Old 22-03-2005, 04:22 AM
USENET READER

Default More foreign-made tools in the future?

After I decided to renovate my own house to save a shit-load of money
(acting as my own contractor, doing the work myself, keeping that money
here in the USA and not getting sent to Mexico every weekend), I decided
to only buy American or at least whenever possible. Most of the
building supplies are made in the USA (except the wood, and I can't tell
where that is made), but it is hard to find American made tools.

And don't call me a racist for not hiring illegal Mexican workers from
across the border. They shouldn't be here and they should go the ****
back home and petition their own government to improve the situation
there, not come here and steal jobs and send their money back home. Or
at least they should work to get a green card and learn to speak English
- you come to my county so don't expect me to learn your language! It's
like Americans expecting everyone to speak English when they travel
overseas!

It was getting down to only Porter-Cable and Milwaukee brands. However,
some of the Milwaukee brand tools are made in Mexico and also in the
Czech Republic. Porter-Cable used to be made entirely in the USA, but I
heard that they were bought by Black and Decker, who has already
layed-off some 350 workers already and shipped some jobs to Mexico. I
already know some Porter-Cable tools are made in China.

I saw a Milwaukee grinder made in Mexico for $99 with no case, a DeWalt
grinder with a paddle switch for $89 with a case (made in Mexico) and a
lesser-priced DeWalt made in Brazil with no case for $49. I contacted
Porter-Cable to see if they had any decent angle grinders made in the
USA, since no one seemed to stock them. Someone from P-C CS told me
there was one discontinued grinder that was made in America, so I
ordered it from Lowe's because they had the best price on the item. It
came in ten days later in a box which had "Hecho en China" on it, and it
was of course dead on arrival (bad slider switch). So I went and bought
a DeWalt for $49 with a two-year warranty, since I wasn't going to spend
$99 on a grinder and not get a case with it.

I also recently read that Techtronic Industries, owners of Ryobi,
Ridgid, Homelite, Regine, Royal, Dirt Devil and Vax, recently spent 713
million for the purchase of Milwaukee Tools and Atlas Copco Compressors.
Does this all mean that no more tools are going to be made in the
USA? They either charge the same price for the tool and it isn't any
better (and often doesn't work as well) or they charge less and they
definately don't work as well.

I do want to buy American and want to keep my tool-purchasing dollars
over in the USA. But I am a little worried about purchasing tools from
companies and then getting them replaced under warranty with inferior
tools made overseas - which is the same ****ing thing as buying tools
"Hecho en Mexico" or "Hecho en China".

GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn., July 19 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Pentair, Inc.
(NYSE: PNR - News) announced today that it has concluded its exploration
of strategic alternatives for its wholly owned Tools Group, and that it
has signed a definitive agreement to sell the Group to The Black &
Decker Corporation (NYSE: BDK - News) of Towson, Maryland, for
approximately $775 million. The transaction is expected to close in
2004, following the completion of customary regulatory clearance.
"In the 1990s, Pentair was largely defined by its top-performing tools
businesses but, today, the water and enclosures businesses are the
driving forces in our growth and expansion," said Randall J. Hogan,
Pentair chairman and chief executive officer. "The premier brands
comprising our Tools Group continue to represent great value and have
performed well against their competitors. However, the opportunities we
see in the expansion of our Water and Enclosures Groups made the sale of
the Tools Group a logical step to build greater value for Pentair
shareholders. The Tools Group is a strong business that performed well
for Pentair, and we believe it will continue to grow and prosper under
the ownership of Black & Decker."

Black & Decker is a global manufacturer and marketer of quality power
tools and accessories, hardware and home improvement products, and
technology-based fastening systems.

Pentair's Tools Group comprises the Porter-Cable, Delta, DeVilbiss Air
Power, Oldham Saw, and FLEX brands, among others. The Group employs
approximately 4,200 people at facilities in North America, Europe and Asia.

"Black & Decker is a recognized leader in the power tool industry and
has proven its ability to grow and sustain strong brand names," Hogan
said. "We are very confident that we are placing our Tools Group in the
hands of a team that can further build the tools businesses to benefit
their customers, their suppliers, and their employees."

