Old 17-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Boots

Default Garden Hose

I am looking for suggestions on a garden hose that will not
kink every time you look at it. And also not one that is too
heavy to pull around as my wife and I are 70. Thanks

Old 17-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Bert

Boots wrote:
I am looking for suggestions on a garden hose that will not
kink every time you look at it. And also not one that is too
heavy to pull around as my wife and I are 70. Thanks

Rubber hoses are the only ones that won't kink easily, but they are
also the heaviest type.

Bert

Old 17-03-2005, 07:50 PM
Warren

Boots wrote:
I am looking for suggestions on a garden hose that will not
kink every time you look at it. And also not one that is too
heavy to pull around as my wife and I are 70. Thanks

If you're looking for a 5/8", or 3/4", or even 1/2" hose of any length, the
design features that help prevent kinking will be the same things that add
weight to the hose.

If you're looking for something light, and up to about 50', you may want to
consider a coiled hose. They're very light because they're usually only 1/4" or
3/8", and they resist kinking because you (theoretically) never pull them
straight. Just make sure you store them by allowing them to spring back. If you
coil them on top of themselves, the coils will get tangled, and that may be more
frustration than a kinked regular hose.

This, of course, won't work well if you're talking about great lengths, nor
would it work well if you're keeping the hose in place for some time like with a
lawn sprinkler. They're a tripping hazard for people crossing their path, so
they should only be used actively with someone there.

If you need a longer hose, how you store it may be the key to avoiding kinks. An
automatic hose reel, for example, would be better than just coiling the hose in
a pile.

--
Warren H.

==========
to go outside now.
Your Guide to the Care and Feeding of a Suburban Lawn:
http://www.holzemville.com/community...are/index.html

Old 17-03-2005, 07:52 PM
Ron

Boots wrote:
I am looking for suggestions on a garden hose that will not
kink every time you look at it. And also not one that is too
heavy to pull around as my wife and I are 70. Thanks

How about the coiled type,looks like a slinky.
we have one off the patio and it works ok.
Old 18-03-2005, 04:18 PM
Hal

On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:16:56 -0600, "Boots" wrote:

I am looking for suggestions on a garden hose that will not
kink every time you look at it. And also not one that is too
heavy to pull around as my wife and I are 70. Thanks

I'm a young 69, but my wife found a Melnor hose reel that is light and
has a flat hose that is pretty light and is 70' extended. The reel
case and handle are in the middle of the hose when it is extended.
It is light the water flow is slower and it leaks at the hose end
fittings, but it is easier to handle.

My kinking problem comes from turning the same direction many times
going through the various flower beds watering. I simply have to
twist the hose to get it straight again. I use a 3/4" hose that is
heavier with a stripe down the hose that helps me keep it fairly
straight. I prefer the larger hose because of the greater water
volume and have a hose reel attached to the house near the outside
hose bib. That is on the short end of the house where a straight
pull of the hose isn't possible, so I have hose guides. One guide
directly in front of the reel that allows me to pull the hose in a
direction adjacent to the reel and others to make turns as needed.
The hose guides makes dragging hose a lot easier. I must admit I
don't keep mine perfectly straight either and do have an occasional
kink.

Regards,

Hal

Old 18-03-2005, 07:20 PM
Richard Cline

In article ,
Hal wrote:

I have a 3/4" rubber hose that I have been using for 22 years (I got is
used). It still is in good shape. The hose doesn't kink. It is a
little heavy but I do not find that objectionable. I am 70 years old.

Dick

Old 18-03-2005, 11:10 PM
paghat

In article , Richard Cline
wrote:

In article ,
Hal wrote:

I have a 3/4" rubber hose that I have been using for 22 years (I got is
used). It still is in good shape. The hose doesn't kink. It is a
little heavy but I do not find that objectionable. I am 70 years old.

