Old 13-09-2008, 12:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Default Texas?

Good grief, it looks bad. Shout out to any of our peeps in the path of Ike.
Florida has had its share, but in our particular area it is unlikely - read,
improbable - that we could ever see anything like Galveston is about to
experience.

Hurricanes or no, we feel fortunate to be where we are. Wendy, "cross
thumbs" for Texas.

Diana

Old 13-09-2008, 12:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I work a lot with a lot of folks in Houston and Beaumont. Warehouses,
chemical plants, and even the port closed on Thursday, so folks could
high-tail it out of there.

Hope they did.

.. .

Old 13-09-2008, 05:30 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

Yes Diana, have been holding thumbs & crossing fingers, have friends there
in Houston about 1 mile from the I45.
Ike has devistated the Houston, Galviston & surrounding areas & watching the
Storm Tracker on TV, it will turn & go in
a NE direction towards Rochester NY!!!!
What a mess, my heart goes out to all the people affected.
Cheers Wendy

Old 13-09-2008, 08:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

We don't normally have the boob tube on during the day, but it's on today.
That sky scraper in Houston - wow. All the windows, gone. Do you know it,
Ray? No pictures of Galveston yet.

Diana

Old 14-09-2008, 02:25 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

There are lots of towers on Houston. I have not seen enough to know which
it is.

Besides, my friends down there don't live in them...

. ..

Old 14-09-2008, 02:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

It's the JP Morgan Chase building, supposedly the tallest structure in
Houston at 1,000 feet, 75 stories. All the windows are shattered. It's not
residential. Other nearby buildings are similarly damaged.

The whole place is a mess. I hope your friends are all okay. The yahoos who
decided to ride it out in Galveston at a bar called the Poop Deck are, I
hope, properly chastened. Provided that they are unharmed (which I fervently
hope they are), dealing with the aftermath with a hangover should be an eye
opener.

Diana

Old 15-09-2008, 12:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 15:47:01 -0400 in Diana Kulaga wrote:
We don't normally have the boob tube on during the day, but it's on today.
That sky scraper in Houston - wow. All the windows, gone. Do you know it,
Ray? No pictures of Galveston yet.

Ever landed at the Houston airport?
If you look across the swamp while you're getting off the plane towards
Houston, you'd think Houston was the holy city of some phallic deity.
You might want to specify which sky scraper, although I can pretty much
bet that it's the case for every sky scraper on Galveston island.
Currently I'm very glad I always said no to the insurance companies that
wanted me to work IT in Galveston. I just hope that most folks could
actually heed the warning (I seem to recall the evacuation order wasn't
until last moment).

Oh, and speaking of obscene skyscrapers... If you're ever in
San Francisco, you should look for the group of Oracle buildings
in Redwood City... they're flipping the bird in the general
direction of Redmond, Washington.
--
Chris Dukes
"Let all the babies be born. Then let us drown those we do not like."
Old 15-09-2008, 12:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

I should have been more specific. It was the JP Morgan Chase building. Of
course, others were impacted as well.

As the photos continue to appear, I feel as if we were whining here in FL in
'04 after Frances, etc. No power and some buildings damaged. Wowee. Compared
to what has happened in TX, it was a piece of cake. It looks like Galveston
is basically destroyed.

Diana

Old 15-09-2008, 01:17 AM posted to rec.gardens.orchids

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 19:49:43 -0400 in Diana Kulaga wrote:
I should have been more specific. It was the JP Morgan Chase building. Of
course, others were impacted as well.

*sigh* for some reason this reminds me of an Annie Lennox song...

As the photos continue to appear, I feel as if we were whining here in FL in
'04 after Frances, etc. No power and some buildings damaged. Wowee. Compared
to what has happened in TX, it was a piece of cake. It looks like Galveston
is basically destroyed.

You'd think they would have learned something in 1900...

Diana

wrote:
[...]

picking a small tree in Austin Texas James Lawns 1 19-03-2003 12:44 AM
Garden Fertilizer for Texas Snowfeet1 Gardening 11 17-03-2003 10:42 PM
Natives of Texas (URL) animaux Texas 8 25-02-2003 03:29 PM
Recommendations for Texas? DFStoneJr Roses 4 31-01-2003 05:21 PM
[AD] Caretaker Wanted in Texas Pat McDonald Permaculture 0 31-12-2002 04:54 PM