Old 16-12-2006, 02:18 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Carbuerator Overhaul on a Huskavarna 154 Se

I had developed a severe stall condition especially when you tried to
use high rpm jets. I bought a carb kit and overhauled the carb BUT
lacked the information on settings internally BUT the carb did not look
very complicated. I am a A class Ford Technition and have loads of
experience on lawn tractors with B&S and Tucemseh but really have no
experience with 2 cycle engines and carbs. I am also having trouble
with chain stretch and my chain is only a few months old. BUT top item
is low on power and dogging while cutting thick wood and Misquite. She
alsways seems to need variances on fuel mixture as she is used and it
should not need this one setting should do it. I live in Nm and cut
wood daily with the saw for heat purposes. This saw is a critical tool
for everyday while winter lasts.

Any help is appreciated..

Old 16-12-2006, 01:11 PM
Registered User

Location: Hole in the woods,Florida. USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Tech
I had developed a severe stall condition especially when you tried to
use high rpm jets. I bought a carb kit and overhauled the carb BUT
lacked the information on settings internally BUT the carb did not look
very complicated. I am a A class Ford Technition and have loads of
experience on lawn tractors with B&S and Tucemseh but really have no
experience with 2 cycle engines and carbs. I am also having trouble
with chain stretch and my chain is only a few months old. BUT top item
is low on power and dogging while cutting thick wood and Misquite. She
alsways seems to need variances on fuel mixture as she is used and it
should not need this one setting should do it. I live in Nm and cut
wood daily with the saw for heat purposes. This saw is a critical tool
for everyday while winter lasts.

Any help is appreciated..

There is a small fuel in-let screen inside the carb., This screen gets glazed over from fuel and restricts fuel flow. It is hard to see the glazing so should be sprayed out with carb. & choke spray cleaner. Also the fuel filter should be checked, These little engines must have a free flowing filter with no restriction. Screw the adjusters in all the way then back low speed out one turn, High speed one and a half turn. This is a starting point for fine tuning once started.

As for chain stretch, That is caused in most part from the chain getting in the dirt while cutting. Use a shovel or something to lift the logs little as an inch sliding something under to get it off the ground before cutting. Also if the chain is stretched badly check the sprocket for grooves, Grooves in the sprocket adds to chain stretch also. If there are grooves in the sprocket replace both sprocket and chain as a pair, Never install a new chain on a grooved up sprocket it will only cause the chain to stretch fast like you stated.
__________________
15 yr. Briggs & Stratton Master Service Technician
Kohler Factory Trained
Tecumsea
Honda
Kawasaki
Robin
Onan
Dixie Chopper
Cub Cadet
White Outdoor
Troybuilt
Old 16-12-2006, 02:57 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Hi Restrob, I had that carb completely apart and saw no screen. I
replaced it's needle and arm and diaphram and on the bottom I replaced
the gasket and the floopy type diaphram that opened and closed ports
and saw no sign of a screen. I looked and figured there had to be but
did not see it anywhere and since the overhaul she is somewhat useable
but lacks horse and her performance is lousy and needs twekaing all the
time. I did start at 1 turn each screw for starting point and opened
it from there. Like I said I have overhauled all brands of car carbs
over the years but this timy little carb was new to me and if there is
a screen hidden where is it ??

--
restrorob

Old 17-12-2006, 01:14 AM
Registered User

Location: Hole in the woods,Florida. USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Tech
Hi Restrob, I had that carb completely apart and saw no screen. I
replaced it's needle and arm and diaphram and on the bottom I replaced
the gasket and the floopy type diaphram that opened and closed ports
and saw no sign of a screen. I looked and figured there had to be but
did not see it anywhere and since the overhaul she is somewhat useable
but lacks horse and her performance is lousy and needs twekaing all the
time. I did start at 1 turn each screw for starting point and opened
it from there. Like I said I have overhauled all brands of car carbs
over the years but this timy little carb was new to me and if there is
a screen hidden where is it ??

Hmmm,
It should have been located under the diaphragm above the fuel inlet needle (which is located in the center of the carb. body).

Can you post the brand carb. and the number stamped in it ?

Have you checked the spark arrester screen in the muffler ? These will clog up from the fuel mix restricting exhaust flow and could cause as you describe also.
__________________
Old 18-12-2006, 04:19 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Hi Restrob. Yupper i did and it had partial restriction so I did an
old trick I learned long ago from the 2 cycle guy I worked with and set
the muffler in gasoline and set it afire and it cleared out the partial
restriction to a full flow again. The carb is a Walbro I do not
recollect the number but if it helps here is the link to a carb list
and it is for a 154 SE

Year of production 1984

http://wssemw.arinet.com/Empartweb52...ISAPI52.dll?MF

Here is the number of thre kit
rk22hda walbro carb kit

Old 19-12-2006, 02:12 AM
Registered User

Location: Hole in the woods,Florida. USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auto Tech
Hi Restrob. Yupper i did and it had partial restriction so I did an
old trick I learned long ago from the 2 cycle guy I worked with and set
the muffler in gasoline and set it afire and it cleared out the partial
restriction to a full flow again. The carb is a Walbro I do not
recollect the number but if it helps here is the link to a carb list
and it is for a 154 SE

Year of production 1984

http://wssemw.arinet.com/Empartweb52...ISAPI52.dll?MF

Here is the number of thre kit
rk22hda walbro carb kit

OK, From one Ex Auto Tech to a Present Auto Tech Below is a break-down of your carb. and where the fuel inlet screen would be located, Either the top under the diaphragm or on the bottom under the fuel pump. As I said it is hard to see the lacquer in the screen so spray it out good with carb. & choke cleaner.
Attached Thumbnails
Carbuerator Overhaul on a Huskavarna 154 Se-husky-154-carb..jpg
__________________
Old 25-12-2006, 07:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

if you can tell me the carb make and model you have may be able to
help. if the saw is a few years old,it probably is time for fuel lines
and filter . btw have you checked muffler to see if it or screen is
clogged?

Old 26-12-2006, 02:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Put a new spark plug in also. It fixed the carb adjustment problem I
thought I had in my old saw.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 26-12-2006, 03:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

The Carb is a Walbro, Restrob has been walking me thru some of the
area's where I have been and still am in the dark. I had a schematic
of the carb breakdown and it did not show a metal disc covering a
screen and when I can spare the saw for a day I will once again see
about popping that metal disc and access the screen. As I said to
Restrob she has no guts and needs constant tweaking when I am cutting
wood. She has a new fuel filter in her tank and the hose is not
collapsed it is in great condition. This happened suddenly when I was
cutting sideways she suddenly starved and had no high jets so I rebuilt
the car using a kit.After the rebuild it was better but high was no
where like it was and she was never doggish restrob said it was most
likely the screen which I had not accessed.

Engine overhaul Stan Lawns 6 10-01-2004 11:13 PM
15% Discount for Best Flower Horn at Good Fish Junction - Visit 154 Joo Chiat Road, Singapore 427432 Good Fish Junction - Place of Best Flower Horn Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 20-04-2003 06:09 AM