Old 19-05-2003, 05:20 AM
Tim Fischer

Default Cost to mow...

My neighbor is in a bind, since their lawn tractor is on the fritz. He
wants me to mow their yard until they make other arrangements. I'm not real
keen on the idea as I have a bigger need for time (for all my own projects)
than money. But, I want to be neighborly...

How much should I charge (he's definitely willing to pay) to mow about 8/10
acre of mostly treeless property with few obstacles? Also, I will not be
doing any trimming, edging, raking, etc-- pretty much just what my lawn
tractor can do.

I want to charge enough so that they want to find other arrangements sooner
than later, but not so much as to be ridiculous. We just moved here last
July and don't really know these folks at all, so I'm surprised they asked
us (although we're their closest neighbor and have a brand new Deere so they
know we can do it.

I'm in suburban Minneapolis, if that matters.

Thanks,
-Tim

Old 19-05-2003, 05:44 AM
Chas Hurst

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message
[...]

Why not offer the use of your lawnmower to your neighbor for a mow or two?

Old 19-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Tim Fischer

"Chas Hurst" wrote in message
Why not offer the use of your lawnmower to your neighbor for a mow or two?

Because it's brand new, cost me about $4000, and it's a ZTR
(zero-turn-radius) and they take a bit of getting used to. Basically, I
don't know these folks well enough. This mower's worth more than one of my
cars, and I don't lend my car to my neighbors either grin.

-Tim

Old 19-05-2003, 03:32 PM
Owen Lowe

In article YKYxa.634948$OV.599440@rwcrnsc54,
"Tim Fischer" wrote:

How much should I charge (he's definitely willing to pay) to mow about 8/10
acre of mostly treeless property with few obstacles? Also, I will not be
doing any trimming, edging, raking, etc-- pretty much just what my lawn
tractor can do.

(Just to be clear, is that eight-tenths of an acre or 8-10 acres?)

If it's the smaller, then do it for free, to be neighborly and foster
good will. Why charge to do something that small that'll only take,
what... 20-30 mins? Do it once or twice because you're a good guy and
want to help out your fellow neighbor. You never know when you'll need
his assistance with something.

If he insists on paying, then ask him to fill your gas can.

_____
American Association of Woodturners
Cascade Woodturners Assoc., Portland, Oregon
Northwest Woodturners, Tigard, Oregon
_____
Old 19-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Tim Fischer

"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
If it's the smaller, then do it for free, to be neighborly and foster
good will. Why charge to do something that small that'll only take,
what... 20-30 mins? Do it once or twice because you're a good guy and
want to help out your fellow neighbor. You never know when you'll need
his assistance with something.

If he insists on paying, then ask him to fill your gas can.

OK, I need to clarify more details.

1) It is about 8 tenths of an acre.

2) We told him we'd do it once for free-- but then they'd have to find other
arrangements. Then the wife and older son comes over and thanks us, and
acts like we've committed to doing it all summer. When we tried to clarify,
they pulled a "desparation act" and asked if we could help them out "for
awhile". I have no idea what their idea of "for awhile" is.

3) If this was once or twice I would gladly do it for free. I've already
done it once for free. But based on what they've told me, they want me to
do it longer. They are not native English speakers and communication is a
bit of a problem.

4) I DON'T want to be in the mowing business. We just moved into this house
last year and I have tons of projects that need to be tackled. I can't
afford the 30 min to an hour a week it will take to mow another property.

Thanks,
-Tim

Old 20-05-2003, 02:32 AM
Oscar_lives

"Tim Fischer" wrote in message
"Owen Lowe" wrote in message
news
[...]

Just say "no".

BTW: Grow a spine, pussy.

Old 20-05-2003, 07:08 AM
Owen Lowe

In article am6ya.641389$OV.603117@rwcrnsc54,
"Tim Fischer" wrote:

OK, I need to clarify more details.

Thanks for adding in the additional details - I read your comments in
the repair group as well. Yes, I agree with you that it appears there
may be no end in sight. I was under the impression the neighbor was in a
very temporary bind and after helping out once or twice the neighbor
would have solved his problems and not needed the assistance any longer.

