Old 13-03-2005, 06:20 PM
Walter

Default How do I remove a mound?

The previous owner of my home built a mound about 15-20 in diameter and
maybe 2 feet high at the center. This has been here several years so it is
covered with St. Augustine. I want to remove it, because is serves no
useful purpose for us and it blocks drainage in that part of the yard.

I don't know the best way to go about this. Should I just attack it with a
shovel or rent a tiller, or pay someone to scoop it with a bobcat and just
re-sod the naked ground? I fear the shovel approach would take quite a
while by myself. The dirt is most likely a combination of top soil and
clay, mostly clay.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Old 13-03-2005, 06:31 PM
Srgnt Billko

"Walter" wrote in message
. 6...
The previous owner of my home built a mound about 15-20 in diameter and
maybe 2 feet high at the center. This has been here several years so it is
covered with St. Augustine. I want to remove it, because is serves no
useful purpose for us and it blocks drainage in that part of the yard.

I don't know the best way to go about this. Should I just attack it with a
shovel or rent a tiller, or pay someone to scoop it with a bobcat and just
re-sod the naked ground? I fear the shovel approach would take quite a
while by myself. The dirt is most likely a combination of top soil and
clay, mostly clay.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

That's why we get married. Buy her a shovel and put her to work.

Old 13-03-2005, 09:14 PM
MikeR

"Walter" wrote in message
. 6...
The previous owner of my home built a mound about 15-20 in diameter and
maybe 2 feet high at the center. This has been here several years so it is
covered with St. Augustine. I want to remove it, because is serves no
useful purpose for us and it blocks drainage in that part of the yard.

Any suggestions?

I'd lasso it, take a couple wraps around the front bumper (you'll wana see
all the details in real time) of yer' 53' DeSoto, slam it into "R" (for
mound Removal) and 'put the pedal 2 the metal'. The next cloudburst will do
the cleanup fer' ya.

Yer much abliged.

MikeR

Old 13-03-2005, 09:51 PM
James

It seems to me that the real question is, where do you put the topsoil etc
when you scoop it up, either by shovel, bobcat, or otherwise ?

A backhoe (with frontloader bucket) could do this job in an hour maximum,
including scooping the topsoil/sod/dirt up, and dumping the scoops into his
dump truck, and haul the entire thing off.

One hour of backhoe work in your community may vary, but perhaps it is
$55-65. Of course, any backhoe owner wouldn't load and unload for just
one hour, so perhaps he would do it for $150-200.

I would investigate backhoe operators in your area. Ask them out and they
will give you a price.

Good Luck !!

--James--

Old 15-03-2005, 02:23 AM
Walter

"Srgnt Billko" wrote in
:

"Walter" wrote in message
. 6...
The previous owner of my home built a mound about 15-20 in diameter
and maybe 2 feet high at the center. This has been here several years
so it is covered with St. Augustine. I want to remove it, because is
serves no useful purpose for us and it blocks drainage in that part
of the yard.

I don't know the best way to go about this. Should I just attack it
with a shovel or rent a tiller, or pay someone to scoop it with a
bobcat and just re-sod the naked ground? I fear the shovel approach
would take quite a while by myself. The dirt is most likely a
combination of top soil and clay, mostly clay.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

That's why we get married. Buy her a shovel and put her to work.

Maybe I should tell her there's a diamond buried at the bottom! :-D

Old 15-03-2005, 02:24 AM
Walter

"MikeR" wrote in
:

"Walter" wrote in message
. 6...
The previous owner of my home built a mound about 15-20 in diameter
and maybe 2 feet high at the center. This has been here several years
so it is covered with St. Augustine. I want to remove it, because is
serves no useful purpose for us and it blocks drainage in that part
of the yard.

Any suggestions?

I'd lasso it, take a couple wraps around the front bumper (you'll wana
see all the details in real time) of yer' 53' DeSoto, slam it into "R"
(for mound Removal) and 'put the pedal 2 the metal'. The next
cloudburst will do the cleanup fer' ya.

Yer much abliged.

Uh.. Thanks?

MikeR

Old 15-03-2005, 02:26 AM
Walter

"James" wrote in
:

It seems to me that the real question is, where do you put the topsoil
etc when you scoop it up, either by shovel, bobcat, or otherwise ?

A backhoe (with frontloader bucket) could do this job in an hour
maximum, including scooping the topsoil/sod/dirt up, and dumping the
scoops into his dump truck, and haul the entire thing off.

One hour of backhoe work in your community may vary, but perhaps it is
$55-65. Of course, any backhoe owner wouldn't load and unload for
just one hour, so perhaps he would do it for $150-200.

I would investigate backhoe operators in your area. Ask them out and
they will give you a price.

Good Luck !!

Thanks James. I will definitely look into it.

--James--

Old 17-03-2005, 01:13 PM
birdman

Walter wrote:

The previous owner of my home built a mound about 15-20 in diameter and
maybe 2 feet high at the center. This has been here several years so it is
covered with St. Augustine. I want to remove it, because is serves no
useful purpose for us and it blocks drainage in that part of the yard.

I don't know the best way to go about this. Should I just attack it with a
shovel or rent a tiller, or pay someone to scoop it with a bobcat and just
re-sod the naked ground? I fear the shovel approach would take quite a
while by myself. The dirt is most likely a combination of top soil and
clay, mostly clay.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

there may be a reason the mound is there and you will find out when you
dig it up!
Old 18-03-2005, 02:15 PM
Walter

birdman wrote in
:

Walter wrote:

The previous owner of my home built a mound about 15-20 in diameter
and maybe 2 feet high at the center. This has been here several years
so it is covered with St. Augustine. I want to remove it, because is
serves no useful purpose for us and it blocks drainage in that part
of the yard.

I don't know the best way to go about this. Should I just attack it
with a shovel or rent a tiller, or pay someone to scoop it with a
bobcat and just re-sod the naked ground? I fear the shovel approach
would take quite a while by myself. The dirt is most likely a
combination of top soil and clay, mostly clay.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

there may be a reason the mound is there and you will find out when
you dig it up!

Oh, I know why it's there. The previous owner had the patio extended, and
purposely used the excavated dirt to build the mound for chipping
practice. I don't golf.

Mound Plating a tree or shrub Sir Topham Hat Gardening 2 16-05-2005 03:10 AM
Building a mound Cat Gardening 6 10-07-2004 02:03 PM
Disguising Waterfall Mound Broomhilda Ponds 0 08-02-2004 01:28 PM
Ground cover for my Mound leach field? [email protected] Lawns 3 20-11-2003 05:58 PM
grass on a mound style septic field Joe Zorzin Lawns 3 19-06-2003 05:32 PM