Old 09-04-2008, 02:45 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Washing Mower Deck ?

Hello
I have a Cub Cadet 1527 Mower Tractor with a 42 in. deck , have had the
usual problem with grass sticking to the underside of the deck and the
damage that goes with this problem , I had the deck sand-blasted a year ago
and painted it with a special very tough paint that I got from Summit Racing
, I ran a hose under the deck with the mower running and it really cleaned
the fresh grass off the deck , took the deck off last fall for maint. and it
looks very good , have heard all kind of ways to wash a deck , wonder if
anybody has added a fitting to the deck or buried a right angle hose in the
ground to spray up , getting down on the ground with a water hose isn't the
best .
Thanks
Phil L.

Old 09-04-2008, 09:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

on 4/9/2008 9:45 AM Phil said the following:
Hello
I have a Cub Cadet 1527 Mower Tractor with a 42 in. deck , have had the
usual problem with grass sticking to the underside of the deck and the
damage that goes with this problem , I had the deck sand-blasted a year ago
and painted it with a special very tough paint that I got from Summit Racing
, I ran a hose under the deck with the mower running and it really cleaned
the fresh grass off the deck , took the deck off last fall for maint. and it
looks very good , have heard all kind of ways to wash a deck , wonder if
anybody has added a fitting to the deck or buried a right angle hose in the
ground to spray up , getting down on the ground with a water hose isn't the
best .
Thanks
Phil L.

Is there any way to jack up, or hoist up the tractor?
I don't have that problem with my tractor, since the deck is pulled off
in the late Fall to attach the snow blower, so the deck gets cleaned and
the blades sharpened..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 09-04-2008, 11:38 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Yes it is possible to do that but I wash every time I use it , by the time
fall comes it's too late and the damage has been done , I spray every time
and then run the mower wide open for a couple of minutes and then park it in
the sun , this works best for me .
Thanks
Phil
m...

Old 10-04-2008, 04:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Phil" wrote in message
Hello
I have a Cub Cadet 1527 Mower Tractor with a 42 in. deck , have had the
usual problem with grass sticking to the underside of the deck and the
damage that goes with this problem , I had the deck sand-blasted a year
ago and painted it with a special very tough paint that I got from Summit
Racing , I ran a hose under the deck with the mower running and it really
cleaned the fresh grass off the deck , took the deck off last fall for
maint. and it looks very good , have heard all kind of ways to wash a deck
, wonder if anybody has added a fitting to the deck or buried a right
angle hose in the ground to spray up , getting down on the ground with a
water hose isn't the best .
Thanks
Phil L.

My Troybilt has an add-on fitting to do what exactly you're talking about.
Has quick disconnect fitting. Another add-on is a hose adapter that fits
that quick disconnect. Don't cost alot. Perhaps could be adapted to yours?

Add-on parts for Troybilts are sometimes available on shelf at Lowes. Or,
mtdonline.com.
--
Dave

Old 10-04-2008, 07:18 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I have a shallow creek with a rock bottom so I just drive in to about 3
inches deep and turn on the blades. Works GREAT. I guess everyone can't
do that though.

From Mel & Donnie in Bluebird Valley

Old 11-04-2008, 11:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Bob Bob is offline

"Phil" wrote in message
Hello
I have a Cub Cadet 1527 Mower Tractor with a 42 in. deck , have
had the usual problem with grass sticking to the underside of the
deck and the damage that goes with this problem , I had the deck
sand-blasted a year ago and painted it with a special very tough
paint that I got from Summit Racing , I ran a hose under the deck
with the mower running and it really cleaned the fresh grass off
the deck , took the deck off last fall for maint. and it looks
very good , have heard all kind of ways to wash a deck , wonder if
anybody has added a fitting to the deck or buried a right angle
hose in the ground to spray up , getting down on the ground with a
water hose isn't the best .
Thanks
Phil L.

I bought a 50 inch Cub Cadet last year and it has quick disconnect
fitting on it just for that purpose. There is a fitting on the top
of each side of the deck.

So, you might check with Cub Cadet to see if you can order these
parts and install them on your mower. It might be hard to put a
hole in the deck for the fitting, but it could be done.

Bob-tx

Old 12-04-2008, 03:27 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Bob" wrote in message

"Phil" wrote in message
[...]

My Troybilt had a big brass bolt, washer, and nut in the deck where the
fitting/adapter goes.
--
Dave

How about a tax to support any military conflict/police action over 3 months
old?

An actual war, we can do what's been done in the past.

