Old 24-06-2003, 11:21 PM
We Three Browns

Default Riding Mower

Can anyone give me some feedback on a Troy-bilt riding mower? I am
considering buying one and would like to know anything pros or cons.

Thanks.

Old 25-06-2003, 02:44 AM
JJ

Troy-Bilt tractors made by MTD, which is a big maker of low end tractors.
MTD tractors are sold under a number of names - Troy-Bilt, Yard Machines,
Huskee, White, etc. It's certainly not a "premium" tractor on the level of
John Deere, Simplicity, etc.

Old 25-06-2003, 04:08 AM
Chris

How much lawn do you have to mow and what obstacles do you have such as 50
trees and 20 bushes or a simple square lot that is 50 x 50 with nothing to
mow around?

Old 25-06-2003, 08:20 PM
We Three Browns

I only have about 10 trees to mow around. I know I don't need a $2500 mower.
Are Troy-Bilt mowers reliable I guess is what I would like to know. The John
Deere in the same size I believe has a Briggs and Stratton motor as does the
Troy-bilt.

Old 03-07-2003, 10:08 PM
GRL

I bought a 15 horse Sears with hydrostatic drive over 10 years ago. B&S OHV
engine. No oil filter. It's made by MTD and cost ~$1,000. Use it weekly
during spring/summer/fall to do my 1/2 acre lot. The only service I do is a
once a year oil change (synthetic oil) and cleaning out the air cleaner
element annually. Oh yeah, batteries last about 2 years ($20 at Sam's). I
sharpen the blades once or twice a year.

Never have had any problems. I could have spent 50% to 100% more for a
big-name tractor, but it is inconceivable that it would have performed
better than that inexpensive Sears/MTD has. People like to scoff at MTD
stuff and call it junk. It is not junk. It is reliable, not too expensive,
and way plenty good enough for home-owner use. People who insist that you
need anything "better" for home-owner use simply don't know what they are
talking about or have too much money they feel a need to waste.

--

- GRL

"It's good to want things."

Steve Barr (philosopher, poet, humorist, chemist,
Visual Basic programmer)

Old 05-07-2003, 09:20 AM
Ron B

On 03-07-03 16:54, in article , "GRL"
wrote:03-07-03 16:54

[...]

Glad you have had good luck mowing your 1/2 acre lot using a Craftsman. I
would like to add that using a Craftsman cutting an area two or more times
the size of your lot IMHO is rolling the dice.

I have used an 18 horse Craftsman mower with filtered synthetic oil too.
Maybe you got lucky or I didn't, but aside from the Kohler engines on many
recent mowers, I don't think they are as reliable as you state. In fact, I
had so many failures of the deck (always lubricated) that it drove me crazy.
After the third belt swap (and new set of blades) in six months, I finally
had enough. Not to mention the slipping transaxle when pulling anything...

I have a neighbor who has been using his Cub Cadet for 40 years. I got my
3235 model garden tractor last year. Yes, it costs more than a Craftsman or
MTD, but with proper maintenance will likely last 40 years too IMHO.

Whatever you may believe, a good indicator of longevity is the unit designed
to be serviced? Sealed transaxles without filters are a good indicator of a
unit that cannot handle more than gentle use IMHO.

Next time you are shopping at Sears, check out the line of tractors lined up
in back of automotive (especially in the Fall) waiting to be 'fixed' or
exchanged.

Ron

Old 05-07-2003, 01:32 PM
William Plummer

I've had a Sears 38", 12 hp tractor and mowing deck for 16 years. It has a
Tecumseh engine. I have probably changed the oil 3 or 4 times and never
bother to run it dry before it sits for the Winter months. The biggest
problems have been getting the mowing deck even and high enough. One time
the front link broke and had to be replaced. This was a problem because the
replacement Sears sent was not an exact replacement. I had to drill out one
seet of holes, but it worked in the end.

The number of mowers waiting for repairs is no indication of their quality.
What percent of the number sold does number of mowers you saw represent?
Sears sells an enormous number of mower and the ones you saw were probably a
smaller percent than other brands!
Old 18-07-2003, 08:23 PM
Greg

I agree! I have a 1989 MTD Tradesman 38. I use it to mow my 1/2 acre ( I
live in Florida where I have to mow once a week for about 7 months)

I just replaced the 14 year old mower deck. I have friends that have
replaced their Snapper and John Deere decks just as often.

Aside from a yearly oil/filter change, new belts every 5-7 years, and a
carburetor rebuild I have had no major problems. For a relatively small yard
it has been a great mower - I hope to keep it for another 14 years.

