Old 03-05-2007, 08:24 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Default Dealing with my Neighbor's Yard

My Nighbor's yard has a lot of Chick weed as well as another type of weed
that has overgrowwn and come onto my yard. I basically gave him a choice to
make. Either He allows me to treat his yard at his expense, or he gets a
punch in the nose everytime I have work in my yard. swell he choose the
former. We applied Lesco's Broad leaf weed killer (O O 8) last week and we
can already see a difference. It's says not to reseed for 4 weeks. My
question is,what is the easiest way to pull up the dead weeds that the Lesco
product is killing, Airation, thatching or another. I don't know if this is
important or not But we are located in New Jersey. Thanks

Old 04-05-2007, 12:07 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Peter Pan wrote:
My Nighbor's yard has a lot of Chick weed as well as another type of weed
that has overgrowwn and come onto my yard. I basically gave him a choice to
make. Either He allows me to treat his yard at his expense, or he gets a
punch in the nose everytime I have work in my yard. swell he choose the
former. We applied Lesco's Broad leaf weed killer (O O 8) last week and we
can already see a difference. It's says not to reseed for 4 weeks. My
question is,what is the easiest way to pull up the dead weeds that the Lesco
product is killing, Airation, thatching or another. I don't know if this is
important or not But we are located in New Jersey. Thanks

The easiest way is not to pull them up at all! ;-)

How big is the area?

BTH

Old 04-05-2007, 01:25 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

Peter Pan wrote:
the lot is 1/3 of an acre

If it was small enough I was going to suggest shaving the organic
matter off with a shovel, but that sounds like too big of a job (might
be what you meant by "thatching").

Maybe you can rent a rotary hoe and plough it all under, once the
whole lot is dead? Or were you just getting rid of *some* of the
existing grass? It's often easier to kill off the whole lot with
glyphosate (Roundup, etc.) and start from scratch.

BTH

Old 04-05-2007, 01:55 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Peter Pan wrote:

My Nighbor's yard has a lot of Chick weed as well as another type of weed
that has overgrowwn and come onto my yard. I basically gave him a choice to
make. Either He allows me to treat his yard at his expense, or he gets a
punch in the nose

you were joking about the punch in the nose, right?

Old 04-05-2007, 02:42 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Jim" wrote in message
Peter Pan wrote:

My Nighbor's yard has a lot of Chick weed as well as another type of weed
that has overgrowwn and come onto my yard. I basically gave him a choice
make. Either He allows me to treat his yard at his expense, or he gets a
punch in the nose

you were joking about the punch in the nose, right?

Yes I was joking... truth of the matter is, he's just not a yard guy, I did
use The Jedi mind trick on him and he allowing me to help treat his yard.
The last few years he really didn't care one way or the other how it looked
and now he turned his view around so I'd like to help him as much as I can

Old 04-05-2007, 03:28 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Jim Jim is offline

Peter Pan wrote:

Jim wrote:
Peter Pan wrote:

[....]
or he gets a
punch in the nose

you were joking about the punch in the nose, right?

Yes I was joking...

[....]

I'm glad you were just joking.
Old 04-05-2007, 12:41 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 3, 9:28 pm, Jim wrote:
Peter Pan wrote:
Jim wrote:
Peter Pan wrote:

[....]
or he gets a
punch in the nose

you were joking about the punch in the nose, right?

Yes I was joking...

[....]

I'm glad you were just joking.

Usually, you don't get rid of the weeds that die, you just keep mowing
and they disappear. Sounds like you must have more weeds than grass.

Old 04-05-2007, 12:44 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 4, 6:41 am, wrote:
On May 3, 9:28 pm, Jim wrote:

Peter Pan wrote:
Jim wrote:
Peter Pan wrote:

[....]
or he gets a
punch in the nose

you were joking about the punch in the nose, right?
Yes I was joking...

[....]

I'm glad you were just joking.

Usually, you don't get rid of the weeds that die, you just keep mowing
and they disappear. Sounds like you must have more weeds than grass.

PS: You mentioned that you can't reseed for 4 weeks. I'd forget
about reseeding until Sept. If you wanted to seed in Spring, it
should have been done a month ago.