Pentair noted that the proceeds from the sale of the Tools Group will be
used to pay down debt associated with Pentair's acquisition of WICOR
Industries, which recently was approved by the Federal Trade Commission
and is expected to be complete at the end of July.

"Going forward, with Pentair's full resources focused on the growth and
expansion of the Water and Enclosures Groups, we will become a much
stronger, more nimble company, Hogan said. "We also expect to be much
better positioned to achieve with greater consistency the growth goals
our shareholders expect."

Pentair will report earnings for the second quarter of 2004 on
Wednesday, July 21. A conference call scheduled for 11:00 a.m. CDT that
day will be webcast live via http://www.pentair.com. A link to the
conference call is posted on the site's "Financial Information" page and
will be archived at the same location.

About Pentair, Inc.

Pentair (http://www.pentair.com) is a diversified operating company
headquartered in Minnesota. Its Water Technologies Group is a global
leader in providing innovative products and systems used worldwide in
the movement, treatment, storage and enjoyment of water. Pentair's
Enclosures group is a leader in the global enclosures market, serving
industrial and electronic customers, and its Tools Group markets
innovative products under established brand names to professionals and
do-it-yourself users. Pentair's 2003 revenues totaled $2.7 billion. The
company employs 13,500 people in more than 50 locations around the world.

Any statements made about the company's anticipated financial results
are forward-looking statements subject to risks and uncertainties such
as the ability to complete the sale of the Tools Group on its expected
timetable, the ability to obtain regulatory approvals of the sale of the
Tools Group on anticipated terms and schedule, continued economic
growth; foreign currency effects; retail and industrial demand; product
introductions; and pricing and other competitive pressures.
Forward-looking statements included herein are made as of the date
hereof and the company undertakes no obligation to update publicly such
statements to reflect subsequent events or circumstances. Actual results
could differ materially from anticipated results.

http://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/s...07/story5.html

EXCLUSIVE REPORTS
From the March 4, 2005 print edition
Porter-Cable losing 350 Jackson jobs
Jane Aldinger

JACKSON, Tenn. -- Porter-Cable Corp. is laying off 350 people in Jackson
after being acquired by Black & Decker in October.

Most of the eliminated jobs are manufacturing and assembly positions
that are being shipped south to Reynosa, Mexico. Black & Decker has a
large professional tool facility in Reynosa that will absorb production
being lost in Jackson, says Barbara Lucas, Black & Decker senior vice
president of public affairs.

"These kinds of tools can be easily absorbed in some of our facilities
where we've already got the scale and the efficiencies in place," Lucas
says.

Porter-Cable, a power tool manufacturer, currently employs about 1,650
people in Jackson but that number will decrease to about 1,300 when the
layoffs are complete.

Towson, Md.-based Black & Decker eliminated 75 non-manufacturing jobs in
October, which were mostly staff and support positions from Porter-Cable
and Jackson's DeVilbiss facility. DeVilbiss Air Power was also part of
Black & Decker's acquisition.

In addition to the power tools manufacturing and assembly shift, Black &
Decker is initiating other production movement within its newly acquired
companies. Porter-Cable is relocating a reconditioning operation from
Jackson to Reynosa and another Black & Decker facility in McAllen,
Texas. Lucas says Jackson will see the addition of some router bit
manufacturing from a plant in North Carolina, and the moving of air
compressors from Reynosa to the DeVilbiss facility.

The company could not specify the number of jobs lost and gained within
each division. Lucas says Black & Decker's actions will ultimately
result in the net loss of 350 Jackson jobs, almost exclusively in the
manufacturing arena.

Black & Decker announced its intention to purchase the Tools Group from
Pentair, Inc., in July 2004 and finalized that $775 million transaction
in October. The Tools Group, with 2003 sales of $1.08 billion and
operating profit of $82 million, includes Porter-Cable, Delta, DeVilbiss
Air Power, Oldham Saw and Flex businesses.

Lucas says the company has not announced any other programs or actions
that would eliminate more jobs in Jackson. 1,300 employees is still a
very large presence for Black & Decker in any market, she says.

Paul Latture, president and CEO of the Jackson Chamber of Commerce, says
the sheer size of Black & Decker and Pentair Tools Group dictates job loss.

