Old 25-05-2007, 03:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default How long for Roundup to Kill

I'm renovating a 1,000 sf portion of my lawn. I sprayed it with roundup 5
days ago and again yesterday. Both times I used a slightly stronger mix
than recommended. Why a strong mix? I'm trying to kill Bermuda grass before
sodding with zoysia. Bermuda is very persistent and I want to make sure and
kill it. Why two applications? Again, I'm trying to kill Bermuda. Also, a
second application makes it much more likely that everything in the area got
a good squirt of roundup.

Anyway, how long do I need to wait to till the area? Recently, the weather
here (Atlanta) has been warm and very dry. I know the Bermuda is out of
winter dormancy, but it may be drought stressed. Would this impact the "wait
before tilling" time?

Many thanks,

KB

Old 25-05-2007, 04:47 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
I'm renovating a 1,000 sf portion of my lawn. I sprayed it with roundup 5
days ago and again yesterday. Both times I used a slightly stronger mix
than recommended. Why a strong mix? I'm trying to kill Bermuda grass
before sodding with zoysia. Bermuda is very persistent and I want to make
sure and kill it. Why two applications? Again, I'm trying to kill
Bermuda. Also, a second application makes it much more likely that
everything in the area got a good squirt of roundup.

Anyway, how long do I need to wait to till the area? Recently, the
weather here (Atlanta) has been warm and very dry. I know the Bermuda is
out of winter dormancy, but it may be drought stressed. Would this impact
the "wait before tilling" time?

Many thanks,

KB

What is Roundup (TM) designed to kill/eradicate exactly per the label on the
container?
Dave

Old 25-05-2007, 10:33 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Abe Abe is offline

I'm renovating a 1,000 sf portion of my lawn. I sprayed it with roundup 5
days ago and again yesterday. Both times I used a slightly stronger mix
than recommended. Why a strong mix? I'm trying to kill Bermuda grass before
sodding with zoysia. Bermuda is very persistent and I want to make sure and
kill it. Why two applications? Again, I'm trying to kill Bermuda. Also, a
second application makes it much more likely that everything in the area got
a good squirt of roundup.

Anyway, how long do I need to wait to till the area? Recently, the weather
here (Atlanta) has been warm and very dry. I know the Bermuda is out of
winter dormancy, but it may be drought stressed. Would this impact the "wait
before tilling" time?

Up to a week to show effects.

Old 25-05-2007, 06:59 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 25, 4:33 am, Abe wrote:
I'm renovating a 1,000 sf portion of my lawn. I sprayed it with roundup 5
days ago and again yesterday. Both times I used a slightly stronger mix
than recommended. Why a strong mix? I'm trying to kill Bermuda grass before
sodding with zoysia. Bermuda is very persistent and I want to make sure and
kill it. Why two applications? Again, I'm trying to kill Bermuda. Also, a
second application makes it much more likely that everything in the area got
a good squirt of roundup.

Anyway, how long do I need to wait to till the area? Recently, the weather
here (Atlanta) has been warm and very dry. I know the Bermuda is out of
winter dormancy, but it may be drought stressed. Would this impact the "wait
before tilling" time?

Up to a week to show effects.

Two weeks is not unusual. Drought stress "should" speed the process
rather than delay it.

Red

Old 26-05-2007, 05:08 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Dave" wrote in message
news
[...]

Answer: the label is misleading...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup
Dave

Old 27-05-2007, 04:21 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Dave" wrote in message
link.net...
[snip]

What is Roundup (TM) designed to kill/eradicate exactly per the label on
the container?
Dave

Answer: the label is misleading...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup
Dave

Actually, the label is extremely thorough and precise. Instead of using
wikipedia, which is not authoritative, why not use the actual label, which
is 21 pages long and available at
http://www.monsanto.com/monsanto/us_...undup_orig.pdf.
Page 17 gives a list of weeds and application rate --

Regards --

Old 29-05-2007, 04:02 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"JimR" wrote in message
link.net...