If you feel they're taking advantage of your neighborliness, then by all
means, don't do the work - it'll only foster resentment on your side of
the fence. I'm not sure that doing the mowing and charging a fee is a
good idea either - not exactly sure why, but it just doesn't sit well...
I guess because you're not in the lawncare business and it may still end
up as friction in the relationship.

Do you know any teenagers who might be looking for a few bucks you could
send to their door?

_____
Old 20-05-2003, 09:20 AM
j roberts

Are you sorry you asked yet?

I don't know much, but since noone else has really answered, I will say that
my yard is about the same size with some obstacles, and the quote I received
was $45. That doesn't sound TOO ridiculous, but still adds up to about
$180/month. After they pay that a few times, they will probably do the math
and figure out that they could buy their own tractor, make payments, and be
ahead.

Old 23-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Brandi

Hi Tim,
We have almost 3/4 of an acre. We are charged weekly $35/cut which includes
all the extras (edging, trimming and we have several trees that need to be
edged around.

I've read all your comments and can see where a real problem can begin.
Since there is a language barrier, maybe going through your yellow pages and
selecting two or three gardeners for them to call or go through the phone
book with them and then tell them (nicely) that this will be your last cut.
You just have too much to do around your own home.

Good Luck!!
Brandi

Old 23-05-2003, 03:56 AM
Tim Fischer

Hi folks-- I was the original poster.

I think the problem has solved itself. The other day, a van from Sears
stopped by the neighbors (their mower is a Crapsman) and I believe their
mower is now working -- they used it to mow their lawn, anyway.

Thanks so much for all of the solutions.

-Tim

Old 23-05-2003, 04:32 AM
Scott Downey

You should wonder if your neighbor will really pay you at all.
Cut it with the assumption you wont get paid for your trouble otherwise
there could be a lot of hard feelings developing.
If you decide to cut it wait till it gets rather long to encourage them to
fix their lawn mower and take responsibility themselves.
..

Old 27-05-2003, 12:08 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

Do what I did, my neighbors bought the house next door and layed sod, but
didnt have a mower, they asked if I would mind coming over and mowing there
lawn once in a while since i have a rider mower. At first I didnt mind,
seeing as I have a rider mower, its more fun than a chore. Well I did this
for about 2 months, then grew tired of mowing their lawn as well as my own,
(I started to feel like I had to do their lawn when I did mine) so I stopped
mowing all together, my lawn and theirs.

When they asked what was up, I told them my mower was on the fritz. Believe
it or not, within a week they had a brand new mower to mow their own lawn,
though they never offered to mow my lawn, but a week later I started mowing
my own lawn again and gave them the explanation that I took my mower to the
shop and had it repaired at the cost of $300.00, they did offer to pay me
half of the "supposed" repair bill, but I declined. They now have a new
mower and I dont have to mow their lawn.

:

Old 27-05-2003, 02:08 AM
Oscar_lives

"GamePlayer No. 1058" wrote in message
[...]

Why not grow a spine and be honest. Tell them you don't want to mow their
lawn.

You people are a bunch of spineless pussies. You dance all around the issue
and lie to others, rather than dealing with the issues in a straight-forward
manner.

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
GamePlayer No. 1058

"Oscar_lives" wrote in message
:
[...]

Hmmm, why? Because they are my neighbors and unlike the anonymity of usenet,
I have to actually live with them next door, and telling them I dont want to
mow their lousy lawn and either create hard feelings or resentment is not my
style.

Now go wash out your mouth, you filthy foul mouthed baboon.

Old 29-05-2003, 05:23 AM
Oscar_lives

[...]

Yeah, I'm sure they respect a pussy-footing, lying idiot for a neighbor.

Treat them honestly and respectfully. See how much they respect you then.

Now, they just think you are an asshole.

Mow, mow, mow Srgnt Billko Lawns 3 19-05-2007 04:10 AM
To mow or not to mow snafu Gardening 9 26-09-2004 01:05 PM
help - can't crank lawnmower - need to mow PV North Carolina 5 11-11-2003 05:02 PM
how soon can i mow over new grass? MoJo United Kingdom 3 18-09-2003 09:15 AM