Old 21-07-2003, 01:37 AM
Rick Appel

Ron....

Hate to tell you, but your Club Cadet is an MTD product.. heres the link:

http://www.mtdproducts.com/home.jsp

-----------
----------

Old 22-07-2003, 08:12 AM
Ron B

Well, the '1000' series units are MTD, but the '2000' series and up are NOT
repainted MTD units...

My 3235 unit has at least 14 ga. (I think 12 ga.) Or better steel and a
helluva better design to boot...

The deck is rock solid with the added benefit of having a serviceable
transaxle unlike other units...

If you do not have a transaxle that is able to have a fluid and filter
change, you are taking fate into you own hands IMHO...

On 20-07-03 20:30, in article , "Rick
Appel" wrote:20-07-03 20:30

Old 31-07-2003, 10:29 PM
Steve W.

MTD owns/builds ALL Cub Cadet, Troy Built/Bolens,White,Yard-Man,Yard
Machines,Ryobi,Cub Commercial. They also build about 90 percent of the House
Brand rigs. Sears,Scotts,Dynamark,Low end John Deere,Wards,Agway. About 50
others as well.

There are very few companies left that build their own stuff. Simplicity,
John Deere (up to the small diesels which are Yanmar),
Kubota,Ariens,Skag,American Tool,and about 3 others are all that are out
there.

--
Fort Plain NY

"Ron B" wrote in message
Well, the '1000' series units are MTD, but the '2000' series and up are

NOT
repainted MTD units...

My 3235 unit has at least 14 ga. (I think 12 ga.) Or better steel and a
helluva better design to boot...

The deck is rock solid with the added benefit of having a serviceable
transaxle unlike other units...

If you do not have a transaxle that is able to have a fluid and filter
change, you are taking fate into you own hands IMHO...

On 20-07-03 20:30, in article , "Rick
Appel" wrote:20-07-03 20:30

Ron....

Hate to tell you, but your Club Cadet is an MTD product.. heres the

link:

http://www.mtdproducts.com/home.jsp

-
-----------

-
----------

Old 05-08-2003, 02:22 AM
Matt

"Steve W." wrote in :

MTD owns/builds ALL Cub Cadet, Troy Built/Bolens,White,Yard-Man,Yard
Machines,Ryobi,Cub Commercial. They also build about 90 percent of the
House Brand rigs. Sears,Scotts,Dynamark,Low end John
Deere,Wards,Agway. About 50 others as well.

There are very few companies left that build their own stuff.
Simplicity, John Deere (up to the small diesels which are Yanmar),
Kubota,Ariens,Skag,American Tool,and about 3 others are all that are
out there.

MTD does NOT build Scotts or Dynamark, Murray does (except the Scotts
specifically labelled by John Deere). And 95% of Sears
is built by Electrolux Outdoor Products a.k.a. Frigidaire Home Products,
a.k.a. American Yard Products, which was formerly part of Roper Corp.
They (EOP/FHP/AYP) also build Husqvarna, Jonsered, Poulan, Weed Eater,
Rally, Pioneer, Partner, Flymo, Poulan PRO, Paramount, Yazoo/Kees and
many private label products.
MTD does build a small number of products for Sears, mostly snow throwers.
They also OWN and BUILD Cub Cadet, TroyBilt, Bolens, YardMan, Ryobi,
Cub Commercial, Yard Machines, White Outdoor, Lawn Chief, Aircap, Wheeler,
and build for many other private labels including most Agway. Even if
that Cub Cadet still has the Cub Hydro Transaxle, the rest of the
tractor is STILL MTD. And MTD owns AgriFab, who builds many of the
transaxles used as well as a large number of the attachments. And they
are a partner in HydroGear with Sunstrand, another major source of
transaxles to the industy.

At one time, some more recent than others, each of these brands was an
independent company, but over the last thirty years, the price shopper
and the government have pretty much driven all the cheap machines and
most of the good machines out of business. As they went under, the
big boys bought them up.

Ariens owns Gravely. Simplicity owns or builds Massey Ferguson, Snapper,
Ferris, Derby and AgcoAllis. Toro owns Wheel Horse and LawnBoy. John Deere
bought and killed Homelite, but at least they build all of their own
product, even the Scotts by Deere at the BORG. The other Scotts at the
BORG were Murray, including the walk behinds. Murray owns Noma, who owned
Western International, which was the spin off of AMF who made Dynamark.
Old 05-08-2003, 05:02 PM
Steve W.

Around 2000 Murray was purchased by an investment group called Summerstrong.
MTD is the principle investor in Summerstrong.

--
Fort Plain NY