"Dave" wrote in message
link.net...
[snip]

What is Roundup (TM) designed to kill/eradicate exactly per the label on
the container?
Dave

Answer: the label is misleading...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roundup
Dave

Actually, the label is extremely thorough and precise. Instead of using
wikipedia, which is not authoritative, why not use the actual label, which
is 21 pages long and available at
http://www.monsanto.com/monsanto/us_...undup_orig.pdf.
Page 17 gives a list of weeds and application rate --

Regards --

Because, as the weblink I provided, Monsanto was prevaricating on some
issues regarding its product. For country folks, they was lieing their
butts off. And, as anything else, its not what they tell you, its what they
don't tell you that bites.
Dave

Old 01-06-2007, 07:52 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"JimR" wrote in message
news

[snip]

The question was:

What is Roundup (TM) designed to kill/eradicate exactly per the label
on the container?

The answer is at:

http://www.monsanto.com/monsanto/us_...undup_orig.pdf.
Page 17 gives a list of weeds and application rate --

Regards --

Kinda reminds me of the picture in my mind of an ostrich with its head in
the sand...
Dave

Old 01-06-2007, 06:08 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Dave wrote:
"JimR" wrote in message
news

[snip]

The question was:

What is Roundup (TM) designed to kill/eradicate exactly per the label
on the container?

The answer is at:

http://www.monsanto.com/monsanto/us_...undup_orig.pdf.
Page 17 gives a list of weeds and application rate --

Regards --

Kinda reminds me of the picture in my mind of an ostrich with its head in
the sand...
Dave

I agree with you. I have years of experience using Roundup and I have
found their claims to be very inaccurate. Two products whose
advertising sucks vs actual results are Roundup and Miracle Grow.

Red

Old 01-06-2007, 09:21 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Red wrote:
Dave wrote:
"JimR" wrote in message
news

[snip]

The question was:

http://www.monsanto.com/monsanto/us_...ro/labels/roun
dup_orig.pdf. Page 17 gives a list of weeds and application rate --

Regards --

Kinda reminds me of the picture in my mind of an ostrich with its head
in the sand...
Dave

I agree with you. I have years of experience using Roundup and I have
found their claims to be very inaccurate. Two products whose
advertising sucks vs actual results are Roundup and Miracle Grow.

Red

Ever try adding scythe to your glyophosphate?
Old 01-06-2007, 10:17 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steveo wrote:

I agree with you. I have years of experience using Roundup and I have
found their claims to be very inaccurate. Two products whose
advertising sucks vs actual results are Roundup and Miracle Grow.

Red

Ever try adding scythe to your glyophosphate?

Not familiar with scythe. A surfactant?

Red

Old 01-06-2007, 10:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Red wrote:
Steveo wrote:

I agree with you. I have years of experience using Roundup and I
have found their claims to be very inaccurate. Two products whose
advertising sucks vs actual results are Roundup and Miracle Grow.

Red

Ever try adding scythe to your glyophosphate?

Not familiar with scythe. A surfactant?

Red

No it's another herbicide that speeds up the kill. Lesco sells the combo
under the name 'razor burn' but you can add it yourself.

http://www.biconet.com/lawn/scythe.html
Old 02-06-2007, 03:26 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Steveo wrote:

Not familiar with scythe. A surfactant?

Red

No it's another herbicide that speeds up the kill. Lesco sells the combo
under the name 'razor burn' but you can add it yourself.

http://www.biconet.com/lawn/scythe.html

"Results visible within minutes." Are they serious? No, I've used
Crossbow (brush killer) mixed with glyophosphate, but the results were
no better or faster than if I'd used either one individually. Think
I'll give scythe a try - thanks for the heads up.

Red

Old 03-06-2007, 02:32 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Red wrote:
Steveo wrote:

Not familiar with scythe. A surfactant?

Red

No it's another herbicide that speeds up the kill. Lesco sells the
combo under the name 'razor burn' but you can add it yourself.

http://www.biconet.com/lawn/scythe.html

"Results visible within minutes." Are they serious? No, I've used
Crossbow (brush killer) mixed with glyophosphate, but the results were
no better or faster than if I'd used either one individually. Think
I'll give scythe a try - thanks for the heads up.

Red

You're welcome.

I wouldn't hold my breath for the 'results in minutes' but it does
accelerate the kill, especially on grass. No reason to add it unless you're
looking for a quick knock down. The glyo generally does the same job by
itself in 10 to 14 days.