Old 12-06-2006, 01:55 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
FDR

Default Perculiar lawn mower problem

I have a Sears lawn mower, rear drive, 6.5 Hp Briggs and Stratton engine
that is five years old. It didn't get much use when we got it in the fall
five years ago, and then the following years we had somebody mow our lawn so
it sat for four years. This spring I fired it up and it ran well until the
last few times. The symptoms are this:

Takes several tries to get started. Prime the bulb and pull cord, will run
for 5 seconds and stop. Repeat this five or so times until it stays
running.

Then will run for 20 or so minutes and then run erratically and stall After
stalling, the engine must be bulb primed to get started again. Will run for
a minute and then stall again. Repeats this over and over until I give up.

Before I bring this in to get serviced, can I get an idea what might be
causing this. I'm wondering if it's worth the repair bill.

Thanks for your replies.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:00 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
fr0g

"FDR" wrote in message
[...]

Carburetion/ fuel system (from sitting)

I'm wondering if it's worth the repair bill.

Only you can answer this.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:23 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
FDR

"fr0g" wrote in message

"FDR" wrote in message
[...]

Would that mean a nwe carb? What exactly would cause it to have problems at
startup and after running 20 minutes? I assume heat is an issue, but how?

I'm wondering if it's worth the repair bill.

Only you can answer this.

I'll have to research the price of a carb. I could probably do it myself.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:34 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Srgnt Billko

"FDR" wrote in message
[...]

I never met a carbuerator you couldn't clean. Some of my equipment is 30,
40 & 50 years old - and I've never bought a new carbureator. The closest I
came was a rebuilt carb on a 1940's Jeep.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:35 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
fr0g

"FDR" wrote in message
[...]

I'd look at fuel delivery first. Check the screen in the tank and the gas
cap (vent). It sounds (to me) like the flow of fuel is restricted. I've seen
the cap vent cause this problem. After that checks out I'd look at the carb.
Pull it, disassemble, clean, adjust, re-install. I bet you'll find some crud
in the passages and restrictions in the fuel supply.

I'm wondering if it's worth the repair bill.

You might be able to get an estimate to better help you decide.

Old 12-06-2006, 02:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
FDR

"fr0g" wrote in message

I'd look at fuel delivery first. Check the screen in the tank and the gas
cap (vent). It sounds (to me) like the flow of fuel is restricted. I've
seen
the cap vent cause this problem. After that checks out I'd look at the
carb.
Pull it, disassemble, clean, adjust, re-install. I bet you'll find some
crud
in the passages and restrictions in the fuel supply.

What would be reasonable to clean it with? Rag, solvent, WD40?

Old 12-06-2006, 02:46 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
fr0g

"FDR" wrote in message

"fr0g" wrote in message

I'd look at fuel delivery first. Check the screen in the tank and the

gas
cap (vent). It sounds (to me) like the flow of fuel is restricted. I've
seen
the cap vent cause this problem. After that checks out I'd look at the
carb.
Pull it, disassemble, clean, adjust, re-install. I bet you'll find some
crud
in the passages and restrictions in the fuel supply.

What would be reasonable to clean it with? Rag, solvent, WD40?

Go to the Auto Parts Store and get some "Gum Out" or similar carb cleaning
solvent. Wear eye protection and use in a well ventilated area (that stuff
is nasty). Use a toothbrush and fine wire to clean all the passages. Blow
out with air, re-assemble exactly in the reverse sequence from the way you
took it apart. I usually work on a clean towel so I can see all the parts if
they drop.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:04 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Stubby

My guess is your mower is overheating. Are there leaves and grass
clippings clogging the cooling fins?

Old 12-06-2006, 03:17 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
FDR

"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..
My guess is your mower is overheating. Are there leaves and grass
clippings clogging the cooling fins?

No, doesn't look it.

Old 12-06-2006, 03:19 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
FDR

"fr0g" wrote in message

"FDR" wrote in message

"fr0g" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks. It's been almost twenty years since I worked on cars and I've lost
my memory of how to do repair engines.

Old 12-06-2006, 04:50 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
fr0g

"FDR" wrote in message

"fr0g" wrote in message

[...]

I too suffer from CRS (Can't Remember Shit). Just take it slow, make notes
of the sequential steps (if you need to). Clean each part and lay it out in
order. They've not changed a lot in 20 years. You don't get extra points for
leftover parts. :-)

Old 12-06-2006, 01:04 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
willshak

FDR wrote:
"fr0g" wrote in message

I'd look at fuel delivery first. Check the screen in the tank and the gas
cap (vent). It sounds (to me) like the flow of fuel is restricted. I've
seen
the cap vent cause this problem. After that checks out I'd look at the
carb.
Pull it, disassemble, clean, adjust, re-install. I bet you'll find some
crud
in the passages and restrictions in the fuel supply.

What would be reasonable to clean it with? Rag, solvent, WD40?

If you don't know what to clean a carburetor with, I wouldn't suggest
taking the carb apart. Spend the $50 or $60 and find a reliable small
motor repair shop. I paid $70 to have my garden tractor's carb cleaned.
It would have been much cheaper if I could have delivered the mower to
the shop myself. As it was, the bill included pick up and delivery of
the tractor.

--
Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Old 12-06-2006, 01:31 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Ether Jones

FDR wrote:
[...]

You didn't mentioned whether or not you prepared the engine for storage
4 years ago before you let it sit unused for 4 years. Did you
completely drain out the gasoline and run the engine until it stalled
from lack of gas? Gas goes "stale" after a few months and can create
"varnish" deposits in the carburetor which interfere with proper
carburetion.

If you're not mechanically inclined, and aren't prepared to disassemble
the carburetor, then you might try this first: If you haven't already
done so, completely drain the old stale gas out of the tank, and fill
with fresh gas. Then go to WalMart and buy a bottle of Chevron
Techron. Put a couple of ounces in the gas tank and run the engine for
5 minutes. Then shut it off and let the mower sit for 24 hours. Then
start the engine again and let run for 5 minutes. Repeat this for a
week or until the problem clears up.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:53 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
FDR

"Ether Jones" wrote in message
oups.com...

FDR wrote:
[...]

It was free of gas when I stored it. It ran well for the first four or five
times I had it out of storage, just stated going bad recently.

Old 13-06-2006, 01:38 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
James

Overheating after five seconds ???

Come onnnnnnnnnnnnnn !!!

Petrol Lawn Mower problem Peter C United Kingdom 4 18-06-2007 12:05 AM
Lawn Mower Battery Problem geezer Lawns 23 07-07-2005 12:40 PM
Lawn mower problem Matt Gardening 3 23-08-2004 09:10 PM
Lawn Mower Problem Stuart United Kingdom 7 16-05-2004 10:18 PM
How to Make a Lawn Mower into Mulching Mower? Jay Chan Gardening 8 30-05-2003 04:09 PM