Old 18-03-2006, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
George.com

Default Keeping the cats out

"Alan" wrote in message
In message , Richard Parker
wrote
#include

If it is an offence to allow a dog to foul, without the owner clearing
it up, why is socially acceptable to allow a cat to do the same with no
responsibility on the owner to clear the mess?

As I understand it a dog is a domestic animal and a cat is a wild
animal. If you've ever lived with both you'll understand the
difference

This sounds like a get out clause for irresponsible cat owners.

Continually treating your cat as a kitten makes it domestic and safe.
Without this it would be wild and you would not be able to get within
ten feet of it without protective clothing.

Even by saying that a pet cat is wild does not prevent responsible
ownership. Those who let pet cats s**t in gardens belonging to others
are not responsible owners and should perhaps be barred from owning any
animals.

Those antisocial individuals that let their pet cats roam shouldn't be
surprised, and shouldn't complain, if other treat their vermin in the
same uncaring way as they do.

Alan, to put it bluntly, how the f c k do you propose people stop their cats
roaming? Lock them in cages? Put them on leads?

Do you have children? Do neighbours have to put up with irresponsible
parents letting their little shits scream and yell around the neighbourhood
crapping on other peoples peace and quiet? If so, how do propose to control
children and minimise their anti-social behaviour. Do we put them on a
leash?

I accept that pet ownership have responsibilities. I try to exercise them. I
do have cats and dogs and my moggies do not stray far from home. However, I
am far more tolerant to the odd cat shit in my garden than some kid yelling
their head off.

rob

Old 19-03-2006, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

I am in the process of putting rabbit proof fencing around most of my
garden. It was with some reluctance as it will keep the hedgehogs out
also, still I could no longer put up with them, what they don't eat they
dig up! Anyway the fencing is close to hedging so I reckon that the
cats will not be able to get in except a small run of fencing and gates.
I know I could put carpet grippers on the top there, but much as I
dislike cats I would not wish to harm them. any suggestions to an
alternative to stop them crossing the gates and fencing?
Old 19-03-2006, 11:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

"Broadback" wrote in message
I am in the process of putting rabbit proof fencing around most of my
garden. It was with some reluctance as it will keep the hedgehogs out
also, still I could no longer put up with them, what they don't eat they
dig up! Anyway the fencing is close to hedging so I reckon that the
cats will not be able to get in except a small run of fencing and gates.
I know I could put carpet grippers on the top there, but much as I
dislike cats I would not wish to harm them. any suggestions to an
alternative to stop them crossing the gates and fencing?

Short of a big dog or tennis court height chain link fencing,
its doubtful IMO. What's more as with all animal cunning, as soon
as there's a hole or a gap anywhere, every interested cat in the
neighbourhood will know all about it within a matter of hours.
Without wishing to sound too facetious the chicken wire
is both mouse and rat proof then I take it ? I don't have any
data to hand but IMO the presence of cats - even patrolling
toms seems to register on the rodent population. Cats don't
just catch mice they persuade them to move elsewhere. Which
also presents problem to people who like both cats and birds
in the garden. However this as I say this is only an opinion
based on limited experience but may be wrong.

michael adams

Old 19-03-2006, 11:37 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

As has been said, cats can climb, and very well. They only need a small
amount of grip, and wire will porvide that in spades, also cats climb
hedges and can jump very well. Unless it is very high then I suspect
that you will have difficulty in keeping them out.

Mike

Old 19-03-2006, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Watson

"Broadback" wrote in message
much as I dislike cats I would not wish to harm them. any suggestions to
an alternative to stop them crossing the gates and fencing?

Buy a Jif lemon (concentrated lemon juice).

Squirt it lightly around the whole area (you can dilute it by 50% and it'll
still work) and especially across the routes that your feline visitors
regularly walk.

They don't like it at all and it is quite harmless. Even refreshing it after
heavy rain or when it wears off is no big chore.

--
Brian

Old 19-03-2006, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ono Notim

I have a lot of birds in the garden and although several 10's of metres away
the next door neighbour has a cat - who likes birds! - Game on -
I use 2 electronic devices bought from an RSPB recommended resource -
Concept Research and if you keep moving them around they seem not to like
it.
http://www.conceptresearch.co.uk/cats_1.htm
http://www.conceptresearch.co.uk/cats_2.htm
Not cheap but ......
I hope that helps
O. N.

Old 19-03-2006, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden

"Broadback" wrote
I am in the process of putting rabbit proof fencing around most of my
garden. It was with some reluctance as it will keep the hedgehogs out
also, still I could no longer put up with them, what they don't eat they
dig up! Anyway the fencing is close to hedging so I reckon that the cats
will not be able to get in except a small run of fencing and gates. I know
I could put carpet grippers on the top there, but much as I dislike cats I
would not wish to harm them. any suggestions to an alternative to stop
them crossing the gates and fencing?

