Old 20-08-2003, 12:12 PM
Diane Mancino

Default O.T. National Do Not Call List is Up

do you ever wonder how much they get paid per email?

The do not call doesn't go into affect till Oct if you've subscribed
already, but my phone isn't ringing as much already. Maybe the lists as
being circulated early. I was hanging up on them, but hung up on a few good
calls! My son hung up on the banker who called to say our refinancing was
approved! That's how maddening it had gotten. Now I'm asking who is
calling and please remove me- of course if it's a recorded message- forget
it.

"Susan Erickson" wrote in message
On 19 Aug 2003 12:46:39 -0700, (Foo Finder)
wrote:

Hi all,

"The National Do Not Call Registry is open for business, putting

Hope it works as well as the Colorado list. *g* Wouldn't it be
a dream if we could have a no spam list that really worked?
Snoozing on the keys.
SuE

Old 20-08-2003, 06:42 PM
femalestrom

Not sure what the big fuss is about. With caller id I just
do not pick up anything that says "out of area". 95% of
the time, it is phone spam. Occasionally family from out
of state will use those 10-10 call around plans and they
also list as out of state, but they leave a message and we
call them back. Usually my mother in law, and since
she only calls about once a month, not really a big deal.

Oddly enough my Aunt works in the credit dept at
Citibank doing balance transfers. Not calling people, but
those who call in for a balance transfer. She said at
least at her company, they are required to make you say
you do not want whatever product they are selling at
least 2-3 times. So while it seems annoying a lot of
companies will not take "no" the first time, they are just
doing their jobs.

Crystal

--
http://home.comcast.net/~xtals/orchid.htm
news

Old 20-08-2003, 11:22 PM
Kenni Judd

I don't want to cause anyone's nice aunt to lose her job, nor am I a big fan
of micro-legislation, but that kind of rule is really inappropriate.

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com
t...

Old 20-08-2003, 11:22 PM
Kenni Judd

A no-spam list? Sign me up! I've received over 200 today, not counting the
ones that my filters caught. Most of the 200 relied on words that I just
can't afford to filter out, like "Thanks" and "Details," which are often
used in customer email ...

--
Kenni Judd
Juno Beach Orchids

http://www.jborchids.com

Old 21-08-2003, 01:42 AM
Ray

All of the "Thanks" and Details" emails contain a virus...

.. . . . . . . . . . .

Old 21-08-2003, 02:02 AM
femalestrom

I agree. I was a little surprised this was actually part of the
job description. She needs the job, but really hates it there.
If you knew the stories she told me... and I tend to believe
them rather than your typical I hate my job stories - since
their employment is a revolving door kind of thing.

Crystal
--
http://home.comcast.net/~xtals/orchid.htm
.. .

Old 23-08-2003, 05:02 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 11:05:07 GMT, "Diane Mancino"
wrote:

do you ever wonder how much they get paid per email?

The do not call doesn't go into affect till Oct if you've subscribed
already, but my phone isn't ringing as much already. Maybe the lists as
being circulated early. I was hanging up on them, but hung up on a few good
calls! My son hung up on the banker who called to say our refinancing was
approved! That's how maddening it had gotten. Now I'm asking who is
calling and please remove me- of course if it's a recorded message- forget
it.

In Colorado by law within the first minute they have to id them
selves and the company calling. If you ask they have to give the
address and phone number of the office.

You can burn a lot of them in one day. Many of these characters
are instructed to stay on the line until you hang up. So some
people here just put the phone down near a radio or something
that makes noise. One guy said he practiced his speech on one of
them. I love the ones who can not pronounce your name. They ask
for Mr. Eck-ker-son. I say no one by that name is here. CLICK.

SuE
Old 23-08-2003, 05:02 AM
Susan Erickson

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 20:36:02 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

All of the "Thanks" and Details" emails contain a virus...

Gone for 3 days - 65 viruses caught in my filter to remove.
most were details, or your order, or details requested and
wild screen saver. Really tiresome.
SuE

Old 23-08-2003, 03:32 PM
Susan Erickson

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 21:22:40 -0700, "Wendy"
wrote:

Only Silver and Obsidian - The trip was to Santa Fe.
SuE
Old 23-08-2003, 03:42 PM
Steve

Susan Erickson wrote:
Only Silver and Obsidian - The trip was to Santa Fe.
SuE

Darn, I thought for a brief moment that this thread might end up being
about orchids after all. ;-)

I was tempted to join in this thread from the beginning. Better late
than never. ...
Here in NY state, we have had a "do not call list" for a while now. (2
or 3 years?) I'm still amazed at how well it works! We went from 2 or 3
calls a day to 2 or 3 calls a year. If anyone is tempted to not bother
being on the list, do it anyway. I would expect the national list to
work as well as the NY list has worked.

Steve

Old 23-08-2003, 04:32 PM
Ray

Same is true here in PA, only it's relatively new.

I just LOVE asking the few that do call if they realize they are violating a
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania regulation by placing this call. The typical
response is "click."

Old 23-08-2003, 10:22 PM
Steve

Ray wrote:

I just LOVE asking the few that do call if they realize they are violating a
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania regulation by placing this call. The typical
response is "click."

Gotta love that! It's great having all the power again. :-)

Steve