Dick

Those life-time garden hoses are getting harder & harder to find because
not standard stock anywhere but Sears. The majority of hose manufacturers
make either cheap vinyl hoses or "premium" vinyl hoses with radial
reinforcement; neither type of hose is worth diddly-squat. Hoses labeled
"heavy duty" aren't. An alleged high-end hose in a manufacturer's line has
metal ends rather than breakable hard-plastic & otherwise it can turn out
to be the same cheap vinyl hose. Teknor sells a composite hose that is so
stiff as to be almost useless in the garden. They advertise it as the
state of the art for non-kink hoses, but they guarantee it only ten years
-- ten painful years of trying to get it to bend around corners.

The real deal is made of a high-grade rubber rather. In just about any
department store big or small you can usually find short pieces of it sold
as "hot water" hoses or the like, but practical lengths for the garden are
missing. Sears Craftsman makes an all-rubber hose which is the only one
widely available (Craftman also makes vinyl hoses so the brand doesn't
guarantee the best). It's been years since I've seen an all-rubber hose
offered elsewhere but Sears, some companies just stopped making them. Yet
they will put packaging on the hoses with phrase like "all rubber vinyl
hose" to fool folks -- sounds like "all-natural artificial flavors."

Some gardening articles recommend checking the DPI on the hose to assess
its worth, but the vast majority of hoses don't state anywhere on the hose
or the packaging what the DPI might be, & if you ask the average customer
service guy or gal for the DPI info on the hoses they sell, they'll think
you're talking in Hungarian or Chinese.

Most people are looking for the short-term bargain, so most stores won't
waste shelf space with the best products, which would have to be priced
higher than all the surrounding products so would be slow to sell. Stores
don't want to stock the high-end item for the one customer in a thousand;
they want to sell lots of product fast, & that means focus on cropola. My
search for a quality sprayer turned into a Knight's Quest. I finally got
one from Italy -- quality metal cannister sprayers are no longer
manufactured anywhere in the United States, & none even have metal
connecting parts, not even the Craftsman which is the least awful but not
nearly good enough. If I had my grampa's sprayer I bet that'd still be
working fine.

-paghat the ratgirl
--
Get your Paghat the Ratgirl T-Shirt he
http://www.paghat.com/giftshop.html
Old 18-03-2005, 11:55 PM
Travis

paghat wrote:
In article ,
Richard Cline wrote:

In article ,
Hal wrote:

I have a 3/4" rubber hose that I have been using for 22 years (I
got is used). It still is in good shape. The hose doesn't kink.
It is a little heavy but I do not find that objectionable. I am
70 years old.

Dick

Some gardening articles recommend checking the DPI on the hose to
assess its worth, but the vast majority of hoses don't state
anywhere on the hose or the packaging what the DPI might be, & if
you ask the average customer service guy or gal for the DPI info on
the hoses they sell, they'll think you're talking in Hungarian or
Chinese.

What is DPI?

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5
Old 19-03-2005, 12:42 AM
paghat

In article pTJ_d.4269$uw6.1778@trnddc06, "Travis"
wrote:

paghat wrote:
In article ,
Richard Cline wrote:

In article ,
Hal wrote:

I have a 3/4" rubber hose that I have been using for 22 years (I
got is used). It still is in good shape. The hose doesn't kink.
It is a little heavy but I do not find that objectionable. I am
70 years old.

Dick

Some gardening articles recommend checking the DPI on the hose to
assess its worth, but the vast majority of hoses don't state
anywhere on the hose or the packaging what the DPI might be, & if
you ask the average customer service guy or gal for the DPI info on
the hoses they sell, they'll think you're talking in Hungarian or
Chinese.

What is DPI?

Should be PSI, pounds per square inch capacity. DPI applies to Photoshop
which I was using all morning. A hose that has a high PSI number will
likely never burst under water pressure. Cheap hoses at 100 or 150 PSI
could easily burst if the fawcett was turned on all the way. So
manufactuers like to leave that information off the packaging making it
impossible to judge the strength, though we can assume if they won't
reveal it it's insufficient.

-paggers
Old 19-03-2005, 01:14 AM

Put a pressure reducer on the line, inexpensive ones for RV water
systems and for Drip irrigation will drop the pressure and make them
hoses last a long time.
They are available from the red army at sprawl mart
You want a real rubber hose, the rest are just annoying. Expect to pay
60$ or more.

