Old 03-09-2007, 09:08 PM
Registered User

Lightbulb lawn feed and weed

hey all

was wondering if anyone can advise me on a good weed and feed for autum

regards

matt
Old 03-09-2007, 11:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default lawn feed and weed

--
goober

1. An answer to your question really depends upon your location and the
type of turf which you have.

2. Generally, a weed-and-feed is unnecessary -- it's a victory of marketing
over good practice and amounts to overuse of pesticide. Also, to keep the
"weed" part from damaging the turf, the "feed" part contains a very high
amount of soluble nitrogen, also not the best choice for good turf. If you
have so many weeds you have to weed the entire yard, best to just start
over -- otherwise, spot treat the weeds by themself and use a good lawn
fertilizer suitable for your area.

Your handle suggests you live in the south and may have St. Augustine grass.
Lesco makes several good lawn fertilizers -- pick one with a moderate amount
of nitrogen, most of which is insoluble, and low potassium -- their best is
under the Lesco Professional name.

Old 04-09-2007, 12:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sep 3, 6:05 pm, "JimR" wrote:
"goober" wrote in message

[...]

The other problem with weed 'n' feed is that when you spread it you'll
be adding weed killer to your gardens. It's counter productive at
best.

Peter H

Old 04-09-2007, 12:41 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I know there will be many diffrent opinions to this but here it goes: Fall
is typically the time to seed your lawn, I wouldnt worry about weed and feed
until Spring time.

Old 04-09-2007, 02:01 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

JimR said:

[...]

Your handle suggests you live in the south

To me, it says "chocolate covered peanuts". =P

and may have St. Augustine grass.

Where's /that/ come from, outta "goober"?

[rest snipped]

Never guess, Jim.

Tracing route to 90.197.168.11 I got no replies after:

11 cr0.lcaor.uk.easynet.net (87.87.248.252)

As weird as the net acts sometimes, I doubt that my pings went all the way
to GB, and then back to the bayou.

(I'll give ya that "South Wales" is a /possibility/, but I doubt St.
Augustine will grow there.) =)

--

Eggs

Do cemetery workers prefer the graveyard shift?

Old 04-09-2007, 10:50 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Bob is offline

"goober" wrote in message

hey all

was wondering if anyone can advise me on a good weed and feed for
autum

regards

From all I have read, weed & feed is a terrible product to use.
Primarily because it spreads a herbicide on everything whether
needed or not, and it can damage other plants - even trees.

Frankly, I'd find a different way to handle the weeds and never buy
weed & feed.
Bob-tx

Old 05-09-2007, 12:10 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Peter H wrote:
The other problem with weed 'n' feed is that when you spread it you'll

be adding weed killer to your gardens. It's counter productive at
best.

Peter H

Don't use a broadcast spreader for powder broadleaf weed control. That's
what drop spreaders were made for. (streak-masters)

It's fairly effective if applied correctly. (follow the label closely)
Old 05-09-2007, 11:46 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Eggs Zachtly wrote:
JimR said:

[...]

Your handle suggests you live in the south

To me, it says "chocolate covered peanuts". =P

and may have St. Augustine grass.

Where's /that/ come from, outta "goober"?

[rest snipped]

Never guess, Jim.

Tracing route to 90.197.168.11 I got no replies after:

11 cr0.lcaor.uk.easynet.net (87.87.248.252)

As weird as the net acts sometimes, I doubt that my pings went all
the way to GB, and then back to the bayou.

(I'll give ya that "South Wales" is a /possibility/, but I doubt St.
Augustine will grow there.) =)

Eggs, Now your a detective?
I found London. http://www.logbud.com/visual_trace (nice site)
13458987-RIPE/EASYNET-SKY-EXCHANGES cr0.lcaor.uk.easynet.net
87.87.248.25280.3ms United Kingdom London, City of London Easynet

MMM Goobers........

Clark

Old 06-09-2007, 02:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sep 3, 7:41 pm, "Peter Pan" wrote:
I know there will be many diffrent opinions to this but here it goes: Fall
is typically the time to seed your lawn, I wouldnt worry about weed and feed
until Spring time.

He doesn't say anything about his lawn needing seeding. And even if
it did, you'd seed a lawn full of weeds without dealing with them
first?

Nothing wrong with dealing with weeds in the Fall. Many weeds will
continue to grow into winter and even beyond into next Spring if they
are
not taken care of now.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"JimR" wrote in message

"goober" wrote in message

hey all

was wondering if anyone can advise me on a good weed and feed for
autum

manure and compost. just make sure it's ph balanced and heated.

regards

matt

--
goober

1. An answer to your question really depends upon your location and the
type of turf which you have.

2. Generally, a weed-and-feed is unnecessary

Don't use "weed and feed" if you have any large trees. Follw directions
carefully. If your neighbors have large trees I wouldn't use weed and feed
near their house. But then again I wouldn't use weed and feed. I can't
believe people buy it.

-- it's a victory of marketing
over good practice and amounts to overuse of pesticide. Also, to keep the
"weed" part from damaging the turf, the "feed" part contains a very high
amount of soluble nitrogen, also not the best choice for good turf. If
you have so many weeds you have to weed the entire yard, best to just
start over -- otherwise, spot treat the weeds by themself and use a good
lawn fertilizer suitable for your area.