"When two companies join together, there's obviously going to be
synergies and duplication," Latture says. "It would be our hope that we
have no more job loss than we have and also that this will make Black &
Decker more competitive in the marketplace and Jackson will continue to
be a shining star in their system."

Despite the job loss, Black & Decker is still Jackson's largest
manufacturer. Latture says prospect activity in Jackson is good, and he
hopes to land some active recruits soon. BlueScope Butler was the latest
good news; the steel component manufacturer announced late last year
that it would open a plant in Jackson employing 150 people.

Melissa Rivers, regionalism director with the Memphis Regional Chamber,
says Jackson has taken a hit from Black & Decker, but should rebound soon.

"Any time a community has a loss of 350 jobs, it's a blow to the local
and regional economy," Rivers says. "However, the Jackson Area Chamber
of Commerce has a strong economic development team with a long track
record of success in recruiting manufacturing jobs. We're confident that
they will recover from this very quickly."

Latture is also confident that Jackson's diversified economy will help
those who are losing their jobs find employment elsewhere.

Lucas says Black & Decker will provide severance and job placement
assistance to the unemployed and is making them aware of openings for
transfers. The city of Jackson and Madison County will also work to
match those employees up with different opportunities, Latture says.

Black & Decker, traded on the New York Stock Exchange under ticker
symbol BDK, is a global manufacturer and marketer of quality power tools
and accessories, hardware and home improvement products, and
technology-based fastening systems.

CONTACT staff writer Jane Aldinger at 259-1727 or

© 2005 American City Business Journals Inc.

All contents of this site © American City Business Journals Inc. All
rights reserved.
Old 22-03-2005, 08:08 PM
C. Browder

I have no idea what in the hell this has to do with things for sale in
the RDU area ... but you may as well get used to the fact that less and
less is made in your home land. It's like that everywhere in the world,
with of course the excetpions of Mexico, China and Taiwan. My german
car has a "Assembled in Mexico" sticker on it's doorjam, my American
computer has "Design in california, assembled in Taiwan" on it's
backside, and my Brother printer even have a warning that some parts
are foreign. Americans are consumers, it's what we do best. There are
no televisions made in the USA anymore. Before long there won't be
hardly any real electronics produced on our soil, just imported over
and rebranded to be an american name. It's sad, but, we aren't the only
country facing this: England, France, Spain, hell even Germany are all
outsouring. It's cheaper, better for the global economy, and cheaper
for the consumer. Does it mean it's better... not really. Does it mean
I got my car for $5000 less than it would have cost if it was made in
Germany? Yes. Does that mean I am more lilkely to deal with the minor
electrical problems? no. C'est la vie.

Old 23-03-2005, 05:16 AM
John Smith

"USENET READER" wrote in message
After I decided to renovate my own house to save a shit-load of money
(acting as my own contractor, doing the work myself, keeping that money
here in the USA and not getting sent to Mexico every weekend), I decided
to only buy American or at least whenever possible. Most of the building
supplies are made in the USA (except the wood, and I can't tell where that
is made), but it is hard to find American made tools.

Americans have the highest median household net worth ever. Ditto for the
Mexicans and the Chinese.

Our unemployment is virtually nil. (5% of the people are unemployable).

The global economy is running nicely. We do what we do best and leave the
rest to the Chinese, Mexicans, et al.

Chill out, drop the anger and enjoy living in the most free and prosperous
nation in the history of the world.

By the way...those illegal Mexicans are doing all the hard, nasty jobs
Americans don't want to do. If I lived there, I'd head north, too.

Old 23-03-2005, 05:30 AM
GFRfan

John Smith wrote:
"USENET READER" wrote in message

After I decided to renovate my own house to save a shit-load of money
(acting as my own contractor, doing the work myself, keeping that money
here in the USA and not getting sent to Mexico every weekend), I decided
to only buy American or at least whenever possible. Most of the building
supplies are made in the USA (except the wood, and I can't tell where that
is made), but it is hard to find American made tools.

By the way...those illegal Mexicans are doing all the hard, nasty jobs
Americans don't want to do. If I lived there, I'd head north, too.

