Old 11-05-2009, 02:26 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Lawn Mower Problem

We have a rear bagger mulching push mower. I accidentally ran over a
very thick tree route and it literally knocked the blade right off. I
was able to put the blade back on and when I manually turn it it
freely spins around but when I try to start the mower it won't start,
it makes a loud clunking sound and the pull rope sometimes only comes
out about half way and abruptly stops. Anyone have any conjecture as
to the nature of the repair and whether it would be less costly to
just get a new mower for a couple hundred bucks?
Old 11-05-2009, 03:00 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jeffy3 wrote:
We have a rear bagger mulching push mower. I accidentally ran over a
very thick tree route and it literally knocked the blade right off. I
was able to put the blade back on and when I manually turn it it
freely spins around but when I try to start the mower it won't start,
it makes a loud clunking sound and the pull rope sometimes only comes
out about half way and abruptly stops. Anyone have any conjecture as
to the nature of the repair and whether it would be less costly to
just get a new mower for a couple hundred bucks?

sounds like you really baracked it up!
Old 12-05-2009, 02:45 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 11, 10:00*am, akaSoetoro wrote:
Jeffy3 wrote:
We have a rear bagger mulching push mower. I accidentally ran over a
very thick tree route and it literally knocked the blade right off. I
was able to put the blade back on and when I manually turn it it
freely spins around but when I try to start the mower it won't start,
it makes a loud clunking sound and the pull rope sometimes only comes
out about half way and abruptly stops. Anyone have any conjecture as
to the nature of the repair and whether it would be less costly to
just get a new mower for a couple hundred bucks?

sounds like you really baracked it up!

Curious exactly how the blade managed to come off and to do so in such
a way that you could put it back on. From the description of how it
won't crank it sounds like the cranshaft or other internals are
kaput. I'd say it's time to get a new mower.
Old 24-06-2009, 08:32 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Jeffy3 wrote:
We have a rear bagger mulching push mower. I accidentally ran over a
very thick tree route and it literally knocked the blade right off. I
was able to put the blade back on and when I manually turn it it
freely spins around but when I try to start the mower it won't start,
it makes a loud clunking sound and the pull rope sometimes only comes
out about half way and abruptly stops. Anyone have any conjecture as
to the nature of the repair and whether it would be less costly to
just get a new mower for a couple hundred bucks?

If the crankshaft isn't bent, and the blade is on tight, the flywheel key that
keeps it aligned properly with the crankshaft is sheared. Pull of the flywheel,
repalce the key, and it should work.

Perculiar lawn mower problem FDR Lawns 15 16-06-2006 08:22 PM
Lawn Mower Battery Problem geezer Lawns 23 07-07-2005 12:40 PM
Lawn mower problem Matt Gardening 3 23-08-2004 09:10 PM
Lawn Mower Problem Stuart United Kingdom 7 16-05-2004 10:18 PM
How to Make a Lawn Mower into Mulching Mower? Jay Chan Gardening 8 30-05-2003 04:09 PM