Old 02-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Stephen & Erica Chenelle

Default Grub Worms

Have grub worms in lawn. Researched it and every website seems to say that
spraying is ineffective unless done in 2nd week in Aug when larvae is
infant. Any experiences. They're eating up my lawn now??????

--
Stephen and Erica Chenelle

Old 03-11-2003, 01:22 PM
Peter H

"Stephen & Erica Chenelle" wrote in message
Have grub worms in lawn. Researched it and every website seems to say

that
spraying is ineffective unless done in 2nd week in Aug when larvae is
infant. Any experiences. They're eating up my lawn now??????

--
Stephen and Erica Chenelle

There is a ton of misinformation out there about grubs Stephen ( and
Erica ). The subject is complicated due to the fact that there are different
types of grubs out there and different chemicals that work in different
ways. Applications can also vary depending on your climate. Lets not forget
that there are also lots of people writing stuff on the subject who have
never actually gotten their shoes muddy.

There is a preventative application that you can put down in the summer that
gets the baby grubs soon after they hatch, but you are too late for that
now. There are other chemicals that work on grubs, but the grubs must ingest
the insecticide for it to be effective. You can apply those whenever the
grubs are feeding.

Take the time to read the instructions. The application is a bit tricky.
It's most effective when applied in the rain. I would not suggest going
above the recommended application rate as these chemicals can have the same
effect on birds, dogs, etc. as it has on a grub. In a high enough
concentration they will kill a human. Also don't expect to get 'em all in
one application. A bad infestation can take 3, 4, or more applications, with
an appropriate wait in-between so that you do not compound the dose.

Good luck

Peter H

Old 03-11-2003, 10:42 PM
Die Spammer !!!

that there are also lots of people writing stuff on the subject who have
never actually gotten their shoes muddy.

this sounds alot like that stevo punk LOL

Old 07-11-2003, 05:12 PM
Tony Serwatuk

If you'd rather not use pesticides (I don't), a safer alternative is to have
a sprinkler system installed in the spring. With a regularly scheduled
watering cycle you'll effectively drown them out within 3 weeks. I used to
wake up to a dozen or so birds feasting on the grubs in my lawn in the
morning hours, but they have nothing to eat now.

Just a thought...

Old 08-11-2003, 01:42 PM
Peter H

"Tony Serwatuk" wrote in message
If you'd rather not use pesticides (I don't), a safer alternative is to

have
a sprinkler system installed in the spring. With a regularly scheduled
watering cycle you'll effectively drown them out within 3 weeks. I used

wake up to a dozen or so birds feasting on the grubs in my lawn in the
morning hours, but they have nothing to eat now.

Just a thought...

Lawn sprinklers are another route to go and will work if the infestation is
not too severe, but there are downsides. Beyond the fact that more and more
scientists are beginning to realize that we are squandering our fresh water
resources in trivial ways like this, you must be very careful with your
sprinkler system. In my 10+ years in the lawn care business I saw many lawn
problems, but by far the worst were the ones that were caused by excessive
irrigation and homeowners who insisted on having a lush green lawn right
through the summer months. If you go the sprinkler route I would recommend
that you be very careful with it. Use it only when required and in the heat
of the summer I would shut it down and let your lawn go dormant, which is
what it wants to do.

Peter H

Old 11-11-2003, 04:12 PM
Tony S

"Peter H" wrote in message
gers.com...

[...]

You make a good point regarding the squandering of fresh water resources,
however a smart irrigation program recommended and implemented by a
knowledgeable contractor will not only help with mild to intermediate
infestations, it will also reduce the overall consumption of water for those
homeowners who do insist on a lush lawn. The correct irrigation design
which factors in soil type (run-off/absorption rates etc.) as well as proper
water requirements pertaining to individual plant and turf types can safely,
effectively and efficiently get the desired results. Irrigation is a very
subjective issue (as is the use of pesticides) but education and knowledge
on the part of the contractor and the homeowner is paramount.

Here in Toronto, the safe use of pesticides has come under serious scrutiny
of late, leaving homeowners and lawn-care businesses faced with a newly
passed by-law (albeit an unnecessary, confusing, convoluted, conflict
producing, polarizing and unenforceable one) limiting the use of them.
While there continues to be a huge uprising of the horticulture industry to
have the "ban" re-evaluated and/or struck down, with some amendments made
appealing to both the industry and the activists, it seems that this issue
is far from over. If the activists have their way, the by-law will have an
enormous impact on the industry, and homeowners will need to find alternate
solutions to infestation problems.

