Old 08-08-2006, 01:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
CJD CJD is offline

Default Growing Orchids in Seattle

I'm hoping someone in this knowledgeable group can give me some information.
How difficult is it to keep orchids in Seattle? I'm not talking about a
greenhouse, but just in a normal home situation. What orchids do well in
Seattle's climate? Do they require special care?

Old 08-08-2006, 11:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

There are about 30,000 naturally occurring species and well over 200,000
hybrids out there, so finding one that will work for you is probably not a
daunting task.

However, "in a home in Seattle" is not a sufficiently good definition of the
growing conditions to do so, and suggests you should do some more reading
about orchids and their needs before venturing further into what can become
quite addicting.

Start by reading this: http://www.firstrays.com/beginner.htm. In addition
to giving some good general advice, there's a link to the American Orchid
Society's website, in which you'll find links to local growers and orchid
societies, and they can be some of your best resources.

Old 08-08-2006, 01:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
CJD CJD is offline

Thanks. I'll take a look at that link and also check the AOS website.
Someone told me it was difficult to grow orchids in Seattle, but it would
seem to have the perfect climate: temps between 40-80, lots of indirect
light, and a misting sort of rain. So I was a little surprised by the
person's comment. Checking a local orchid society is an excellent
suggestion, and I don't know why I didn't think of this initially. Thanks
again.

Old 08-08-2006, 04:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

One of the biggest orchid growers/hybridizers was from the Seattle area.
Baker & Chandry. Used to grow on or near Vashon Island. Grew Miltoniopsis
(pansy shaped orchids) Masdevallias, odontoglossums, and well, just about
everything. The company broke up after the owners passed away. In addition
to looking at the AOS web page for a society near you, look at the orchid
mall for vendors near you. IIRC there were some good ones.
http://www.orchidmall.com

K Barrett

Old 15-08-2006, 12:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

There are several orchid societies in the greater Seattle area. Mount Baker
Orchid Society, Northwest Orchid Society, Tacoma Orchid Society, Federal Way
Orchid Society, Olympia Orchid Society, Puget Sound Orchid Study Group, and
even a society on the Olympic Peninsula in the Sequim area. Google is your
friend.

David

Old 16-08-2006, 11:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Never heard of Baker and Chandry, but Beall's Orchids was on
Vashon Island- not far at all from Seattle.

They used to send a free seedling with every order over $25, I
think it was. Of course, it was always something cool-growing that
perished horribly, but they still had wonderful plants.

I am now to understand they do only roses- if they're even in that
biz- and hang up quite angrily when queried about old orchid matters.

The address in the header is bogus. Send no email there.

Cheers,

-AJHicks
Chandler, AZ

Old 19-08-2006, 01:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
CJD CJD is offline

Google is actually my best friend. However, I thought this might be a good
place to come for some opinions. My daughter just moved to Seattle
recently, and I was wondering if, given their climate, an orchid would be a
plant I could recommend. I think I have my answer now. Thank you.

news

Old 20-08-2006, 04:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Theresa Hill of Hillside?? Hillview?? Orchids grows some beyuoootiful
Miltoniopsis (pansy) orchids. Google it or go to the Orchid Mall
(http://www.orchidmall.com) to find her site/list. Maybe you can get
your daughter a nice welcome orchid. Most places ship.

BTW, did you see where Google is afraid of trademark infringement when
people say 'google it'? They think someone will use a competing search
engine when they 'Google'... rather like 'Xerox' when one wanted to
copy something or 'Scotchtape' something together.... or 'amazoning' a
book (in order to read the first few pages (if available) to see if it
to one's taste.)

Luckily language is a living thing and - as we learned from 'Jurassic
Park' - life will find a way...

K Barrett

CJD wrote:
Google is actually my best friend. However, I thought this might be a good
place to come for some opinions. My daughter just moved to Seattle
recently, and I was wondering if, given their climate, an orchid would be a
plant I could recommend. I think I have my answer now. Thank you.

"David Edgley" wrote in message
news
There are several orchid societies in the greater Seattle area. Mount
Baker Orchid Society, Northwest Orchid Society, Tacoma Orchid Society,
Federal Way Orchid Society, Olympia Orchid Society, Puget Sound Orchid
Study Group, and even a society on the Olympic Peninsula in the Sequim
area. Google is your friend.

David

.. .

Old 20-08-2006, 10:07 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
CJD CJD is offline

This is wonderful info. I will definitely be looking into that for her.
Thank you so much.
I would think Google would be flattered to become the generic name for using
a search engine. )

. ..

