Old 13-02-2005, 08:59 PM
woodcocs

Default broken pampas fronds

I have 3 pampas in my garden and this year 2 produced the feather
fronds for the first time. Unfortunately high winds have broken them
all. What should I do with the broken fronds - cut them back as low as
I can, leave them or cut off just the tips. Any advice on what to do
and when?

Old 13-02-2005, 09:25 PM
Roy

After the feather come sout on that stem that stem is not going top
produce anything new again so its best to cut it off as close as
possible to the base, so you do not add more and more mass to the base
overall. All it will do is rot and fall down in the middle portion.

On 13 Feb 2005 12:59:19 -0800, "woodcocs"
wrote:

===I have 3 pampas in my garden and this year 2 produced the feather
===fronds for the first time. Unfortunately high winds have broken them
===all. What should I do with the broken fronds - cut them back as low as
===I can, leave them or cut off just the tips. Any advice on what to do
===and when?

REMEMBER: "This is worth repeating for benefit of al newbies!
Jo Ann asked Dr. Solo to remind people that while she has retired from selling GF (and sold
the business to Ken Fischer http://dandyorandas.com/) she has NOT retired from
helping people with sick GF and koi FOR FREE. 251-649-4790 phoning is best for
diagnosis. but, can try email put "help sick fish" in subject. Get your fish at Dandy Orandas
Dandy Orandas Dandy Orandas........you guys got that DANDY ORANDAS
Old 14-02-2005, 08:38 AM
gregpresley

You can prune it out if you find it unsightly - eventually it will rot away
anyway. However, if you decide to prune it, wear the thickest shirt material
or jacket you own, and thick gloves. Pampas grass has VERY sharp blades and
will nick your skin in a million places given half a chance.
"woodcocs" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have 3 pampas in my garden and this year 2 produced the feather
fronds for the first time. Unfortunately high winds have broken them
all. What should I do with the broken fronds - cut them back as low as
I can, leave them or cut off just the tips. Any advice on what to do
and when?

[IMG] code is On

Fronds Padraig Garden Photos 0 02-02-2007 06:39 AM
Tree fern fronds are brown? T Dave R United Kingdom 0 17-08-2006 09:19 PM
Fronds turning brown! Cyathea cooperi (Australian Tree Fern) Steve Lipson Gardening 1 08-05-2003 04:08 PM
Palm tree fronds turning yellow. Frank Martin Plant Science 3 26-04-2003 01:31 PM
Palm tree fronds turning yellow. Frank Martin Plant Science 2 19-03-2003 08:56 PM