Old 06-04-2006, 03:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

Default How do you keep track of your orchids?

I am trying to compile a eletronic tracking log of all my orchids
including pictures of the blooms, problems, culture and comments in
word and I was wondering if anyone had a simpler way?

Jack

P.S. Cordelia Head of J & L Orchids gave a great presentation last
night at the Alaska Orchid Society meeting on minitures. Now I have
another five more to document, but the nice thing about them being
minitures is that I have space to fit them. (Leptotes Bicolor,
Masdevallia exquisita, Aerangis citrata, Angraecum eburneum, and a
Odontoglossum seedling, I won as a door prize)

Old 06-04-2006, 03:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny

I switched my Aerangis citrata from a mount to a semi-hydro pot about a year
ago, and it's doing great.
-danny

ups.com...

Old 06-04-2006, 01:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jadel

They don't move much; it isn't too hard. (annoying emoticon here)

J. Del Col

Old 06-04-2006, 03:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
wendy7

Hi Jack, You can make your own simple data base using Microsoft Access or
you could purchase a full blown program.
I have this one, made by our very own ProfPam.

http://home.earthlink.net/~profpam/page3.html

--
Cheers Wendy

Remove PETERPAN for email reply

Old 06-04-2006, 07:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Hi, Jack,

I'm just using an Excel spreadsheet, to which I add a hyperlink for
pictures. You can customize it to add any info you like, of course.

Diana

Old 06-04-2006, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Niek Hanckmann

Jack,
You call Angraecum eburneum a miniature? Just wonder what your
definition of a medium sized plant is (let alone a large plant) ;-)

About keeping track of my orchids, I myself am still looking for a good
way of doing it too. I had my collection in a old version of
Cattleya-log, but since I forgot to copy it to my new pc (everything was
in the programs dir, instead of the documents dir), I didn't have the
courage to start all over again.

Greets, Niek

Old 06-04-2006, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
tbell

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 19:07:20 -0700, Jack wrote
(in article . com):

I am trying to compile a eletronic tracking log of all my orchids
including pictures of the blooms, problems, culture and comments in
word and I was wondering if anyone had a simpler way?

Jack

P.S. Cordelia Head of J & L Orchids gave a great presentation last
night at the Alaska Orchid Society meeting on minitures. Now I have
another five more to document, but the nice thing about them being
minitures is that I have space to fit them. (Leptotes Bicolor,
Masdevallia exquisita, Aerangis citrata, Angraecum eburneum, and a
Odontoglossum seedling, I won as a door prize)

Hi, Jack -
I know there is software out there specifically for the purpose, but I've
been very happy with a database I constructed in Appleworks. If you're not
lucky enough to be using a Mac, you could probably create something similar
with MS Word, though I was completely mystified by Word Help in trying to
figure out how to form a database. If you'd be interested in seeing the
layout of mine, e-mail me at tbmdREMOVETHISatmacdotcom, with appropriate
alterations of the address.
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D70

Old 06-04-2006, 10:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

Wow, Niek, I missed that in the original post. My eburneum is the Agrcm.
that ate Florida, LOL! We have to repot it soon, and it's going to be a big,
big job. Jack, it takes lots of light and water, BTW.

Diana

. ..

Old 06-04-2006, 11:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Because every grower is different, there is no universally perfect db. I
was reasonably happy for many years with a share-ware program called just
"orchid.db," but I don't think the author updated it when Windows went from
3.x to 95 [if s/he is lurking here, I'd be pleased to be corrected on that].
I've not tried Pam's product, altho I've heard good things about it.
Cattleya-log meets most of the basic needs, and there are others out there.
--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

ups.com...

Old 06-04-2006, 11:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

Thanks for the help and info, It'll take a while to go through it, I'm
working 24 on/24off this week

jack

Old 07-04-2006, 04:13 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

See that is what sleep depervation will do to you, well let me qualify
that, the rest of my agrcms are small plants, and I'm trying to get a
species collection of them....so I grabbed what was avalible and ran
(uh what is the size? it's not goint to turn into a "Little shop of
horrors" is it?)

Jack

Old 07-04-2006, 08:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Diana Kulaga

(uh what is the size? it's not goint to turn into a "Little shop of
horrors" is it?)

Yep! If mine were currently hanging upright, which it is not, it would
measure about four and a half feet from the top of the largest fan to the
tips of the roots. Of course, when it blooms the spikes are quite long.

Prepare to add a grow room.........

Diana G

Old 08-04-2006, 02:35 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Jack

Oh damn, well I guess I should be happy it dosen't drink blood :{
Jack

Oh well, I guess I can use it for shade later

Old 08-04-2006, 01:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Niek Hanckmann

Oh damn, well I guess I should be happy it dosen't drink blood :{
Oh well, I guess I can use it for shade later

I wouldn't be so sure about that! Just remember: don't fall asleep
underneath it! Beware of the killer orchid. LOL

Greets, Niek

Old 11-04-2006, 12:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Susan Erickson

On Thu, 6 Apr 2006 13:42:13 -0700, tbell wrote:

On Wed, 5 Apr 2006 19:07:20 -0700, Jack wrote
(in article . com):
Hi, Jack -
I know there is software out there specifically for the purpose, but I've
been very happy with a database I constructed in Appleworks. If you're not
lucky enough to be using a Mac, you could probably create something similar
with MS Word, though I was completely mystified by Word Help in trying to
figure out how to form a database. If you'd be interested in seeing the
layout of mine, e-mail me at tbmdREMOVETHISatmacdotcom, with appropriate
alterations of the address.
Tom
Walnut Creek, CA
Nikon D70

Tom -
Word is generally only a document editor.
Excel is sometimes used as a database substitute.
But Access is the MS Office Database.

Jack -
Access is easy to work with.
It is easy to set up a table of sources/Vendors
A table of names (so you don't have to spell)
and a table that is your list of plants.
We have moved the pix to the web and keep just a yes/no checkbox on
the fact we have a pix in bloom.
You can set fields up for any item you wish. Name, hybrid, clone, date
purchased, date deleted, reason - sale/death, shown awards, pix,
vendor, notes.

I no longer keep track of dates on potting. I know I am behind. I
tried the colored tags. Alternate color for alternate years. So on the
blue year any yellows were over due. But it was like trying to date
the database - I would grab the wrong one when I was working or forget
to put it in.