CJD wrote:
Google is actually my best friend. However, I thought this might be a
good place to come for some opinions. My daughter just moved to Seattle
recently, and I was wondering if, given their climate, an orchid would be
a plant I could recommend. I think I have my answer now. Thank you.

"David Edgley" wrote in message
news
There are several orchid societies in the greater Seattle area. Mount
Baker Orchid Society, Northwest Orchid Society, Tacoma Orchid Society,
Federal Way Orchid Society, Olympia Orchid Society, Puget Sound Orchid
Study Group, and even a society on the Olympic Peninsula in the Sequim
area. Google is your friend.

David

. ..

Old 21-08-2006, 02:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sun, 20 Aug 2006 21:07:31 GMT, "CJD" wrote:

This is wonderful info. I will definitely be looking into that for her.
Thank you so much.
I would think Google would be flattered to become the generic name for using
a search engine. )

But once they become *generic* they loose the copyright unless they
fight every step of the way. That is why facial tissue is Kleenex
here and hardly ever tied to Kimberly Clark or capitalized.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids

Old 21-08-2006, 08:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I've been lurking for ages and decided this is finally something I know
lots about, so it is time to delurk!!

Theresa Hill has her greenhouse in my area and has truly lovely orchids,
however her website is sadly out of date. The following is her contact
information and I'm sure if you e-mail or call her she would send you a
copy of her latest .pdf catalog.

Theresa Hill
E-Mail Hillsview
Ordering Fax (503) 658-7743
Greenhouse (503) 829-9808

Hillsview Gardens
PO BOX 1076
Milino, OR 97042

Beverly

(

Old 21-08-2006, 09:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thanks Beverly. I see I was mistaken about her location, too. [blush]
Being in Oregon instead of Seattle area. Nevertheless she does have
beautiful plants. Typical Californian, anything east of the Sierras or
north of Redding just doesn't register on our radars...

K Barrett

Old 21-08-2006, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
CJD CJD is offline

This is great! It may not be Settle, but Oregon is close enough. LOL. I'm
in Florida, so to me Oregon is pretty close to Seattle.

. ..

Old 22-08-2006, 03:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Actually Seattle is only a 2.5-3 hour drive from Portland and the
climate is pretty similar. Seattle does tend to be a bit cooler and
wetter. Neither area gets cold temps below freezing more then a couple
of nights in the winter with maybe a day or two of snow maximum. Highs
in the summer reach 90 or greater for 10-15 days scattered over the
summer. Our biggest problem in growing orchids is very low humidity in
the summer, requiring humidifiers and lots of misting. Most commercial
growers and hobbiests in the area tend to grow cool to intermediate.

Both Portland and Seattle have a lot of residents that are California
transplants and they seem to thrive grin

Beverly

CJD wrote:
This is great! It may not be Settle, but Oregon is close enough. LOL. I'm
in Florida, so to me Oregon is pretty close to Seattle.

. ..

news7mdnbOh9cgsmHzZnZ2dnUVZ_sKdnZ2d@whidbey tel.com...

There are several orchid societies in the greater Seattle area. Mount
Baker Orchid Society, Northwest Orchid Society, Tacoma Orchid Society,
Federal Way Orchid Society, Olympia Orchid Society, Puget Sound Orchid
Study Group, and even a society on the Olympic Peninsula in the Sequim
area. Google is your friend.

David

om...

Old 25-08-2006, 12:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
CJD CJD is offline

Thanks for all the info, which is excellent. I was looking at the cool to
intermediate orchids for my daughter. We were there this summer, so I do
understand that she needs to be consistent about misting at that time of
year. We thought it was dry, but being from Florida, we consider anything
less than 60% humidity "dry." ha

CJD wrote:
This is great! It may not be Settle, but Oregon is close enough. LOL.
I'm in Florida, so to me Oregon is pretty close to Seattle.

. ..

CJD wrote:

Google is actually my best friend. However, I thought this might be a
good place to come for some opinions. My daughter just moved to
Seattle recently, and I was wondering if, given their climate, an
orchid would be a plant I could recommend. I think I have my answer
now. Thank you.

"David Edgley" wrote in message
news7mdnbOh9cgsmHzZnZ2dnUVZ_sKdnZ2d@whidbe ytel.com...

There are several orchid societies in the greater Seattle area.
Mount Baker Orchid Society, Northwest Orchid Society, Tacoma Orchid
Society, Federal Way Orchid Society, Olympia Orchid Society, Puget
Sound Orchid Study Group, and even a society on the Olympic Peninsula
in the Sequim area. Google is your friend.

David

. com...