Old 19-03-2005, 01:35 AM
Warren

paghat wrote:
Should be PSI, pounds per square inch capacity. DPI applies to Photoshop
which I was using all morning. A hose that has a high PSI number will
likely never burst under water pressure. Cheap hoses at 100 or 150 PSI
could easily burst if the fawcett was turned on all the way. So
manufactuers like to leave that information off the packaging making it
impossible to judge the strength, though we can assume if they won't
reveal it it's insufficient.

Holy cow! If you've got that kind of pressure, then somebody left off a pressure
regulator on your line. Typical residential water pressure is only about 60 psi.
Higher pressures are either reduced before the meter, or a special commercial
meter would need to be installed.

--
Warren H.

==========

Old 19-03-2005, 03:44 AM
paghat

In article , "Warren"
wrote:

paghat wrote:
Should be PSI, pounds per square inch capacity. DPI applies to Photoshop
which I was using all morning. A hose that has a high PSI number will
likely never burst under water pressure. Cheap hoses at 100 or 150 PSI
could easily burst if the fawcett was turned on all the way. So
manufactuers like to leave that information off the packaging making it
impossible to judge the strength, though we can assume if they won't
reveal it it's insufficient.

Holy cow! If you've got that kind of pressure, then somebody left off a

pressure
regulator on your line. Typical residential water pressure is only about

60 psi.
Higher pressures are either reduced before the meter, or a special commercial
meter would need to be installed.

Residential water is frequently 100 psi, but a hose that claims it will
not rupture until it reaches 150 to 200 psi will probably burst its second
year at a much, much lower psi because weakend by normal usage, UV
exposure, heat, & cold. It might spring a leak even if it's hardly ever
used. Worse, drip irrigation hoses from places like Lowes & Home Depot
will burst at 30 or 40 psi & some of them could only be safely used at 10
or 20 psi which is pretty hard to sustain without a pressure regulator, &
even a hilltop house with the world's worst water pressure will eventually
bust those hoses, a real nuisance if someone has gone to the wasted bother
to bury a couple hundred feet of the stuff & it keeps rupturing even at
low psi, even with a pressure regulator.

Just about everyone who has bought such things at Home Depot or Lowes
knows what it's like to bust a hose even on its first day of use with
pressure from an average outdoor spigot of 50 to 100 psi. When you want a
hose to last for life the psi rupture rating will be in the hundreds & it
can even be hooked up to a pressure pump for washing the house or sidewalk
-- with normal use it'll still be intact thirty or fifty years later, but
no vinyl hose ever will last that long.

The real stinky thing is a bad hose can be rated 150 psi which will mean
its rupture point not its safety point, & it is really only useable at
half that psi or less. The Craftsman all-rubber hose is rated 165 psi, but
that is for actual continuous use; it has a separate rupture rating which
is 500 psi. That's what's needed when we're talking "the last hose you
will ever have to buy." Nothing less will last.

-paghat the ratgirl
Old 19-03-2005, 08:08 AM
Travis

paghat wrote:
In article pTJ_d.4269$uw6.1778@trnddc06, "Travis"
wrote:

paghat wrote:
In article ,
Richard Cline wrote:

In article ,
Hal wrote:

[...]

I C. When we had the house replumbed (is that a word) a couple of years
ago the plumbers put in a pressure regulator according to code. I think
it is set for 60 psi so we would never have more in the house.

USDA Zone 8b
Sunset Zone 5

Old 19-03-2005, 03:04 PM

what I have been doing is laying hose permanently to far areas and then putting Y
splitters at various places and attach short lengths of hose for watering. I even
buried short runs of hose under grass. the rest I toss some mulch over the hoses to
cover them up. black hose doesnt show up like green. Ingrid

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://list.lovemyoldhome.com/puregold/
WEBSITE AT: http://www.mu.edu/~buxtoni/puregold/home.html
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE