Old 31-07-2006, 03:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Repotting help

2 more orchids fresh from home depot. I am really not sure how to go about
repotting these two as I have never gotten one with root growth structures
like this. Both of these are currently in 6 inch pots

http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/repot1.jpg and
http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/repot.jpg On this one, I assume cut off
the yellow leaves and then maybe repot up to the level of the lowest leaf?

http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/repot2.jpg and
http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/repot3.jpg
IN this one it looks like 4 younger leaves at the soil level , then abare
area with a whole lot of roots(?) coming out, then a lot of more mature
leaves This is a Dtps Brother Vanessa Hannay "Deleon #1" if it makes any
difference at all. Just repot at the leve l of the lower leaves?

Old 31-07-2006, 04:53 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 21:48:57 -0500, "Bruce Musgrove"
wrote:
http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/repot2.jpg and
http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/repot3.jpg
IN this one it looks like 4 younger leaves at the soil level , then abare
area with a whole lot of roots(?) coming out, then a lot of more mature
leaves This is a Dtps Brother Vanessa Hannay "Deleon #1" if it makes any
difference at all. Just repot at the leve l of the lower leaves?

This plant appears to have a basal keiki. That is a baby growing
below the main plant off the base stem of the main plant. Treat it
gently when you take it out of the pot. You should be able to grow
Mom and the baby if your careful. On the other hand if the mix is not
rotting you may want to wait to repot until baby is larger.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids
Old 31-07-2006, 10:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

As both are apparently in bloom, I wouldn't repot now unless that first
plant (with the dead leaves - just pull them off) is in such badly
decomposed medium that it's an immediate "must".

In the case of that one, when you do unpot it, you'll likely find a brown
"stump" with few- to no viable roots. I would trim off any root structure
that looks suspicious, and repot about an inch deeper than it currently is,
submerging the lower of the aerial roots and leaving the upper ones right at
the surface.

I agree with Sue on the one with the apparent basal growth. The moss, by
the way, looks OK in the photo, so unless you "don't do" sphagnum, it may
not need to be repotted yet.

Old 01-08-2006, 12:29 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The mix probably is rotting. They were sitting in standing stagnant water
when "rescued" from Home Depot, and have tons of fungus gnats..

I had seen keiki's on my Dendrobium and Cattleya hybrids, and they (of
course) looked quite a bit different.....

Old 01-08-2006, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Not experienced enough to "not do" any thing at this time So far I
have been trying bark and Sphagnum (so called "pal " mixes from home depot,
with added sphagnum )mixes simply because they seem to dry out to fast with
straight bark and I do not remember to water until the weekends!!!!! So far
it seems to be working good as most of the plants have several new shoots
and keiki's on them. Only two of the 10 or so are not doing well in it.
Thos may very well be victims of dividing for my first time.

Thank you for your advice

. ..

Old 01-08-2006, 01:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 18:34:06 -0500, "Bruce Musgrove"
wrote:

Thos may very well be victims of dividing for my first time.

Best divide advice I can give a newcomer - Make the plant twice as big
and you think it needs to be. Most of us will only divide a Catt when
it has about 10 growths so that each division will be GUARANTEED 4
good growths. Then if one of the growths is damaged ( new eye smashed
- yes it happens) or cane or bulb broke off on it's own, there is
enough material to still have 2 viable plants.

If I just MUST keep a plant to a size limit - I will cut off the
oldest bulb with the idea it is going in the trash. I know that the
plant will not bloom to the potential it might have with the extra
boost I just threw out. The only good reason to go less than 4
growths is to get ahead of rot in an attempt to save a plant that was
in danger of dying.
Old 01-08-2006, 01:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 18:29:42 -0500, "Bruce Musgrove"
wrote:

The mix probably is rotting. They were sitting in standing stagnant water
when "rescued" from Home Depot, and have tons of fungus gnats..

I had seen keiki's on my Dendrobium and Cattleya hybrids, and they (of
course) looked quite a bit different.....

A Phal can have a keiki form on the spike or off one side of the base
of the plant. Since you think the mix is bad.. FIND OUT! Tip the
plant out and check what is going on the bottom. Usually a basal
keiki only forms when the crown (center of the swirl of leaves at the
top) is rotting. So check that out too. If the top is growing new
leaves and you have decent roots below the keiki - pop it back in the
pot and let it be for a while. If the keiki when you uncover it, has
its own roots ( at least 4 inches when you sum all the keiki roots)
you can detach it gently from Mom. Then since you have Mom out of the
pot - go ahead and pot her up in fresh mix.

If the bottom of the plant is rotting and the keiki has no roots to
speak of you will need to cut off the rot and put cinnamon (yes from
the spice cabinet) on the cut. This antibacterial will help heal the
cut and may stop the rot. Then you will need to keep the keiki above
the mix. This may involve using sphagnum moss to cover the bottom
half the aerial roots and letting the plant rest more on an angle than
you prefer to grow it. When enough roots come off the keiki or the
base at the level of the keiki detach the keiki and pot it up.
Because the keiki has very few or no roots to speak of you will need
to keep an eye on it. This plant will be identical to Mom - if Mom
has a tag make the same one for the keiki. IF not give Mom a 'house
name' and tag the keiki the same. In a couple of years you will have
two plants close enough you may need the tag to remind you who is Mom.