Old 15-04-2008, 04:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Thanks to all for the suggestions , I did order a Cub Cadet fitting and
coupler today , am hopeful that it will do the job , dealer said that I
should grease the blade spindles every time the mower is washed , if I run
it full speed for a couple of minutes and dry the deck out it should be OK ,
Thanks Again, Phil L.
"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message
m...

Old 16-04-2008, 02:12 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Mel M Kelly" wrote in message
I have a shallow creek with a rock bottom so I just drive in to about 3
inches deep and turn on the blades. Works GREAT. I guess everyone can't
do that though.

I have one of those. I will try that, thanks for the suggestion.
Tomes

Old 16-04-2008, 01:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 09:45:58 -0400, "Phil" wrote:

Hello
I have a Cub Cadet 1527 Mower Tractor with a 42 in. deck , have had the
usual problem with grass sticking to the underside of the deck and the
damage that goes with this problem , I had the deck sand-blasted a year ago
and painted it with a special very tough paint that I got from Summit Racing
, I ran a hose under the deck with the mower running and it really cleaned
the fresh grass off the deck , took the deck off last fall for maint. and it
looks very good , have heard all kind of ways to wash a deck , wonder if
anybody has added a fitting to the deck or buried a right angle hose in the
ground to spray up , getting down on the ground with a water hose isn't the
best .
Thanks
Phil L.

Humm, I always thought this to be a bad idea. Seems to me there would
be bearing and rust through in time. Better off using a teflon spray
or such after a cleaning.

Otoe

Old 16-04-2008, 04:39 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On Apr 9, 8:45*am, "Phil" wrote:
Hello
* *I have a Cub Cadet 1527 Mower Tractor with a 42 in. deck , have had the
usual problem with grass sticking to the underside of the deck and the
damage that goes with this problem , I had the deck sand-blasted a year ago
and painted it with a special very tough paint that I got from Summit Racing
, I ran a hose under the deck with the mower running and it really cleaned
the fresh grass off the deck , took the deck off last fall for maint. and it
looks very good , have heard all kind of ways to wash a deck , wonder if
anybody has added a fitting to the deck or buried a right angle hose in the
ground to spray up , getting down on the ground with a water hose isn't the
best .
Thanks
Phil L.

One of those hose attachments for cleaning gutters (pointed up instead
of down of course)???
Old 17-04-2008, 12:47 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Blattus_Slafaly_?_(3)_¼_" wrote:
Take the mower deck off, stand it up and use a pressure washer.

I run my tractor on ramps and do that, but only a few times per season.
More toward the fall when I'm dealing with the leaves. I squirt it down
with wd-40 after I let it dry.

The damn thing will still rust away eventually.
Old 20-04-2008, 04:16 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Rust damage , if fresh grass stick to the mower deck and isn't removed right
away it will stay forever and is very acidic and will rust the deck , as I
said earlier , got special paint from Summit Racing , stuff is like iron and
holds up well but I have to get the grass off quickly or it is solid , used
a hose last year and it worked great , I just picked up a wash fittings from
Cub today and going to install it shortly , thanks for the interest , Phil
""Blattus Slafaly ? (3) ¼ "" wrote in
message ...
Phil wrote:
Hello
I have a Cub Cadet 1527 Mower Tractor with a 42 in. deck , have had
the usual problem with grass sticking to the underside of the deck and
the damage that goes with this problem , I had the deck sand-blasted a
year ago and painted it with a special very tough paint that I got from
Summit Racing , I ran a hose under the deck with the mower running and it
really cleaned the fresh grass off the deck , took the deck off last fall
for maint. and it looks very good , have heard all kind of ways to wash a
deck , wonder if anybody has added a fitting to the deck or buried a
right angle hose in the ground to spray up , getting down on the ground
with a water hose isn't the best .
Thanks
Phil L.

What kind of damage are you talking about. My deck is 20 years old and
works fine, just put new bearings in the three spindles and scraped off
all the old grass. What damage are you talking about? Normal wear?

--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 7/8

Mower deck Q. Steve & Chris Clark United Kingdom 0 06-03-2004 08:22 PM
Cleaning mower deck... Andy & Lucinda Lawns 1 10-05-2003 03:32 PM
Simplicity mower deck LB Gardening 0 03-05-2003 05:08 PM
JD LT160 mower deck problem Chad Graybill Lawns 2 30-04-2003 11:56 PM
Anyone tried the mower deck Wash Port? CNB Lawns 0 03-04-2003 01:08 PM