Tony.

Old 11-11-2003, 07:02 PM
Peter H

[...]

Well I think that Toronto will follow Halifax's lead and the results will be
the same. The companies in the business will pack up and leave and the
homeowners will buy and attempt to apply the pesticides themselves.
Personally I can't see the by-law being repealed and I don't think that
there can be any common ground between the industry and the "
environmentalists". There is no sol'n... in 5 years we will see the results.
If anyone doesn't know what turf looks like when pesticides aren't used you
only have to take a stroll through a schoolyard or check out a boulevard in
Toronto these days. What you have there is not really turf, it's more a
combination of knotweed, dandelion, blackmedic and dirt. Lawns as we have
grown to know them will be a thing of the past in Toronto.

Peter H

Old 12-11-2003, 01:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Peter H said:

If anyone doesn't know what turf looks like when pesticides aren't used you
only have to take a stroll through a schoolyard or check out a boulevard in
Toronto these days. What you have there is not really turf, it's more a
combination of knotweed, dandelion, blackmedic and dirt. Lawns as we have
grown to know them will be a thing of the past in Toronto.

That's more lack of watering and improper mowing than lack of pesticides
(along with, in the case of the school grounds, compaction unalieviated by
core aeration). Those areas also probably could use an annual dose of
slow-release fertilizer in the fall and never get any fertilizer, ever. Pesticides
would not be enough turn those lawns lush. (In the past, maybe, they would
have had a more frequent mowing schedule, and even some fertilization, but
that would take more employees and is an easy thing to cut back on to save
money.)

My 'showpiece' front lawn has not seen a pesticide in 10+ years. It does
get watered, mowed regularly (high, often, with a very sharp blade and the
clippings mulched), and fertilized (organic or slow-release fertilizers, late
May, early Sept, late October -- all low-phosphorus formulations as
recommended for watershed protection).

--
Pat K. ('someplace.net' is comcast)

(attributed to Don Marti)

Old 12-11-2003, 04:02 PM
Peter H

"Pat Kiewicz" wrote in message
news
Peter H said:

[...]

Well all I can say is that in 10+ years of professional lawn care I never
saw a "showpiece" lawn that was maintained w/out pesticides. In theory is
suppose that it's possible as long as you've got the time to pull the weeds
and are fortunate enough that the bugs don't find you, but it's highly
unlikely. On the other hand I guess " showpiece " is a rather subjective
adjective.

Peter H

Old 12-11-2003, 08:03 PM
Steveo

Peter H said:

[...]

"Showpiece" is a relative term. Turfgrass variety, location, and
cultural practices cause many variations in appearance. That standard
is also relative to the beholder. My front lawn is mono-strand midnight
bluegrass. It requires -much- more care than say a turf type tall fescue
blend, but since I'm in the business it's no big deal. I'd never sell
a homeowner mono-midnight, unless I warned them of the care it requires.

'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder', really rings true here.
Old 13-11-2003, 12:02 PM
Pat Kiewicz

Peter H said:

Well all I can say is that in 10+ years of professional lawn care I never
saw a "showpiece" lawn that was maintained w/out pesticides. In theory is
suppose that it's possible as long as you've got the time to pull the weeds
and are fortunate enough that the bugs don't find you, but it's highly
unlikely. On the other hand I guess " showpiece " is a rather subjective
adjective.

"Showpiece" as in lush, green, and almost weed-free (most of the
weeds being tree seedlings, or at the margins by the flower beds).
As in casual visitors being impressed. As in my friends ask my advice
about lawns. Children have told me I have the greenest lawn in the
neighborhood. It appears to be mostly bluegrass, and I think it was
sodded by an earlier owner.

According to research (Michigan State), proper irrigation can protect
lawns from grub damage, as vigorous grass can outgrow the grub
feeding. So no, I haven't had much problems with grubs -- even when
some of my neighbors have had their lawns nearly wiped out. (They
follow the 'let it go dormant' school, generally, which lets the grubs win.)

I am constantly seeing lawns being abused by both homeowners and
professionals who mow too low. And far too many people don't realize
that one blade sharpening in the spring is probably not enough -- and
some of them don't even seem to do that much! You can do everything
else right, then destroy all that work with improper mowing.