Old 09-08-2003, 11:42 PM
Diana Kulaga

Default Now I've Done It!

Look what I've done! I was repotting a Phal today, and Frank was watching.
I mentioned that the new center leaf is very delicate at this stage. Then -
I snapped it off. I can't believe I did it. Have never done this before.
It seems like such a rudimentary question, and I think I know the answer,
but I need reassurance. Please tell me that another leaf will grow anyway?
Please?

As punishment, I am going to stand in the rain, which is currently
substantial, until my crown rots. Yeesh.

Diana

Old 10-08-2003, 12:02 AM
GrlIntrpted

Diana, the phal will be just fine, in fact so fine that the energy that it
was putting into the new growth will be redirected into a new and much
stronger growth!
Hang in there lady, and get back in the house

Mariana

hlink.net...

Old 10-08-2003, 12:02 AM
profpam

Hi, Diana,

A new shoot will sometimes form in phals when the terminal bud is
removed; however, this happens more frequently for vandas types which
have been subject to crown rot and all roots and leaves are not only in
tact but also in good condition.

.. . . Pam
Everything Orchid Management System
http://www.pe.net/~profpam/page3.html

Old 10-08-2003, 12:02 AM
disy

"Diana Kulaga" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Look what I've done! I was repotting a Phal today, and Frank was

watching.
I mentioned that the new center leaf is very delicate at this stage.

Then -
I snapped it off. I can't believe I did it. Have never done this before.
It seems like such a rudimentary question, and I think I know the answer,
but I need reassurance. Please tell me that another leaf will grow

anyway?
Please?

As punishment, I am going to stand in the rain, which is currently
substantial, until my crown rots. Yeesh.

Diana

Greetings to another Diana, first get out of the rain! You'll be okay and
so will the phal. (well at least my experience has been that way). These
are hearty plants! It seems no matter what I do, or how neglectful I can
be, they always seem to get stronger and more beautiful. Good luck!

Diana

Old 10-08-2003, 12:12 AM
Tom Randy

On Sat, 09 Aug 2003 18:36:48 -0400, Diana Kulaga wrote:

Look what I've done! I was repotting a Phal today, and Frank was
watching. I mentioned that the new center leaf is very delicate at this
stage. Then - I snapped it off. I can't believe I did it. Have never
done this before. It seems like such a rudimentary question, and I think
I know the answer, but I need reassurance. Please tell me that another
leaf will grow anyway? Please?

As punishment, I am going to stand in the rain, which is currently
substantial, until my crown rots. Yeesh.

Diana

Your Phal will be fine. Don't stand out there too long, you'll prune up
and get all shrively!

Old 10-08-2003, 12:12 AM
Kenni Judd

Hi, Diana: You must come in out of the rain to read the answers! And, of
course, to maintain your own health so that you can take care of the rest of
your orchids G.

Chances are, it did not break low enough to take out the "growing point."
If that's the case, another new leaf will come from the top. But even if it
did break low, there's a better than even probability that the plant will
initiate a new "growing point." In that event, it might look a bit weird
for a while, with the new growth coming out from between 2 lower leaves, but
it will still grow and bloom for you.

Good growing,

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 10-08-2003, 01:02 AM
Steve

Diana, it's probably even LESS serious than what some others have
written. It's almost impossible that you have damaged the actual growing
point. Most likely, the broken leaf still has more growing to do and and
will continue to emerge with it's tip missing. That is, unless I'm
picturing it wrong and that leaf was finished growing but still new.
Even then, I would expect a new leaf soon. The only thing is, instead of
left-right-left-right, you will have left-right-right-left. (If that
makes no sense at all to you, ignore it!) :-)

Steve

Old 10-08-2003, 01:12 AM
Wendy

Diana, Please......please get Frank to take a picture of you & the rotting
crown! *G*
This is a must see, I know you can pull it off. Of course Frank will have to
be
under cover.
Isn't there a song.....Blue Eyes Crying In The Rain.
Oh, btw.....don't forget the cinnamon!
Cheers Wendy

Old 10-08-2003, 02:12 AM
Diana Kulaga

You guys are all nuts, like me, and I appreciate all of you so much! I know
that the Phal will be okay, if not happy that I broke its arm (well, who
would be happy about a broken arm?).

Wendy - I have brown eyes. Brown eyes crying in the rain? I'll see if
Frank will take a picture of me weeping for the lost leaf.

Meanwhile, rest assured that I have abandonded the torrents for the dryer
interior of the house, and I will drown my sorrows in some peppermint
schnapps and coffee momentarily.

The crown is intact.......

Diana

Old 10-08-2003, 03:12 AM
Ray

Just be careful to avoid getting what's left of the crown wet...

I did the same, swabbed the area with keiki paste, and the plant had a total
recovery.

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 10-08-2003, 06:02 AM
Susan Erickson

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 00:58:30 GMT, "Diana Kulaga"
wrote:

I will drown my sorrows in some peppermint
schnapps and coffee momentarily.
Diana

ME TOO.... That sounds so good.
SuE
Old 10-08-2003, 03:22 PM
LYNN32141

In article k.net, "Diana
Kulaga" writes:

new center leaf is very delicate at this stage. Then -
I snapped it off. I can't believe I did it.

I don't know, but it must be in the water.. Today my husband was moving my
beautiful dendrobium and broke the flower shoot right off of it..... ARGH. I
was soooooo mad............ I know it was an accident, but this is the one
with the dark beautiful purple flowers and i would have had it bloom for the
2nd year... OH well..

Lynn
Old 10-08-2003, 05:43 PM
K Barrett

You know, I've done that and had the leaf continue to grow, just be cut at
the tip.

K Barrett
(I understand rain water is a good source of N.)

Old 10-08-2003, 06:32 PM
K Barrett

Well, all may not be lost, Lynn. IIRC, dendrobiums like yours will grow
several spikes from the same cane tip, (like 4??? Something like that) So if
you snapped one off and the plants still has the urge to bloom, then it does
have the ability to make another spike.

K Barrett

Old 10-08-2003, 07:32 PM
Diana Kulaga

This is such a healthy plant otherwise.....I'm not all that worried about
it. I was just *p*d off at myself for being so klutzy.

The peppermint schnapps worked wonders.

Diana