No. They do the work that Americans can't do for SLAVE WAGES. Sheeeeesh,
some of you guys are stupid!!!!!!!
Old 23-03-2005, 03:24 PM

I understand your concern, BUT "made in USA" does not mean what it used
to. Good tools are hard to find, made anywhere. lotsa stuff made in USA is
junk, about one notch above China. If you want real tools Made in USA, buy
old ones put in a new cord and brushes.
Folks don't use mexicans because they are cheaper they use them because
they are better. ie. eye for detail, plumb is plumb, square is square not
"'bout rite, nailer"
Back in the old country (here) carpenters sons beat nails into scrap lumber
w/ wobbly headed hammers till they could do it, when given a real hammer
they were nail dirving machines. Now the sons play x-box while dad runs a
crew of mexicans. When the sons get to be teens and want work one of dads
friends will "give him a try"
and will find the kid is useless, lazy and weak,too cold , too cold,
hungover on mon, stoned on fri.....After a few weeks the boss man lets the
kid go, stops by the pantry and picks up a mex for a few $ more / Hr. He has
someone that can run tools, does not bitch, says "Yes sir bossman" whatever
is asked..
All the mexs I have seen that work for "slave wages" are unskilled drunks
that will show up. Showing up is one thing bosses love and value.

[...]

From the March 4, 2005 print edition

Old 23-03-2005, 03:42 PM
USENET READER

"Americans are consumers - it's what we do best" is a stupid,
head-in-the-sand comment. You have been sold a bill of goods by the
corporate elite who want to move all the production overseas to lower
their production costs due to lower wages, taxes and other bothersome
issues (workplace health & safety and environmental protection laws).
They make money and you get screwed by losing jobs or making less money
than you did in your last job. Sure - you can buy a TV now for less
money than you did before, but it dies on you sooner and you have to go
back and spend money on a new TV every couple of years. The TVs are so
cheap that it isn't worth fixing them.

There are few TV repairmen around - hell, few people who can repair
anything electric anymore. Verizon got rid of their Marconi diagnostic
machines - they diagnose problems with cell phones these days by calling
your phone right there in the store and asking "can you hear me now"
good!" and if you can hear them, your phone is working and there is
nothing they can or will do about it, except swap out phones if your
phone is under warranty - usually with a refurbished unit. If your
phone has intermittent problems, you are screwed unless the phone acts
up while you are in the store.

It might be cheaper for the consumer and better for the global economy -
but not for our nation as a whole!

If we only consume and don't produce, how will we earn the income needed
to buy the things that are made overseas?

And if we don't produce anything here, what will people from overseas
buy from us with the money that we send over there for the junk they make?

Eventually we will all work either in Wal-Mart or McDonalds, or as temp
contractors for software companies (as testers only - because all the
actual programming will be done in India, Vietnam, China and Russia, and
all the CS work will be done in India or wherever else they can speak
English in the developing world). Of course, that will all change when
the standard of living over there starts to really grow, and ours
declines severely. Then we can go back to manufacturing stuff for the
western Pacific rim countries. By that time, America will have become a
thirld-world economic if not a political power.

God help us, because the dingleberries in Washington can't or won't -
they are too busy giving a "reach-around" to their corporate masters.

Old 23-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Griffin

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 04:22:14 GMT, USENET READER
wrote:

After I decided to renovate my own house ...

.... snip

Interesting discussion, but ..
this thread was (probably accidentally ?) cross posted to both
"alt.home.lawn.garden" and " triangle.forsale". Please attempt to
post any future replies on this thread to "alt.home.lawn.garden" only
(it is off topic on tri.forsale). Thanks.

PS. To the original poster, if you do wish to post similar topics to
a Triangle. newsgroup. Try "triangle.general" which is active with
lots of interesting discussions.

Old 23-03-2005, 09:02 PM
USENET READER

I understand your concern, BUT "made in USA" does not mean what it used
to. Good tools are hard to find, made anywhere. lotsa stuff made in USA is
junk, about one notch above China. If you want real tools Made in USA, buy
old ones put in a new cord and brushes.

