Old 06-04-2004, 09:29 PM
Jerry

Default John Deere L110 vs L118

I'm considering the above two lawn tractors for a semi-flat yard less than
1/2 acre.

I know what enhancements the JD L118 has over the L110: seat, rear tires, V-
twin engine for $200 more.

However, it's the engine upgrade I wonder about. What are the opinions of
the single cyl Kohler vs the larger Briggs V-Twin? Ignoring the seat and
tires, is the engine upgrade worth it or would you stay with the Kohler?

I'm guessing it will start a "war" to ask for other recommendations to these
two in a similar price range. I might be interested in a ZTR, but I assume
they are out of the price range.

Thanks.
Old 19-04-2004, 06:07 PM
Mike Doyle

I just purchased an L118 this past weekend and faced the same
consideration as you on the L110. For me the V-twin was the deal
maker. I've owned a single cylinder Kohler in a Yard Man and while it
was a good engine, it was no where near as smooth as a V-twin from a
vibration standpoint.

The high back seat and wider rear tires are nice additions, the
smoothness of the V-twin makes it a slam dunk.

I haven't seen anything published regarding production numbers of the
limited edition, but purchased the last one at my local Home Depot.
Right now they have interest free (when you apply for a card) until
Jan. 2005.

Be sure to pick up a rebate form for the free tractor cover they're
offering on either model you choose.

Mike Doyle

Old 12-05-2004, 03:53 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Jerry

Old 12-05-2004, 04:04 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally posted by Gardener
I recently purchased a JD L118 and after reading the manual, I realized that the transmission is not the same as the L120. The ads, especially Home Depot, led me to believe that this was identical to the L120 but without some of the frills and a smaller deck. I contacted JD customer service about the ads and my concern that the transmission (same as the L110) was not up to the combination of weight, power,wheels etc. over the long term. The response was if I didn't like it, return it (at my expense). In several correspondences, they have not tried to reassure me. Tonight I have read of some starting problems;one more headache I don't want to deal with. I am thankful that I bought this from a JD dealer as they will take the unit back within 30 days.
Old 22-09-2004, 04:51 AM
Registered User

Thumbs up

[quote=Jerry]I'm considering the above two lawn tractors for a semi-flat yard less than
1/2 acre.

I know what enhancements the JD L118 has over the L110: seat, rear tires, V-
twin engine for $200 more.

However, it's the engine upgrade I wonder about. What are the opinions of
the single cyl Kohler vs the larger Briggs V-Twin? Ignoring the seat and
tires, is the engine upgrade worth it or would you stay with the Kohler?

I'm guessing it will start a "war" to ask for other recommendations to these
two in a similar price range. I might be interested in a ZTR, but I assume
they are out of the price range.

Thanks.[/QUOT

I have just purchased a 118. I would strongly suggest that you purchase the unit from a JD dealer as they have a 30 return policy. I ran the unit for the first time and was pleased with the performance. The V2 ran smoothly and quietly. There was nothing that I could not do with the unit. Close cutting, reverse cutting, comfortable ride and great on gas. Going to the JD dealer will eliminate Home Depot as a middle man. You deal with the people the HD send the unit to be serviced. Your JD dealer will give you the same $200 offer that HD does. I purchased the additional Extended Warranty that HD does not want to talk about. JD will be offering the 118 again for another year because of the popularity of the units.

John Deere LX 176 kent Lawns 8 11-01-2010 10:52 AM
Easy to see, Expat owns John Smith and John Smith is ExpatsPuppet on a String! hahahaha ..... Dance Johnny boy.. dance you fool!John Smith the puppet on a string John Smith[_5_] Ponds 0 07-09-2008 04:42 PM
John Deere F510 Riding Mower Keeps Blowing Fuses! C R R Lawns 0 29-03-2003 02:20 PM
John Deere 300 trans dipstick help Chris Szilagyi Gardening 0 28-01-2003 08:55 PM
John Deere Jeff Springer Lawns 4 06-12-2002 08:06 AM