Old 05-05-2007, 01:13 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I was told by the LESCO guy that the ground at that time was still too cold
to apply the fertizler that we just used, he said it needed to warm up some.
Here in NJ it's been rather below the adverage temp for a while. And here Al
Gore says we're suffereing from global warming HA!! what does he know.
I didn't know that if we seeded now we can not do it again in the fall. can
you tell me why that is, I always thought you could seed 2x a year. but
then again I'm not a professional, I only play one on TV
Thanks

wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 4, 6:41 am, wrote:
On May 3, 9:28 pm, Jim wrote:

Peter Pan wrote:
Jim wrote:

[....]

Old 05-05-2007, 01:05 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 4, 7:13 pm, "Peter Pan" wrote:
I was told by the LESCO guy that the ground at that time was still too cold
to apply the fertizler that we just used, he said it needed to warm up some.

If the product your talking about is a weed n feed type, his concern
may have been that the herbicide contained in the product would not be
as effective since many of the weeds were not growing as actively at
that time. Otherwise, there is no reason you couldn't have put down
fertilizer at that time to benefit the lawn.

Here in NJ it's been rather below the adverage temp for a while. And here Al
Gore says we're suffereing from global warming HA!! what does he know.
I didn't know that if we seeded now we can not do it again in the fall. can
you tell me why that is, I always thought you could seed 2x a year. but
then again I'm not a professional, I only play one on TV
Thanks

I didn't say you couldn't do it again in the Fall. I just said, if
you haven't done it yet, I would not do it till Fall. You just
applied a herbicide that says you can't seed for 4 weeks. That puts
you into June. At that point, it's difficult. Sure, you can do it.
But it's going to take a hell of a lot of water to keep the ground
constantly damp. And then you have turf with very little root going
into July/August, which means plenty of water then too. And you have
cool season grass, which prefers to slow down growth or go dormant in
hot weather. And with plenty of water and sparse turf comes plenty
of weeds. And finally, keeping the grass constantly wet during hot
weather is the perfect prescription for fungus and disease. If you
wait till Fall, you have nature on your side. Bottom line, if I had
a small patch to reseed, I'd do it, but not attempt a whole lawn
renovation type project.

Wait till early Sept, then rent a slice seeder and do it right. And
depending on what condition the lawn is in, you may want to just kill
the whole thing a week before. For example, if the existing grass is
of poor quality, rough, not a great color, disease prone, etc, then
I'd get rid of it all, and start over with a good high quality seed of
the appropriate type.

wrote in message

oups.com...

On May 4, 6:41 am, wrote:
On May 3, 9:28 pm, Jim wrote:

Peter Pan wrote:
Jim wrote:
Peter Pan wrote:

[....]
or he gets a
punch in the nose

you were joking about the punch in the nose, right?
Yes I was joking...

[....]

I'm glad you were just joking.

Usually, you don't get rid of the weeds that die, you just keep mowing
and they disappear. Sounds like you must have more weeds than grass.

PS: You mentioned that you can't reseed for 4 weeks. I'd forget
about reseeding until Sept. If you wanted to seed in Spring, it
should have been done a month ago.- Hide quoted text -

Old 05-05-2007, 02:01 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

"Peter Pan" wrote in message
. ..
My Nighbor's yard has a lot of Chick weed as well as another type of weed
that has overgrowwn and come onto my yard. I basically gave him a choice
to make. Either He allows me to treat his yard at his expense, or he gets
a punch in the nose everytime I have work in my yard. swell he choose the
former. We applied Lesco's Broad leaf weed killer (O O 8) last week and
we can already see a difference. It's says not to reseed for 4 weeks. My
question is,what is the easiest way to pull up the dead weeds that the
Lesco product is killing, Airation, thatching or another. I don't know if
this is important or not But we are located in New Jersey. Thanks

I think you should kill his dog and rape his wife ;-)

Mich...

Old 08-05-2007, 05:36 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

I am waiting a little longer still before I seed. I think it will be done
in 4 to 6 weeks, but doesn't matter when you start, the end is the end.