Folks don't use mexicans because they are cheaper they use them because
they are better. ie. eye for detail, plumb is plumb, square is square not
"'bout rite, nailer"

Sorry - they don't use them because they are better - they use them
because they are cheaper. I have seen the houses in my neighborhood
these Mexicans build - they do work like dogs, and about as smart as one
too! They are only there because they work cheap and not smart. They
don't put housewrap behind the siding, and they don't seal or flash the
windows, etc.

Back in the old country (here) carpenters sons beat nails into scrap lumber
w/ wobbly headed hammers till they could do it, when given a real hammer
they were nail dirving machines. Now the sons play x-box while dad runs a
crew of mexicans. When the sons get to be teens and want work one of dads
friends will "give him a try"
and will find the kid is useless, lazy and weak,too cold , too cold,
hungover on mon, stoned on fri.....After a few weeks the boss man lets the
kid go, stops by the pantry and picks up a mex for a few $ more / Hr. He has
someone that can run tools, does not bitch, says "Yes sir bossman" whatever
is asked..

What planet did you come from? What father or mother doesn't want a
better life for their children? Maybe the kid will use his X-Box
hacking skills to get a job in computers? Do you have a problem with that?

I happen to have a skill set that enables me to take a couple of months
off and build my house to make sure it's done right. It also happens to
be at a time of year when a lot of disgusting clients want me to work
for them, and this give me the opportunity to say I have other plans.

All the mexs I have seen that work for "slave wages" are unskilled drunks
that will show up. Showing up is one thing bosses love and value.

Even if you got a drunk installing your siding, windows, plumbing, etc.?
Your house is your most valuable investment, and I damn sure won't be
letting some careless drunk dude work on my house simply because he
shows up.

And these businesses wonder why their insurance costs go up when they
hire drunken illegal aliens to do all the work and use cheap tools? Buy
good American-made tools (if you can find them), hire Americans or legal
immigrants, pay them a living wage, and you won't have these problems.
You will have a well-built house that you will be proud to live in that
will have few if any problems with it.

[...]

From the March 4, 2005 print edition

Old 23-03-2005, 09:37 PM
Daniel B. Martin

USENET READER wrote:

I have seen the houses in my neighborhood
these Mexicans build - they do work like dogs, and about as smart as one
too! They are only there because they work cheap and not smart. They
don't put housewrap behind the siding, and they don't seal or flash the
windows, etc.

A friend bought a house in one of those large subdivisions where they
build not one house at a time but a whole street at a time. He looked
at a model house, liked it, and signed a contract. He and I watched
every step of the construction, starting with ground breaking.

I am not "in the biz" but have a lifelong interest in residential
construction and can tell good from bad. The framing crew was 100%
Mexican and I was worried about workmanship. However I was pleased to
see them do everything carefully and "right." These guys were skilled.
They worked quickly but there was no sloppiness, no improper
shortcuts taken.

Carpenters who omit housewrap or flashing are doing what the boss told
them to do. Mexican, Anglo, or other, you have to do what the boss
says. If the boss provides substandard materials, who is to blame?
Not the carpenter.

Daniel B. Martin
Old 23-03-2005, 11:18 PM
kaasie

Can someone remove this crap?
And post followup messages somewhere else?

Old 23-03-2005, 11:39 PM
Brad Fayette

Daniel B. Martin wrote:
USENET READER wrote:

[...]

You are absolutly correct. The people who come here from Mexico are by
and large very hard working and industrious. More so than many
Americans with their lousy entitlement attitudes. Frank Zappa put it
pretty well:

"I'm a moron 'n' this is my wife
She's frosting a cake
With a paper knife
All what we got here's
American made
It's a little bit cheesey,
But it's nicely displayed
Well we don't get excited when it
Crumbles 'n' breaks
We just get on the phone
And call up some Flakes
They rush on over
'N' wreck it some more
'N' we are so dumb
They're linin' up at our door
Well, the toilet went crazy
Yesterday afternoon
The plumber he says
"Never flush a tampoon!"
This great information
Cost me half a week's pay
And the toilet blew up
Later on the next day"

and I don't think he was talking about Mexicans.