Many of us use NOID as a name meaning no identification or Phal HD for
Phal Home Depot. You can develop your own 'house names'.

Good luck
When you have them both blooming post the photos over on
alt.binaries.pictures.orchids . Do not post a photo here on RGO.
This is a text only site. In the meantime please join us on ABPO, we
enjoy beautiful photos of plants from around the world. Almost every
day there is a new view to enjoy.
Old 01-08-2006, 04:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

wrote:

http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/repot2.jpg and
http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/repot3.jpg
IN this one it looks like 4 younger leaves at the soil level , then abare
area with a whole lot of roots(?) coming out, then a lot of more mature
leaves This is a Dtps Brother Vanessa Hannay "Deleon #1" if it makes any
difference at all. Just repot at the leve l of the lower leaves?

This plant appears to have a basal keiki. That is a baby growing
below the main plant off the base stem of the main plant. Treat it
gently when you take it out of the pot. You should be able to grow
Mom and the baby if your careful. On the other hand if the mix is not
rotting you may want to wait to repot until baby is larger.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids

I've gone back to look at the pictures about 4 times now and I still
don't see a keiki or basal off shoot at all. I know he described the
lower leaves as younger but I believe (until further evidence is shown)
he is mistaken. I see a single trunk with one dying leaf above 4 healthy
ones. That's an odd situation so I'll keep an open mind.

Steve
Old 01-08-2006, 05:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Mon, 31 Jul 2006 23:32:05 -0400, Steve wrote:

http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/repot3.jpg

Steve take a look at this photo. This is the one that convinced me.
I can see a v pattern in the center meeting of the younger leaves..
under the roots, a new life is born.

Old 02-08-2006, 04:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Susan Erickson wrote:
Steve take a look at this photo. This is the one that convinced me.
I can see a v pattern in the center meeting of the younger leaves..
under the roots, a new life is born.

SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids

Thanks for the explanation, Susan. I am seriously trying to see what you
are describing but I just don't see it. All I can see is a single trunk
with mature leaves only. Four leaves at the bottom with older roots
coming from between them, then the dead leaf, then more leaves farther
up with younger roots just now growing out from between them.
If I'm still missing the obvious, maybe Bruce will take another picture
that shows the offshoot branching off from the original trunk?

Steve
PS I just took yet another look at both of the photos of that plant.
The OTHER picture,
http://katkom01.home.comcast.net/repot2.jpg
I can almost let my mind make me think I'm seeing a 2nd crown with the 4
lower leaves. The 4th leaf from the bottom looks fresh and young and I
can easily imagine a new crown hidden by the roots. Then I look again at
the other picture, that you mentioned, and the illusion is gone. I still
see a single trunk. If that 4th leaf was really the newest leaf on a
keiki, why would there be roots emerging from just below the top (4th)
leaf? You are seeing the bottom 4 leaves as the new plant, right?
Yeah, I've written far more than the situation calls for.

Old 02-08-2006, 06:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Steve is correct on that. It is just one long trunk. 4 leaves at the
bottom, a couple of missing leaves and several more larger leaves. The
roots are all coming out righ where each leaf joins the trunk, on both
sides, at 90 degrees to the leaf. As if the root was used to pin the leaf
on.

http://home.comcast.net/~katkom01/orchid/orchid.html for more pictures, even
though the closeup does not reveal much more becasue of the tangel of roots!

Old 02-08-2006, 02:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 00:06:59 -0500, "Bruce Musgrove"
wrote:

Steve is correct on that. It is just one long trunk. 4 leaves at the
bottom, a couple of missing leaves and several more larger leaves. The
roots are all coming out righ where each leaf joins the trunk, on both
sides, at 90 degrees to the leaf. As if the root was used to pin the leaf

OK, no Keiki. Shucks It appears to be streaching for the light,
thus space between leaves.. But this is a new acquisition. So maybe
your situation will allow it to grow a more normal cluster.

Old 03-08-2006, 04:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I tried a couple more pictures including a hi res close-up, and you just
can't get a clear look at it. The big problem is the blank area between the
upper larger leaves and lower smaller leaves. Several leaves have died back
leaving a open area and it is just a mess of closely spaced roots that make
it difficult to see the single straight trunk. Oh Well. Two new hi res
photos are just posted of the same plant. One of them gives a slightly
better look but not much.

I did take a few pictures of my Dendrobium's (Red Emperor "Prince") keiki
and updated the page I posted yesterday. I have had this one for about 6
months and the keiki's appeared about a week after I got it and repotted it,
and they have just taken off. There are three total of two mature stems and
they range from 5 inches to 10 inches long. It likes something in that pot!
I also added new root pictures from another phal that I just found
interesting. Reminds me of the old song "The worms crawl in, the worms
crawl out, the worms play pinochle on his snout"!