More than a few times I have tried to get the jump on watering seeds, and
more than a few times I watered at least twice a day for over a month, and
only some came up. I'm in Toronto, not too far from NJ, and I am going to
wait a little longer to put seeds down. If you read the bag the temp has to
stay above 15 C I think, which it is not here yet; but also states a high of
25C I think, it may be other. Anyways, the performance was so poor, and
took so long, that I assumed it was my technique. You can still water seeds
if it is cold, but I think you are almost wasting ALL that time, as the temp
has be in the ideal range, which mother nature takes care of for you if you
wait. You will be waiting anyways. I think the bag says ideal range is
15-25C. When temp is always in there, with the least amount out of that
range I think is the time to do it. Not before, not after, probably. If I
wait a couple weeks more and it doesn't work then, here in TO, then it can't
do done.

The weed killer kills the grass seed, not the grass, but not sure for
exactly how long in practice.

Old 08-05-2007, 08:07 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

On May 8, 11:36 am, "bent" wrote:
I am waiting a little longer still before I seed. I think it will be done
in 4 to 6 weeks, but doesn't matter when you start, the end is the end.

It makes a big difference when you start. Early Sept is drastically
different from July.

More than a few times I have tried to get the jump on watering seeds, and
more than a few times I watered at least twice a day for over a month, and
only some came up. I'm in Toronto, not too far from NJ, and I am going to
wait a little longer to put seeds down. If you read the bag the temp has to
stay above 15 C I think, which it is not here yet; but also states a high of
25C I think, it may be other. Anyways, the performance was so poor, and
took so long, that I assumed it was my technique.

If you think you should wait another 4-6 weeks to seed in Toronto,
then it is your technique that is causing problems. That puts you
in summer, which is the worst time. For cool season grass to
germinate, you need soil temps in the 50F's. With daytime temps in
the 60's/70's , you have that now. Also, watering 2 times a day may
be OK in late Sept, but it isn't going to keep the soil surface and
seed constantly wet in June/July, which is why that time is prime for
failure. In that period, you would have to water every few hours
during the day to keep it wet. Plus, you then are in July/Aug, high
heat and stress periods with just seedlings. If you seed in Sept, the
plants have 6 mths to establish roots before the stress of summer hot
weather. If you don't have the ability to deliver lots of water,
they're gonna die. And if you do water a lot, you get weeds plus a
prime breeding ground for fungus and disease.

Fall is the best time to seed because everything is on your side.
Spring is second best, which here in NJ would have been a month ago.
Here I'd still seed a couple small spots now, but I would never start
a general seeding at this late date.

While you think your low germination is due to temperature, I'll bet
it's be it's due to other factors, like poor seed/soil contact.

You can still water seeds
if it is cold, but I think you are almost wasting ALL that time, as the temp
has be in the ideal range, which mother nature takes care of for you if you
wait. You will be waiting anyways. I think the bag says ideal range is
15-25C. When temp is always in there, with the least amount out of that
range I think is the time to do it. Not before, not after, probably. If I
wait a couple weeks more and it doesn't work then, here in TO, then it can't
do done.

The weed killer kills the grass seed, not the grass, but not sure for
exactly how long in practice.

Not sure what this means.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:58 PM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden

You're right, I may need to water more frequently than I do, i.e. more than
twice daily. However I stand by everything I said . Here in Toronto, it
wasn't until the last day or two that the temperature did not drop down
into low single digits consistently for nights (great part of all of our 24
hour periods). That has to be balanced (equally?) with the period above
around 25C, a very small number so far.

Scotts Turfbuilder Kentucky Bluegrass bag says:

"Seed germinates best when temperatures are consistently 15 to 26C
(60-80F)."
"Seed will not germinate well once temperatures are consistently above 26C."

BUT it does also say

Early spring, when temps are 5-21C (40-70F) is the ideal time to seed."

You may think you have won, but I reject your reality and substitute my own.
But I'm in a diff place (Toronto), I am looking at the temps here, and my
past experience. I think temps will be consistently too high soon. I think
it will take a month, start to finish, before all watering can stop. Thats
under the very best of circumstances. Anything else not being as they are
(starting now) would only add to this month.