Old 24-03-2005, 01:32 AM

I am a Chinese, a programmer, came to the USA in 1998. for the first
few years I was working in Chinese restaurant collecting every dollar
from the table paying my tuition fee and living expense. After several
years slave work I went through college and got my very first job in
the US. The life of working and studying at the same time was tough but
I found myself very happy with the life I have. This country has so
much to offer I totally fell in love at the first moment of landing my
feet on this soil. I don't need to be upset or disappointing anymore
with my government that don't protect their own people. People are a
lot nicer here. race discrimination? none of them in my memory. Hell,
dogs like dogs fish hang around with fish. don't expect dog and cat be
best pal at the first second. trust takes time to build between human
being anywhere. There are good people and bad people in every culture,
every nation and every race. There are millions people in America why
we simply group them by their skin color? How stupid! I know who I am
and what I have to offer to this country. I volunteer helping the
senior fix their computer, helping non-profit organization for their
web site. I enjoy being a good citizen and enjoy the reward of my hard
work.

but this heavenly life not last too long, it ends on sep 11 2001. If
any sooner, should be on election day back to year 2000. I watch this
country heading the wrong road and most Americans not aware what's
going to happen next. yet 2004 is another heart broken year. I found my
soul was tortured by stupid government again, this time is the one I
have most admiration with in the past. at the same time look what
happen in China, I was heading the wrong side of pacific ocean. I
should stay in china start a company take outsourcing orders from
wealthy country.

Let's get back to outsourcing, yes it's good for global economic, but
American and other wealthy country citizen pay the bill for this trendy
buzz word. I didn't realize how serious outsourcing is until I tried to
hire a part time programmer. I received overwhelming outsourcing
request emails even I just hire a part time person! while politic
shaking hands and sign free trade agreement, American starting losing
jobs, house going foreclosure, health care too high to afford put this
most powerful country in shame. The foundation of this country starts
to crash, not crash overnight, like a frog in a slow cook pot. death is
not right on the eye bow but it's knocking the door. when citizen don't
have jobs who pays tax? if no tax how can government has money? if
government doesn't have money who pay for the military? if military
broke the most powerful country just a joke. By then America not only a
third world economic but also a forth world power.

the sad thing is, most Americans shopping at wal-mart on their credit
card don't have as much strong reaction as they suppose regarding the
fact "made in othernation" label flooding every shelf. if the statement
"Americans are consumers - it's what we do best" is true, then
Americans at least has one last card to play "don't buy". don't talk to
the call center locate in India, boycott shopping seasons etc. very
soon American will realize they even don't have this "don't
buy" power anymore. I don't mean to say we don't need international
trade, but the ratio needs to be manageable. I use to admire
America's democrat system when I was in china, now I am in America I
realize democracy a lot worser than totalism sometimes. A wise old
Chinese leader will pick Al Gore over GWB, will pick Hower Dean over
John Kerry. something so simple and deadly critical but Americans can't
figure it out! The elected president present the best interest of
majority American is the biggest joke this century.

Bottom line, if the government don't look out for you, you need to
look out for yourself, take actions before it's too late.

God bless all of us

Old 24-03-2005, 01:36 AM
Oscar_Lives

****ing xenophobe....

[...]

From the March 4, 2005 print edition
[...]

BDK, is a global manufacturer and marketer of quality power tools and

Old 25-03-2005, 07:22 PM
USENET READER

Do you think that we have a lousy entitlement attitude when it comes to
wanting a living wage from a hard, backbreaking job like construction?
Like wanting a workplace where the hazards are brought to a minimum, so
a worker doesn't have to risk life and limb for a minimum-wage job?
Like wanting a fair share of the profits from a job where you labored to
make a profit for the contractor?

Most of the workplace accidents and deaths in the US today are among the
hard-working Mexicans who either don't know or don't care about working
safe on the job, or from their bosses who either don't encourage them to
work safe or won't let them work safe (it impacts the bottom line too
much to work safe).

If you say that wanting to work safely and get a decent living wage is a
sign of a lousy entitlement attitude, what sort of attitude is it when
the bosses break the law every which way - inadequate health and
workplace safety training and precautions, hiring illegal workers, etc.?
Why do you stick up for the interests of the bosses against the
American worker each and every time?