Old 10-10-2003, 03:22 AM
Robin Ellzey

Default suggestions on keeping neighborly cats off lawn

I am looking for humane, non-harmful ways to keep the neighborhood
cats out of my yard. I don't want to trap the cats eithers. Any
suggestions?
Old 10-10-2003, 04:03 PM
Registered User

Location: Cheshire

Robin, as much as I do agree with INTERNET FILESHARING GOD, I'm guessing you don't really want to go around like John Rambo. Have you tried the high pitch sensors or orange peel? You may even find a bottle of water can get rid of them.
Old 10-10-2003, 07:32 PM
Phrederik

Shoot the cat in the head. It's quick. It's painless. It's humane.
Barring that, find out whose cats they are, go over there and tell
them to keep their worthless felines out of your yard. If they won't,
beat the hell outa them and then shoot the cats. You're not being
inhumane. The irresponsible pet owners are being inhumane by not
controlling their animals.

....and I hope someone controls you someday.

Old 10-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Patch

"Robin Ellzey" wrote in message
om...
I am looking for humane, non-harmful ways to keep the neighborhood
cats out of my yard. I don't want to trap the cats eithers. Any
suggestions?

Cats hate getting wet. Get a kid's "Soaker" and spray the little devils.

Old 11-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Mikelle Fischer

Patch wrote:
"Robin Ellzey" wrote in message
om...
I am looking for humane, non-harmful ways to keep the neighborhood
cats out of my yard. I don't want to trap the cats eithers. Any
suggestions?

Cats hate getting wet. Get a kid's "Soaker" and spray the little
devils.

Hi! Newbie here wanting to elaborate on an already good suggestion...

You can buy sprinklers with motion sensors on them. They're marketed for
scaring deer out of your garden, but I'm sure they would also work well in
this situation.

-Mikelle-

Old 13-10-2003, 04:12 PM
Oscar_lives

"Robin Ellzey" wrote in message
om...
I am looking for humane, non-harmful ways to keep the neighborhood
cats out of my yard. I don't want to trap the cats eithers. Any
suggestions?

Club 'em with a ball bat.

Old 14-10-2003, 02:12 AM
Oscar_lives

Thanks. You really do learn some good stuff on USENET!!!

I would have never thought about the golf club.

My next thought was to drop 'em by the tail into a running chipper/shredder.

Old 24-10-2003, 05:42 AM
JDB

Cats remember faces and voices.

Next time the cat(s) shows up, run at it and scream like you've had your
heart punctured by an arrow.

Next time cat(s) appears, just get close enough to be seen.

They'll split.

And probably not come back.

Except for the mean ones...who will attack you and claw out your eyes (and
your heart.)

Old 24-10-2003, 06:02 AM
Steveo

"JDB" wrote:
Except for the mean ones...who will attack you and claw out your eyes
(and your heart.)

...And your garbage.
Old 28-10-2003, 01:32 PM
Jenny

This is a great option!
I grew up on a farm and we always had a few cats around the barn.
Not a common prob, but every now and then it would be, the cats would try to
climb up under the hood of a vehicle that had been running, liked the warmth
I guess.
Of course, if they were still there when the vehicle started again, they
were goners.
Thankfully that never happened at our house, but a neighbour who it had
happened to suggested spraying them with the garden hose on a strong
setting, so they got wet, and it stung a bit too.
We did that and the cat never when near the vehicle again.
Only thing wrong with this is you have to sit around and wait for them to
come to make it effective.

Alternately, I found something at the nursery called "get off my garden" and
it is a smelly greenish gel that you spray on your perimiter.
I got it because i had a dog tearing the garbage a few times.
Sprayed it once on the bag itself, and the dog never bothered my driveway
again.
Now I still have this whole bottle of stuff...and no problem animals to make
me bring it out again.
I didn't find it too bad to my nose, but apparently to the animal, it is
like marking territory, and kept them away.
Might be worth a try?
Jenny
Good luck