Old 11-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Frank Rosenbaum

For an added incentive, if you have a video camera, get pictures of the dog
on your property.

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
"Jibby" wrote in message
Hi,

Does anyone have any ideas on how to prevent my neighbor's dog from using
my yard as it's own personal toilet? I am disabled and use a power
wheelchair and there is nothing worse than getting dog crap on a wheel
(especially since I can't clean the wheels myself). I don't want to put
up a fence, and speaking to the neighbors about it has been no help.

Thanks,
Jibby

Very easy. The general theme is that you never, EVER cut a dog owner any
slack. Period. No slack. If you were repeatedly crapping on their lawn,
they would cut YOU no slack. You'd be arrested, and probably interviewed
by a psychologist, who would report to the judge that you needed a bit of
therapy. The dog owner is no different - the dog is just an extension of
the human who's supposed to be responsible for it.

1) Call your town and find out how many times a dog has to be off its
property before the dog catcher is allowed to remove the animal
permanently. For instance, in my town, it's 3 offenses. The dog catcher
has to come over and issue citations. They come with steadily increasing
fines, none of which are enough, but anyway....when incident #3 comes
along, the dog catcher is required to take away the dog. Depending on just
how big of an asshole the owner is when it appears before the judge,
there's a good chance it will not get the dog back.

2) Inform the neighbor that they have a problem, give them 30 seconds to
think, and then ask them for a commitment to stop the problem immediately.
That means "never again". Not "I'll start next week because this week, 'As
The World Turns' is so exciting that I can't get off my fat ass to walk
the dog and clean up after it".

3) Their response to #2 will usually be "Oh....sorry....I didn't know it
bothered anyone", or "I didn't know the dog was leaving the property".
Both are lies. Accept what they say because you can't fix their minds
anyway. There could be other responses, and the specifics will be useful
insofar as telling you whether to watch for their dog immediately, or the
next day. But, the behavior will not stop.

4) Start calling the dog catcher. Many years ago, ours told me he had to
witness the dog being off the property before he could do anything. That's
not true, and a judge will confirm it if you're given that line. Normally,
it takes a few weeks or more for 3 complaints to be made, but some dog
owners are so intensely stupid that you can actually have the animal gone
in a week. I've done it. It's great fun.

Keep in mind that the dog catcher is required to respond and do his or her
job. Do not accept any excuses. Remember, too, that dog owners' offenses
are 100% intentional. They know exactly what they're doing, and they don't
care what effect is has on anyone else.

Good luck!

Old 12-10-2005, 03:40 AM
Gntry

The problem I see with that system is you have to live next door to this
guy, or gal, how do you do it? now every time your kids ride their bikes up
his/her driveway they bitch, I love dogs, but not this one, I want to find a
way to "take the mutt out" I have one next door that barks from the minute
she is let out until gramma remembers she let the dog out and lets it back
in. I mean this stupid thing barks at everything, bugs, leaves, I'm not
talking 5-10 minutes, I'm talking 25 to 30 minutes at a crack five or six
times a day. When asked why you let your dog bark so long the answer I got
was "that's what dogs do!" it's her exercise! OH, I forgot to mention that
this mutt paces the fence too. OH, for a 22. cal slug in it's head.....

Old 12-10-2005, 12:04 PM
Frank Rosenbaum

Call the animal control people in your area. There are ordinances relating
to barking dogs. I know that a 22 will feel satisfying, but in most areas
you will be arrested. Now, if your goal was to get away from the barking
dog, that will work, but then you will have a criminal record and a
reputation for animal cruelty . . . . no matter how bad the animal needed
'correction'. But again, it is not the animal per-se that is at fault, it is
the owners who let the dog bark for that long.

Do you have the woman's phone number? Call her every five minutes while the
dog is barking to remind her that the police might be interested that she is
disturbing the peace.

Do you have a super soaker? If she won't or can't train the dog, a squirt of
water should work when the dog barks.

Before you do any thing get video. It might help with your defence, if it
comes to that.

Old 16-10-2005, 03:32 AM
Doug Eilertson

Default Neighbor's dog crapping in my yard

I had a similar problem. After I put a couple of beebee's in the dog's hind
end, he never came back.

Old 16-10-2005, 07:29 PM
dave

Dude, this is an easy fix.

I had a neighbor who always let her mut crap on my lawn. I met her out
there one afternoon and I told her that I was going in for lunch. I
told her that I was going to make a BLT sandwich, and come out and pour
all of the bacon grease on her dogs turd, and tomorrow at this time,
her dog is going to come by and eat it.

She returned with a bag and cleaned up her dogs mess and never came by
after that.
She also told me that I was disgusting. Oh wellllll !