Old 25-10-2007, 07:32 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Burned Grass with pesticides--what to do next.

Hi,

Every year I use pesticides on my lawn to get rid of weeds and they work
very well. I buy a liquid concentrated formula, than mix it with water and
apply to grass. This year I also used them. Today I realized that in some
places I used them my grass was totally burned, it's gone-there are dry
patches of grass. I was shocked when I saw it-after all, I used the same
pesticide in other places and it did not happen; I also double checked if I
used the proper pesticide (i.e., selective, that kills only weeds, NOT the
grass). I am totally puzzled why it happened. Yes, it was a very dry year,
but still. I almost think that somebody else did it!

Anyway, I'd appreciate if you have any answers as to why this could happen
and also how do I deal with it now-will the grass grow again next year (I
live in Ontario)? Is there any treatment I could apply now or in the
spring? By the way, I don't really want to have a manicured grass-as long
as it's green and weed-free, I'm satisfied!

I appreciate any comments!

Thanks,

Jack

Old 25-10-2007, 10:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jack wrote:
Hi,

Every year I use pesticides on my lawn to get rid of weeds and they
work very well.

If your using Pesticides to get rid of your weeds you've got a weirder life
than I do!!
Maybe you could try an Herbicide next year. ;-)

--
Don't you have Google in your part of the world?

Old 25-10-2007, 11:03 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Clark... wrote:
Jack wrote:
[...]

Herbicide is actually considered a pesticide in professional circles. To
have a pesticide license is to have a license to commercially apply
chemicals to control plants (weeds) and insects. Pests.
Old 25-10-2007, 11:30 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

do_see wrote:

Jack wrote:
Hi,

Every year I use pesticides on my lawn to get rid of weeds and they
work very well.

[....]

Herbicide is actually considered a pesticide in professional circles. To
have a pesticide license is to have a license to commercially apply
chemicals to control plants (weeds) and insects. Pests.

http://ipm.ncsu.edu/pesticidesafety/

do_see, you'd be correct in what you've stated.

http://ipm.ncsu.edu/TopicResults.cfm?topsubID=28

http://ipm.ncsu.edu/urban/horticultu.../contents.html

interesting reading from the people here in NC who run the
certification program.
Old 26-10-2007, 12:22 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jack said:

Hi,

Every year I use pesticides on my lawn to get rid of weeds and they work
very well. I buy a liquid concentrated formula, than mix it with water and
apply to grass. This year I also used them. Today I realized that in some
places I used them my grass was totally burned, it's gone-there are dry
patches of grass. I was shocked when I saw it-after all, I used the same
pesticide in other places and it did not happen; I also double checked if I
used the proper pesticide (i.e., selective, that kills only weeds, NOT the
grass). I am totally puzzled why it happened. Yes, it was a very dry year,
but still. I almost think that somebody else did it!

Does it have a name? What kind of grass do you have? What kind of
undesirables were you trying to eradicate? What concentration, and what
application rate did you use?

Anyway, I'd appreciate if you have any answers as to why this could happen

You haven't given enough, /proper/ information to even begin to make that
guess.

and also how do I deal with it now-

You haven't established what "it" is, apart from "it" being brown.

will the grass grow again next year

Most likely, but that would depend on what you applied, how much you
applied, and what you applied it on.

(I live in Ontario)? Is there any treatment I could apply now or in the
spring?

Again, that depends...

By the way, I don't really want to have a manicured grass-as long
as it's green and weed-free, I'm satisfied!

Well, it sounds like you're halfway there (the weeds are probably gone)!

--

Eggs

If the world was a logical place, men would ride horses sidesaddle.

Old 26-10-2007, 12:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Clark... said:

[...]

If your using Pesticides to get rid of your weeds you've got a weirder life
than I do!!
Maybe you could try an Herbicide next year. ;-)

ummm...

Nah, nevermind. You probably won't get it. =P

[rest snipped]

--

Eggs

DEATH to all fanatics!
Old 26-10-2007, 12:41 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Jack" wrote:
Hi,
I used
the same pesticide in other places and it did not happen; I also double
checked if I used the proper pesticide (i.e., selective, that kills only
weeds, NOT the grass). I am totally puzzled why it happened.

You may have burned the bentgrass in your lawn. It is more susceptible to
herbicide injury than blue or rye or fescue. Just a guess without seeing
it.

It may recover..or not. I've seen it survive roundup applications.
Old 26-10-2007, 12:49 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Lar wrote:
Jack wrote:
[...]

would think that pests attacking the roots or some turf disease could
also be a culprit.

Lar

A coincidence with his herbicide application burn?
Old 26-10-2007, 12:56 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Clark..." wrote:
If your using Pesticides to get rid of your weeds you've got a weirder

life than I do!!
Maybe you could try an Herbicide next year. ;-)

One in the same.. pests are pests be it plants or bugs.
Old 26-10-2007, 01:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Oct 25, 2:32 pm, "Jack" wrote:
[...]

Where abouts in Ontario? I've seen some grub damage around this year.
Have you tried digging into some of those dead patches?

Peter H

Old 26-10-2007, 01:41 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Peter H wrote:

Where abouts in Ontario? I've seen some grub damage around this year.
Have you tried digging into some of those dead patches?

Peter H

Grubs have been on a strong cycle here in N Ohio this fall, a hot/dry
summer over here.
Old 26-10-2007, 12:51 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

wrote:
Clark... wrote:
Jack wrote:
[...]

No wonder I think you guys are weird in this newsgroup, your all skewed up
in here!!!! ;-)
What does "ride the old tractor" mean? going to have sex with the wife?

Clark...

--
Don't you have Google in your part of the world?

Old 26-10-2007, 02:15 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Oct 25, 8:41 pm, Steveo wrote:
Peter H wrote:

Where abouts in Ontario? I've seen some grub damage around this year.
Have you tried digging into some of those dead patches?

Peter H

Grubs have been on a strong cycle here in N Ohio this fall, a hot/dry
summer over here.

Another factor is when did he apply the herbicide? Was it when it
was moderate weather or when it was 90 deg? Herbicide should never be
appied when its hot and the turf is stressed. And we have no info as
to when it was applied vs when the grass appeared dead. If the
seperation was 2 weeks and clearly in the areas that were sprayed,
that would be convincing evidence that the herbicide caused it. On
the other hand, if it was applied in June and the damage is only
apparent now, then the herbicide isn't the cause.

As to whether the grass will come back, no way to answer that
either. If the grass just went brown now, then it may come back.
If it went brown a month ago, there has been reasonable amount of
water since, and there is no sign of green new growth in the area,
then it's kaput. And likely too late now to re-seed this late in
Canada. Wait till Spring.