I didn't understand this comment..."what they don't eat they dig up!"
What do you mean?
Cats don't dig up anything deliberately and the only things they eat in a
garden are mice, rats, and birds.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-03-2006, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Broadback

Bob Hobden wrote:
"Broadback" wrote
I am in the process of putting rabbit proof fencing around most of my
garden. It was with some reluctance as it will keep the hedgehogs out
also, still I could no longer put up with them, what they don't eat they
dig up! Anyway the fencing is close to hedging so I reckon that the cats
will not be able to get in except a small run of fencing and gates. I know
I could put carpet grippers on the top there, but much as I dislike cats I
would not wish to harm them. any suggestions to an alternative to stop
them crossing the gates and fencing?

I didn't understand this comment..."what they don't eat they dig up!"
What do you mean?
Cats don't dig up anything deliberately and the only things they eat in a
garden are mice, rats, and birds.

Oops, bad writing, that comment referred to the rabbits, not the cats!
Old 19-03-2006, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan

In message , Bob Hobden
wrote

Cats don't dig up anything deliberately

Er, yes they do. They will destroy a seed bed with ease.

and the only things they eat in a
garden are mice, rats, and birds.

The best way to get rid of cats is to humanely trap them, leave them in
the trap for 6 hours and then spray them with old cooking oil and hot
chilli powder before releasing them. This discourages them from entering
your garden again.

This will not be a problem with responsible pet owners who keep their
animals under control and prevent them from straying around the
neighbourhood.
--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old 19-03-2006, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Broadback" wrote
I am in the process of putting rabbit proof fencing around most of my
garden. It was with some reluctance as it will keep the hedgehogs out
also, still I could no longer put up with them, what they don't eat they
dig up! Anyway the fencing is close to hedging so I reckon that the cats
will not be able to get in except a small run of fencing and gates. I know
I could put carpet grippers on the top there, but much as I dislike cats I
would not wish to harm them. any suggestions to an alternative to stop
them crossing the gates and fencing?

I didn't understand this comment..."what they don't eat they dig up!"
What do you mean?
Cats don't dig up anything deliberately and the only things they eat in a
garden are mice, rats, and birds.

I have a horrid feeling that he was refering to the rabbits about digging up
things!

Alan

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 19-03-2006, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
VX

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 12:17:19 +0000, Ono Notim wrote
(in message ):

I have a lot of birds in the garden and although several 10's of metres away
the next door neighbour has a cat - who likes birds! - Game on -
I use 2 electronic devices bought from an RSPB recommended resource -
Concept Research and if you keep moving them around they seem not to like
it.
http://www.conceptresearch.co.uk/cats_1.htm
http://www.conceptresearch.co.uk/cats_2.htm
Not cheap but ......
I hope that helps
O. N.

And it's worth noting that they do a similar product for deterring foxes. Now
THAT's interesting!

--
VX (remove alcohol for email)

Old 19-03-2006, 07:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Brian Watson

"Alan" wrote in message

The best way to get rid of cats is to humanely trap them, leave them in
the trap for 6 hours and then spray them with old cooking oil and hot
chilli powder before releasing them. This discourages them from entering
your garden again.

This will not be a problem with responsible pet owners who keep their
animals under control and prevent them from straying around the
neighbourhood.

Cats roam: get used to it.

There are far more humane ways (as I have already posted) to encourage them
to roam elsewhere if they threaten your personal little island of
loveliness.

--
Brian

Old 19-03-2006, 08:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan

In message , Brian Watson
wrote

Cats roam: get used to it.

Why? I shouldn't have to tolerate other peoples uncontrolled vermin.

There are far more humane ways (as I have already posted) to encourage them
to roam elsewhere

Why should people have to spend their own money discouraging other
peoples pets?

if they threaten your personal little island of
loveliness.

Pet ownership should come with responsibility but it is evident that in
many areas irresponsible owners don't care what damage their animals are
causing , or else they would control them.

Old 19-03-2006, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mark Goodge

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 20:21:01 +0000, Alan put finger to keyboard and
typed:

In message , Brian Watson
wrote

Cats roam: get used to it.

Why? I shouldn't have to tolerate other peoples uncontrolled vermin.

For the same reason that the rest of us have to tolerate your
ill-considered opinions: because it's generally accepted by society
that we do.

Mark
--
Visit: http://www.MineOfUseless.info - everything you never needed to know!
Listen: http://www.goodge.co.uk/files/dweeb.mp3 - you'll love it!
Old 19-03-2006, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan

In message e.net,
Mark Goodge wrote
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 20:21:01 +0000, Alan put finger to keyboard and
typed:

In message , Brian Watson
wrote

Cats roam: get used to it.

Why? I shouldn't have to tolerate other peoples uncontrolled vermin.

For the same reason that the rest of us have to tolerate your
ill-considered opinions:

Do I detect that you are one of those totally irresponsible people that
owns a cat and lets it roam?

because it's generally accepted by society
that we do.

Responsible pet ownership is socially acceptable but allowing a cat to
roam and use someone else's front garden as a pet lavatory is not.