminding me. I should go out and take some cuttings for the house.
They are not only beautiful but they remind me to water all the house plants
because they will be the first to start to droop if not watered.

I have a rhododendron and azalea garden at the back of my lot. It's beautiful
in the spring but boring green in the summer. Coleus at the front edge provide
gorgeous color all summer. The bright red ones and the chartreuse (sp?) ones
really stand out.

Marilyn in Ohio
Old 21-08-2004, 02:24 PM
GrampysGurl

I have a rhododendron and azalea garden at the back of my lot. It's
beautiful
in the spring but boring green in the summer. Coleus at the front edge
provide
gorgeous color all summer. The bright red ones and the chartreuse (sp?) ones
really stand out.

Marilyn in Ohio

I moved from a mostly son to a mostly partly shaded lot and will be usinf
coleus next year for color along with impatens... Why I didn't think of it this
year is beyond me, I have always been very fond of coleus plants. In the old
yard they just didn't thrive, I know coleus can take a fair bit of sun but it
was way to much for them there and they just shriveled and died or they faded
to very bleached out colors (
Colleen
Zone 5 CT
Old 21-08-2004, 04:07 PM
Tom Randy

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 13:24:29 +0000, GrampysGurl wrote:

I moved from a mostly son to a mostly partly shaded lot and will be usinf
coleus next year for color along with impatens... Why I didn't think of it this
year is beyond me, I have always been very fond of coleus plants. In the old
yard they just didn't thrive, I know coleus can take a fair bit of sun but it
was way to much for them there and they just shriveled and died or they faded
to very bleached out colors (
Colleen
Zone 5 CT

There are varieties now that can take full Sun and look spectacular! Do a
Google search on Coleus and happy reading!

I LOVE Coleus!

Tom

Old 22-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Allview

I moved from a mostly son to a mostly partly shaded lot and will be usinf
coleus next year for color along with impatens... Why I didn't think of it
this
year is beyond me,

Try some caladiums too.

Marilyn