Old 10-05-2005, 10:37 PM
Leon Trollski

Default Bulb Naturalization in Lawns

If mass plantings are done the way I read, the turf should be peeled back
and bulbs planted underneath. It seems hard to believe a bulb can push
through the turf like that!! Any experiences here?

Old 11-05-2005, 12:30 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon Trollski
If mass plantings are done the way I read, the turf should be peeled back
and bulbs planted underneath. It seems hard to believe a bulb can push
through the turf like that!! Any experiences here?
Look around in any park with naturalised bulbs growing in grassy areas. They don't seem to have any problems coming up year after year.
__________________
Ornata, gardening in South London, UK
Old 11-05-2005, 01:21 PM
Doug Kanter

"Leon Trollski" wrote in message
If mass plantings are done the way I read, the turf should be peeled back
and bulbs planted underneath. It seems hard to believe a bulb can push
through the turf like that!! Any experiences here?

I moved into my house last September and began mowing as normal. I only
found out this year that I had about 100 daffodils in a certain area of the
lawn. They certainly do punch through the turf. As far as peeling back the
turf for a new planting....hmmm. I guess it depends on how big an area and
how many bulbs, as well as what kinds of resources (tools, money) you have
available. If I were planting bulbs under grass, I think I'd utilize two
people. One with a long bulb planter (the cylindrical cutter with a long
handle), and the other person doing the planting and replacing the plugs of
grass.

Old 11-05-2005, 05:45 PM
Leon Trollski

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

[...]

thanks. I read the planter method is ok for small numbers, but every book I
checked says the turf peeling is best for large numbers.

There are no examples I can examine in my city whatsoever. I think if I try
it will be with something small and understated like Scilla.

Old 11-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Doug Kanter

[...]

I have no idea how many bulbs you're considering, over how big an area, so I
really cannot respond. But, how do you peel a large area of turf? Hire a
landscaper with a machine?

Old 12-05-2005, 02:02 AM
Leon Trollski

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news

I have no idea how many bulbs you're considering, over how big an area, so

really cannot respond. But, how do you peel a large area of turf? Hire a
landscaper with a machine?

Cut a three sided square with an edging tool, and peel back.

Old 12-05-2005, 07:52 AM
presley

I've had better success with some bulbs naturalizing in lawns than others.
Crocus seems to come back pretty reliably. I had chionodoxa for 3 years, but
each year it got less and less vigorous and finally died out. Tulips will
come back IF the foliage is not mowed before late May. Obviously, if you
want a neat looking lawn, only the very earliest bulbs will naturalize in
them, because the rule of thumb is that a bulb must keep its foliage for at
least 6 weeks after blooming in order to store enough food to bloom the
following year. A bulb that blooms in February will have a better chance
than a bulb that blooms at the end of April of the beginning of May, because
the lawn will look like a wild pasture if left unmowed until early June.

--
Ornata

Old 12-05-2005, 02:27 PM
Doug Kanter

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news

I have no idea how many bulbs you're considering, over how big an area,
so

really cannot respond. But, how do you peel a large area of turf? Hire a
landscaper with a machine?

Cut a three sided square with an edging tool, and peel back.

I know how to do that. But, the OP still hasn't told us how big an area he's
talking about. I can't imagine manually peeling back a 100x100 foot area.
:-)

Old 12-05-2005, 04:10 PM
Leon Trollski

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Leon Trollski" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news

I have no idea how many bulbs you're considering, over how big an area,
so

really cannot respond. But, how do you peel a large area of turf? Hire

landscaper with a machine?

Cut a three sided square with an edging tool, and peel back.

I know how to do that. But, the OP still hasn't told us how big an area

he's
talking about. I can't imagine manually peeling back a 100x100 foot area.
:-)

Not by hand!! But if that's the project, I'd hire the pros!

Old 12-05-2005, 05:01 PM
Doug Kanter

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message

"Leon Trollski" wrote in message

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news

I have no idea how many bulbs you're considering, over how big an
area,
so
really cannot respond. But, how do you peel a large area of turf? Hire

landscaper with a machine?

Cut a three sided square with an edging tool, and peel back.

I know how to do that. But, the OP still hasn't told us how big an area

he's
talking about. I can't imagine manually peeling back a 100x100 foot area.
:-)

Not by hand!! But if that's the project, I'd hire the pros!

I'd use something like a grapefruit spoon. It's got those little serrations
at the business end.

Old 12-05-2005, 06:29 PM
Doug Kanter

"Janet Price" wrote in message
Leon Trollski wrote:
If mass plantings are done the way I read, the turf should be peeled back
and bulbs planted underneath. It seems hard to believe a bulb can push
through the turf like that!! Any experiences here?

I plant small stuff by angling a spade into the lawn and sort of bending
it up, then pop a few tiny bulbs in and stomp down. Have done crocus and
bluets--small nodding deep blue flowers, not sure what they're really
called--this way in a couple places I've lived. Simple and works just
fine. I have daffs in one place in the lawn in my current house from
previous owners. Greens come up and no flowers for five years now.

After the greens come up, how long are you waiting before you mow them? And,
are you applying high nitrogen fertilizer to the lawn?

Old 12-05-2005, 07:03 PM
KD

Leon Trollski wrote:
[...]

I have this problem too. I have about ten or twelve little bunches
where only greenery came out. I ended up with two dafs in total, very
disappointing. The first year they all came up fine, we're now in year
two. We didn't mow them down until late summer/early fall.

KD

Old 12-05-2005, 07:26 PM
Doug Kanter

"KD" wrote in message
oups.com...

Leon Trollski wrote:
[...]

Hmmm....don't know what's up with that. But, bulbs like a different balance
of nutrients than grass. How about picking up a soil test kit and seeing if
things are all out of whack?

Old 13-05-2005, 02:14 PM
Leon Trollski

"presley" wrote in message
I've had better success with some bulbs naturalizing in lawns than others.
Crocus seems to come back pretty reliably. I had chionodoxa for 3 years,

but
each year it got less and less vigorous and finally died out. Tulips will
come back IF the foliage is not mowed before late May. Obviously, if you
want a neat looking lawn, only the very earliest bulbs will naturalize in
them, because the rule of thumb is that a bulb must keep its foliage for

at
least 6 weeks after blooming in order to store enough food to bloom the
following year. A bulb that blooms in February will have a better chance
than a bulb that blooms at the end of April of the beginning of May,

because
the lawn will look like a wild pasture if left unmowed until early June.
"Ornata" wrote in message

If I can convince She Who Must Be Obeyed, I'm gonna try chionodoxa, scilla,
pushkinia, and muscari.

[IMG] code is On

From BULB to SEED and back to BULB JandK23 Lawns 0 29-04-2005 03:06 PM
Lawns & God Bruce Yates Gardening 13 18-06-2003 11:56 PM
Lawns - Mind your own business - and it does [email protected] United Kingdom 2 14-03-2003 08:53 AM
Field Woodrush in Lawns Derek Carver United Kingdom 3 27-01-2003 12:02 PM
Snowdrops in Lawns - especially mine! Tumbleweed United Kingdom 0 16-10-2002 06:51 AM