Old 17-09-2006, 11:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Wal Mart orchid pitures

Some pictures of the Orchids I purchased at Wal-mart on my recent trip to
Wichita Falls, Texas

Also included are my 3 new (my first) spikes and a new one at wal-mart today

Anyone have a spare greenhouse?

Old 17-09-2006, 04:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I bet it is a hybrid of it. In googling Odontocidium WildCat, I see several
that are reeaaalll close, and several Dead on pictures for ones that were at
the same Wal-mart.

news%bPg.1221$W13.162@trnddc05...

Old 17-09-2006, 05:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sun, 17 Sep 2006 13:23:32 GMT, "Ray" wrote:

There's no way to know for certain, but I'd bet your "unknown for Wal-Mart'
is Odontocidium (formerly Colmanara) Wildcatt.

As Ray says the first Wallyworld special is a wildcatt most likely.
The yellow is an Oncidium of the type know as dancing ladies. There
are several popular hybrids that this could be.

Enjoy they should both reward good care with lots of blooms. Some of
the wildcatts are shy about producting roots - so keep an eye on that
one. Make sure it is not overly wet.
SuE
http://orchids.legolas.org/gallery/orchids

Old 17-09-2006, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Wally gave you some nice ones, Bruce. Enjoy!

Diana

Old 18-09-2006, 02:36 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

The Yellow one is an Oncidium hybrid. It could be Sweet Sugar or Gower
Ramsay. Without seeing the size of the flower I can't tell which it is.
Sweet Sugar is a larger flower than Gower Ramsay.

Gene

Old 18-09-2006, 07:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I looked at several and I thought it looked more like BobCat to me. The
labellum in Bloody Ruby is oulined in a diffferent color, and most of the
sepals / petals appear to have no color tips. Mine has a solid color
labellum with yelllow tipped sepals / petals.

Old 18-09-2006, 07:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Thank You. Imade the mistake of stopping at Home Depot Landscape Center
today. Must be orchid season....... They had several intersting ones
including four variants of the Odontocidium Wildcat. I came home with 3
more orchids, which are now posted to the same page at
http://home.comcast.net/~katkom01/neworchid/album/ (near the bottom).

One had no tag.
One was tagged DPTS. Pulcherrima x P. Buddha's Treasure (AKA 'Lava Glow').
Unfortunately lookling at internet pics it looks morelike a DTPS Earth Star
based on it's distinctive "glowing" labellum which Lava Glow does not appear
to have.
One was tagged Burr. Nelly Isler 'Swiss Beauty

Old 18-09-2006, 11:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Bruce,

Don't count on being able to positively identify a hybrid from it's
appearance. In this yellow oncidium case, it's next to impossible, even
with the size thrown in. There are Sweet Sugar cultivars with huge lips and
some with smaller lips. Likewise, there are Gower Ramsays of all sizes, as
well. Then there are other hybrids - some using one of them as a parent -
that muddy the water completely.

The simple fact is that unless the plant is labeled and you trust the
source, you will never be absolutely certain.

Old 18-09-2006, 11:46 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

It could be either one, or neither of them!

A clone of a particular cultivar may have the genetics to look exactly like
the original plant, but that doesn't guarantee that it will. Ignoring the
mutations that do occur in that process, culture can play a role as well.

Old 19-09-2006, 06:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Would Wal mart, Lowes and Home Depot be a trusted source????

I have / am learning to check the label and research the internet to see if
other users pictures match to my labels and blooms. There have been a few
interesting label switches at Home Depot and Lowes. One this weekend was
fairly obviously a Baldan's Kaleidoscope Golden Treasure ( based on my own
previous purchase, research and the 4 other ones around it) but it had a
tag of P. Sogo Pride on it. The tag was deep in the pot and was stuck to the
dirt as if it had been there for a while.

I see simialr mix ups at these stores all the time when they even have tags.

Old 19-09-2006, 04:36 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

We were in HD a few days ago on a non-orchid related foray. The gal in the
garden area was retagging slews of orchids - $10 each, with good tags. She
said they were selling off all *out of bloom* orchids. We bought three
mature Vandas and a Phal, all previously bloomed. Not bad for a couple of
people who don't usually buy orchids there!

Diana