Your handle suggests you live in the south and may have St. Augustine
grass.

If it's St. A grass you don't need any weed and feed ~ just weed it. the
grass will win.

Lesco makes several good lawn fertilizers -- pick one with a moderate
amount of nitrogen, most of which is insoluble, and low potassium -- their
best is under the Lesco Professional name.

thanks.

i got some milorganite 6-2-0. about 3 weeks ago. worked well after it
watered in. just put down some dillo dirt and it really took off again. the
rain helped. nothin works like good old soil conditioner and some water.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:23 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Bob" wrote in message

"goober" wrote in message

hey all

was wondering if anyone can advise me on a good weed and feed for
autum

regards

From all I have read, weed & feed is a terrible product to use. Primarily
because it spreads a herbicide on everything whether needed or not, and it
can damage other plants - even trees.

Frankly, I'd find a different way to handle the weeds and never buy weed &
feed.
Bob-tx

I'm really glad to see people are starting to wake up to this.

I noticed Scott's has a "all natural" fertilizer too. how funny.

Homedepot and Lowes had 100's of bags of weed and feed in the aisles and I
wonder how many people actually read the instructions before using.

That crap shouldn't be sold here at all. Too many trees.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:40 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Sep 6, 8:05 am, wrote:

Nothing wrong with dealing with weeds in the Fall. Many weeds will
continue to grow into winter and even beyond into next Spring if they
are
not taken care of now.

Very true. The problem weed of my area is henbit. It sprouts in the
fall, winters over, goes wild in the spring, dies early summer, then
repeats in the fall. If you want to control it, October is the best
time with pre-emergence or weed killer just after it sprouts.
Those who think fall applications are unnecessary are not thinking
beyond their own yard. A very common mistake in this forum.

KC

Old 07-09-2007, 10:25 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

KC wrote:

[....]

Very true. The problem weed of my area is henbit. It sprouts in the
fall, winters over, goes wild in the spring, dies early summer, then
repeats in the fall. If you want to control it, October is the best
time with pre-emergence or weed killer just after it sprouts.
Those who think fall applications are unnecessary are not thinking
beyond their own yard. A very common mistake in this forum.

KC

something you said here caught my eye,
"not thinking beyond their own yard"
it's a sad sad truth concerning the self centered need
for satisfying ones own desires.

today in america peoples desire for the lush thick mono
turf type green lawn has produced an environmental hazard
just beginning to unfold and tell it's story. current trends
have the 100' by 100' lawn receiving more herbicides, insecticides
and chemical fertilizers than the typical farmer applies to an
acre of land. further contributing to the unfolding disaster
in the making is how neighborhood lawns are totally unregulated
with regard towards runoff which sends these chemicals directly
into the water supply.

"not thinking beyond their own yard"

here in central NC we are experiencing one heck of an on
going drought. water restrictions have been in place now
for several months and just recently tighter restrictions
went into place allowing for lawns to be watered only one
day a week.

an article appearing in today's N&O presented an excellent
exemplification of peoples selfish stupidity when it comes
to "not thinking beyond their own yard".
http://www.newsobserver.com/weather/...ry/695176.html

ok, stepping down from my portable soapbox for a moment lets
give consideration to the aspects of having a nice lawn while
thinking beyond our own yard. first consideration should be
for shared resources such as water. when a drought such as
the one we are experiencing here in NC severely limits the
amount of water available to the local population, priorities
of importance need to be established. a simple question should
be put forth and that is, how long can you the human continue
without water to sustain your body? which is really more
important, water to drink or water to irrigate a lawn?

I full well realize I'm only a simple country boy, semiliterate,
uneducated and therefore hardly qualified to render an answer to
the above stated question concerning the important uses of water when
it's availability is severely limited. but do consider this, after
you've died from dehydration will you be able to visually appreciate
the lust green well irrigated lawn? duh!

the vast majority of lawn owners are totally unaware of the organic
alternatives available today. they instead waddle into the local big
box store and being the quadruple chin porker beast they are see grub
control product and make the purchase without ever reading the label
or seeing the words Merit or Dylox. even worse is how they'll apply
the product without reading the application instructions contained on
the product labeling. how many times in this very forum have we seen
the question, "how much should I apply" followed by Eggs saying "did
you read the label?" and to further exemplify the disaster in the
making we're expecting a population of quadruple chin porker beast
creatures who can't even feed themselves a correct portion to figure
out how to apply 2.5 pounds of product evenly over 100 square feet
of lawn! get real, it just ain't going to happen...

http://www.milkyspore.com/
Old 08-09-2007, 02:56 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Yea, thanks for the bore-athon Jimmey
go hug a fricken tree already
(you could have just posted a link there big guy)
I just pick the weeds and make a friggen salad with 'em

Clark

Jim wrote:

[....]

Old 09-09-2007, 01:42 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

It was a long post. I usually scan only for the highlights.

I was just thinking how this group had done a 180 for the good then you post
that. Well... that's more like it.

It's like being sprayed in the face with bug spray. :^(

seriously kids, get your pets spayed and neutered

"Clark" wrote in message
Yea, thanks for the bore-athon Jimmey
go hug a fricken tree already
(you could have just posted a link there big guy)
I just pick the weeds and make a friggen salad with 'em

Clark

Jim wrote:

[....]